Yamaha Special 650 - barn find - Identifying

YamahaSpecial

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came across this Yamaha Special 650 I believe the VIN was 2F0-212459 which I think puts it in as a XS650SG 3G1 1980, is this correct?

Attachments

• 4E5911C3-85EB-4196-9934-80210B7C7546.jpeg
    4E5911C3-85EB-4196-9934-80210B7C7546.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 132
First, welcome to the forum!!!
Second, you got your belt and shoes swapped... :lmao: Here, I flipped it for ya.
Third, yes... looks to be an 80SG.
What's your plans for it?
That a 63-64 Falcon in the background?

4E5911C3-85EB-4196-9934-80210B7C7546.jpeg

First, welcome to the forum!!!
Second, you got your belt and shoes swapped... :lmao: Here, I flipped it for ya.
Third, yes... looks to be an 80SG.
What's your plans for it?
That a 63-64 Falcon in the background?

View attachment 191449
Jim thanks for the quick response and thanks for welcoming me.

Well after years the owner of the property wanted to add lights to the ol’ barn and the electrician told him he can’t get access to anything because it was piled up so bad.

He offered the bike to me for free. I’m trying to figure out if I want to get it running and ride it, get it cleaned up and sell it, or if there isn’t any value just post it for free and make someone’s day.

Ford fairlane I believe. (Car)

Can you explain what the 80SG is? I’m using the VIN decoder, maybe I read it wrong. I took a screen shot.

Attachments

• D4707C82-1DB8-47A3-8BD6-EE6C5F69FC63.jpeg
    D4707C82-1DB8-47A3-8BD6-EE6C5F69FC63.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 90
This chart's from the Tech section. I've circled you vin group.

Untitled.png

If this was me the first thing I would do is pour in a little oil into the cylinders . Not kicking it just yet.
Then take it out hose it down .perhaps even wash
Taking some more pictures posting here
One of the odometer of the mileage
But so far I cant see any dents neither on tank nor fenders.
I have had 2 -- 1980 ies ..
And not knowing much of the rest of this bike I can see some value there.
This can even be a solid start for getting a runner.
Rather important is if it is rust on the exhaust or only dirt that can be washed and polished away.
And the mileage
Can the owner tell anything.
Here not under $ 400 ..more pictures can give a better estimate
If no dents and polish able ...With an engine that turns .. and shift gears
Not to high mileage not under $800

If this was me the first thing I would do is pour in a little oil into the cylinders . Not kicking it just yet.
Then take it out hose it down .perhaps even wash
Taking some more pictures posting here
One of the odometer of the mileage
But so far I cant see any dents neither on tank nor fenders.
I have had 2 -- 1980 ies ..
And not knowing much of the rest of this bike I can see some value there.
This can even be a solid start for getting a runner.
Rather important is if it is rust on the exhaust or only dirt that can be washed and polished away.
And the mileage
Can the owner tell anything.
Here not under $ 400 ..more pictures can give a better estimate
If no dents and polish able ...With an engine that turns .. and shift gears
Not to high mileage not under $800
Add to that whether or not it comes with a title.

It’s been stored for 20 yrs in this barn it was previously undercover on running condition but the carbs needed a little tuneup, 8,000 miles on it. Tags expired in 86’ and most likely stored since then from what I heard. Only damage I see to it is the front right turn indicator as the bike was laying against a pile of other items.
Tires are slightly cracked but still need to be replaced, brake pads stick a bit to the rotor but my guess is dust buildup as they didn’t look rusty, hand clutch lever and brake lever don’t appear to function. I’m bringing it home this week to clean her up nicely. And get an idea of what work needs to be done.
No major rust, just a few freckles but that might be able to be wiped away and restored.

Attachments

• BBA0E0AB-8944-4FC5-B83C-1A270C69C8CA.jpeg
    BBA0E0AB-8944-4FC5-B83C-1A270C69C8CA.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 135
Yes, no title and it's just a parts bike. I don't value them at much more than a couple hundred at most. I paid $50 for one.
That may be the case in your state but not universally so in every state. In the state of Ks you no longer need a title for any vehicle made before 1985, only a bill of sale. As long as the VIN does not come back as stolen the state will issue a new title.

