Flat track project

20230621_180620.jpg

Gorgeous!
Love the color.
Looks like it would be a whole lot of fun to ride.
How is the split frame (using the engine as part of the frame) working out with regards to flex, etc? I like that look. Very clean.
Congratulations on a beautiful build!
Enjoy the trails..

Cheers BluzPlayer...I've completed a few heat cycles since the engine rebuild and today did about 10 miles actually riding it..the back brake needs another master cylinder as the current one is crap..The hydro clutch works a treat and those carbs are well worth the dollar.The suspension is firm but I can play with either spring rates (rear) or link changes..the front is fine under braking yet slightly harsh over bumpy roads but the frame seems fine..I guess..not sure how I'd know if it wasn't unless it was like a jelly.
My main surprise is the 19 inch wheel and tyre combo..the first ride around the block I found the gyroscopic effect quite alarming..after a few miles I found it easier to ride...I will get summer over with but I plan to change the rear shock or rather the reservoir for it so I can shorten the swingarm.Its wheelbase is currently the same as a standard xs within a inch or two but I'd like to shrink it....I should've done it earlier buy hey ho..its all a learning curve...

@Pipes,
Congratulations on your build! Love seeing the detailed fab work, but most of all the simplicity of the overall package. Looks like a wonderful bike to toss about on the right roads.
I going to put some more miles on it each night after work if possible until its bedded in.First I'm going to stick a couple of baffles in as it's obnoxiously loud 😖

Some folks might like the idea of loud, but eventually the reality of loud becomes just that, obnoxious.

When I had my Suzuki DL650, I bought a pretty pricey Two Brothers exhaust system for it, it was beautifully made and the welds looked like art work, but OMG was that exhaust thunderous.
IMG_6548.jpeg
Every time I rode out of my neighborhood it set off car alarms, and after coming home from a ride, my ears were ringing. Even with earplugs in, on a long ride that loud droning was tiring. I eventually went back to the stock exhaust and sold that Two Brothers system. It was fun being an old hooligan……for a minute. 😄

When I had my Suzuki DL650, I bought a pretty pricey Two Brothers exhaust system for it, it was beautifully made and the welds looked like art work, but OMG was that exhaust thunderous.
View attachment 246830
Every time I rode out of my neighborhood it set off car alarms, and after coming home from a ride, my ears were ringing. Even with earplugs in, on a long ride that loud droning was tiring. I eventually went back to the stock exhaust and sold that Two Brothers system. It was fun being an old hooligan……for a minute. 😄
I put an Akrapovic free flow system on my Honda VTR SP1.
Glorious sound on track days; but a freakin’ pain on a tour through France over the Alps to Italy. But I loved it till I threw it down the road after hitting horse shit on a B road. Oh well.

I have listened to my tracker as others have rode away on it. My efforts to quiet it down make it almost acceptable and it sounds really good as they ride away shifting early on a 25mph street. But...3000-5000 rpm (think Ozarks or Smokies) the sound is glorious for the first 10 minutes of each 2 hour ride.

View attachment 246830
I had that same Two Brothers system on my DL1000 V-Strom that I owned for many years.

The key to quieting that system down was using the gold colored inserts, readily found on Amazon.

I used them and never looked back, still had a great bark when you'd roll the throttle on but really calmed it down for regular riding around purposes.

I ended up selling the bike because I just never used it as much as I should have and needed the space more in my shop.

So,as I mentioned before my rear brake is crap...and after some time messing around with it it's still no better...the pedal is hard once pushed with very little to no braking.

It's a rebuilt Yamaha Yz caliper, new seals and piston etc,new steel line,rebuilt master and new reservoir...oh and new disc and sintered pads.

I've tried bleeding the line many a time..no air whatsoever.I almost condemned the master but once off the bike it plunges freely,it also operates OK when the bleed nipple is open.As soon as I close the nipple it goes hard as you'd expect even though it's harder than I expected..I've tried the trip of holding the caliper high and reverse bleeding but even with airless fluid it's not functioning correctly...I've loosened the caliper slightly to see if it's mounted on the wonk,no joy.The piston moves freely too.

My only thought were the pads!!!....I have ordered some different ones to rule them out but my attention turned to the disc last night..the pads seem awfully coarse and the disc shows signs of rough wear as if I've been running the pads metal to metal..do you think it could be simply poor material on those pads?...I've never seen a disc rough up the way this one has!!

Any thoughts?

Back