your memories from this day: 1980 SG

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
DSC04125.jpg

Microsoft OneDrive has started emailing me with photo memories from 7 years ago. I'm guessing a lot of you are getting these emails.

DSC04129.jpg

Here's a little something that I resurrected back in 2014. A 1980 SG in Cardinal Red. Pics were taken this day, October 27, 2014, for use in a craigslist ad.
See? I can do more than RustBuckets...

DSC04133.jpg

This case cover was polished in place. The engine was cleaned in the frame with a variety of brushes and tools.

DSC04129.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

DSC04131.jpg

Those footpeg ends always get rusty. The factory poorly finished them. Here's a N.O.S. rubber I scored off eBay and as you can see, they just gave it a quick brush of paint. It's even starting to rust through, lol .....

ZKmN8Rg.jpg

I'm not usually a White wall fan but they really pop on that bike with the red paint.
The white walls weren't my idea, but yes, they do work. I'm not usually a fan of Specials, but this one was good-looking. Had a nice side-hinge style seat.
Those footpeg ends always get rusty. The factory poorly finished them. Here's a N.O.S. rubber I scored off eBay and as you can see, they just gave it a quick brush of paint. It's even starting to rust through, lol .....

ZKmN8Rg.jpg
Was that peg in a sealed bag? That paint looks like the handiwork of a seller, not the factory.

Beautiful bike. Looks like you did a first class resto.
Being a little picky, and an SG owner at that.... there's no iggy wire coming out of the left cam cover on an SG... had the TCI iggy. SG had the cast aluminum grab rail, not the steel tube one and the reflectors on the SG are rectangular, not round. And the SG had the pull off seat, not the hinged one. That's a 78 or 79 SE or SF.
On the bright side, makes it even more desirable... :D

78SE...

XS650SE_02.jpg

79SF...

79SF.jpg

80SG...

xs650SG-4.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the BS38 carbs also indicate '79 or older.

I'm pretty sure that's the factory finish on that peg rubber. It was in a factory bag but they're only stapled shut so it's very possible someone was in there. But, pretty much every old one I've seen is rusty which leads me to believe Yamaha didn't finish them very well. I clean them up real good and carefully brush paint them with Rustoleum.

Mea culpa...
Yes, I should have known better. I now think it must have been a 1979 SF in Carmine Red. Plenty of clues. I completely blew that.
What I did, was to look at the MikesXS model I.D. page:
https://www.mikesxs.net/blog/yamaha-xs650-model-id-table/
My eyes went to "Cardinal Red," for the 80 SG, and I looked no further.

I can remember taking mine out the door for $2K. They (the Yamaha dealer) had two of them and I expect they wanted them gone. An ‘82 and an ‘83. It was October 1983. I liked chrome!

Last edited:
Back