Here's a before and after of my 80SG.

P2168855.JPG 100.jpg

I gave $500 for my SG... and that was because it came with a title and you could ride. Was butt ugly, but it'd go down the road. The restoration cost a little over two grand including the cost of the bike. That's only doable though if you can do all the work yourself.... engine, paint.... everything. You can easily go up to 4-5K if you start farming work out. I'd guess my bike might fetch $2500-$3000..... so there's not really much in it for flipping.
Right now your big question is whether the engine runs or is locked up.... and does it have a title.

No ones tried to kick it over, it was covered up by stuff so I’ll be the first in many years.
Suggestions on what to do to prep a kick over after 20 years of sitting?

title is obtainable and a clean title I was told.

Suggestions on what to do to prep a kick over after 20 years of sitting?

For starters, pull and drain the tank... look and see how bad it is inside. Pull the float bowls and do the same. that's gonna determine how far you'll need to go as far as cleaning the carbs and tank. Pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder. Once you know it's free, spin it a dozen or so times to blow all the oil out, put fresh plugs back in it. Battery's gonna be toast....
Here... read this.

8000 miles this is typically a sort of bike what I look for
I don't care how it looks on the outside and never did since back in the day
Since the biggest problem was getting them to run even 30 -40 miles without a lot of oil.
I would try to get 2 -- 3 -- 4 times that mileage without opening the engine. On this
Perhaps not possible but definitely a bike I would consider.
I would not put in money on the finish or doing a " mint " restoration
I would ride it.
And If able to do the work yourself .. getting it to run and some maintenance.
( In my view there is no problem free 40 year old MC )
It can be done without big costs.
Tires and oil and such is normal costs for everyone.
So far it looks as a good start.

Can you explain what the 80SG is? I’m using the VIN decoder, maybe I read it wrong. I took a screen shot.

I did a visual ID with some written reference to the different models under most of the years from 74-83...........
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Most recommend Marvel mystery oil to un-seize motors..........as you don't know the condition yet before even trying to turn the engine over i would do this to lubricate the pistons before turning it over. take out the spark-plugs. Oil is as good as anything but i would thin it down as much as possible add some WD40..........(I have used diesel and wd40 when i have had a sitting vehicle that i wasn't going to get to for a while and it had a seized engine)........this will help it to penetrate, because you don't know if the pistons are on the down stroke or up stroke............ If they are on the down then the rings will be running dry, (that's why a good penitrant is needed),. if it is on the up stroke the rings will be running in the lubricant...........these engines have the both pistons going up and down together at the same time. Once it has sat for a day or 2 then use the kick start lever, (by hand or slowly by foot), to turn over the engine. I would forget about trying to use the electric start.
You are going to drain the oil so a bit of diesel wont do any harm.

Marvel Mystery Oil has a lovely smell, as far as petroleum products go. Once poured into the cylinders one could check the dipstick with a sniff test to see if it's passed the rings.

In case of a seized engin, drain the oil before adding mmo and leave the drain plug out. Place an empty bowl below the drain opening and then add some MMO to the cylinders.....mebbe a cup each. Wait until you see the MMO in the catch bowl, no telling how long for penetration. Take a half inch drive breaker bar and work the crank end nut on the stator rotor. A few good whacks with a rubber mallet or such and she may move.
Note - Place a couple of old rags over the open spark plug holes before whacking........

Trying to turn over a seized engine with the electric starter is a no. Trying to break it free with the kickstart could create problems. Go to the crank end.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't reinstall the spark plugs 'till all the oil is blown out of the cylinders.
Maybe give us a little background on your mechanical skills? Would help us with giving advice.

Whatever you do, don't reinstall the spark plugs 'till all the oil is blown out of the cylinders.
Maybe give us a little background on your mechanical skills? Would help us with giving advice.
I have swapped a turbo engine in a subaru, basic knowledge of vehicle parts.

0 knowledge on motorcycles, parts or costs. Consider me a beginner. I have tools, wrenches, mallets but nothing that would be specific to motorcycles.

Back