I do not know for certain but the fuel we use is not just gasoline and some percentage of ethanol anymore. Gasoline was a mix of heptane (7 carbon chain) and octane (8 carbon chain). 8 carbon chain octane is highly resistant to detonation. 7 carbon chain heptane is cheaper to produce. We have octane rating to represent how a fuel (no longer gasoline) rating as to how it responds to compression iignition (knock).

Last edited:
For some of my small engines that are used very infrequently, I have used what I will call synthetic fuel because I don’t know what it really is. One popular brand is Tru Fuel, sold at big box stores. This stuff can sit in the tank for at least a season and by my own mistake, over a year and the engines fire right up after along sleep. In 2 stroke engines I have used Stihl Motomix, good stuff too. Problem is it’s very expensive. Would not be cost effective to use this in a larger vehicle.

A friend of mine parked his Toyota Supra for 13 years with a partial tank of fuel and knowing him, it would have been regular gas. Anyway, he decided he wanted to drive the car so he put in a battery and the car started! We, in the car club were in disbelief. Mind you it didn’t run really well but it still ran. Stories like this remind me that what I do is excessive, but it makes me 😀.

I buy synthetic premix in a 1/2 gallon tin because 1 daughter has 50 feet of sidewalk and a 2 stroke single stage snow thrower. I don't want to be a fuel storage facility so the 2 quart can lasts 2 years in her garage and I know she is using the proper ratio.

:twocents: A lot of the bad rep for ethanol is using it in old equipment that had been run for years on pre-ethanol gas. The vanish from the old gas builds up over the years. Ethanol is a very good solvent. It disolves that old varnish and sends it through the carb. Let it sit and bang a clogged up mess (from the old varish NOT the ethanol). My 1946 farmall H gets nothing but ethanol fuel, The fuel tank has NEVER been drained in my 15 years of ownership and prolly not before that either LOL. Sits for 9 months and mostly starts on the first grunt of the hand crank.
Just had the float bowl off the ZTR mower, the float needle had stuck shut , it gets fed ethanol and old motorcycle tank gas, float bowl was spotless inside.

Last edited:
The chainsaws get premium, no ethanol. Stihl rubber fuel lines fall apart with ethanol.
stihl 044a.jpg

This saw is 30? years old and ALWAYS starts and runs well.

044 , Initial attack fire saw 🤩 of my past life of “young”
Very good saw. There was a full wrap (right side) handle bar available.
“Sawyer” determined where the fire line would go through the terrain and the hand tool crew followed in sequence chopping roots, clearing ground fuels to dirt, and widening the line to trail width.
056 was on board for bigger trees.

An F650 (original series) is a nice cold weather bike , your legs are warmed by the engine / body .. try it 😎
Selling my 98 F650 5 years ago, was one of the worst decisions made.
Enjoy yours!
I feel your pain. But was given no choice........... JIM!

You guys are lucky to be able to buy ethanol free fuel. None around here. I don't think you can buy anything except E5 and E10 anywhere in Scotland.

My approach to winterizing is procrastinate. Always intend to clean all the dead flies etcetera off the bike, maybe wax on the paint, lube chain and so forth, brim full tank, maybe drain the float bowls, put bike on a stand with both wheels off the floor. But although I might actually wash the bike, there's usually a couple mild days and we're out and about again. Or if there isn't any mild weather, then I just go on hoping there will be. Then after that - with hindsight - last ride the bike don't get washed again because by mid-afternoon it's dark & cold.

Plus some of those jobs like draining the floats seem too much of a pain for similar reasons.

Plus I always think I'm gonna keep the bike - last year it was the W800 - in occasional use right through. Which sometimes sorta happens. We're now into the juggling cold/salt/need to go out/desire to go out/short days/other stuff season.

So I spend Winter feeling like a Bad Owner hoping the bikes will forgive me when Spring finally arrives.

Last edited:
:twocents: A lot of the bad rep for ethanol is using it in old equipment that had been run for years on pre-ethanol gas. The vanish from the old gas builds up over the years. Ethanol is a very good solvent. It disolves that old varnish and sends it through the carb. Let it sit and bang a clogged up mess (from the old varish NOT the ethanol). My 1946 farmall H gets nothing but ethanol fuel, The fuel tank has NEVER been drained in my 15 years of ownership and prolly not before that either LOL. Sits for 9 months and mostly starts on the first grunt of the hand crank.
Just had the float bowl off the ZTR mower, the float needle had stuck shut , it gets fed ethanol and old motorcycle tank gas, float bowl was spotless inside.
I beg to differ, not only had that ethanol fuel in my XS-1 turned into a turpentine foul smelling substance, but it had literally turned bright green!

Tried to light it with a torch and it wouldnt even light off...never again. :banghead:

All my classic bikes, Honda generator, weed whackers, etc...get fed only non-ethanol from now on. The more frequently ridden/used stuff, no problem with pump gas cause I know its gonna get rotated in short order. :thumbsup:

044 , Initial attack fire saw 🤩 of my past life of “young”
Very good saw. There was a full wrap (right side) handle bar available.
“Sawyer” determined where the fire line would go through the terrain and the hand tool crew followed in sequence chopping roots, clearing ground fuels to dirt, and widening the line to trail width.
056 was on board for bigger trees.
My friend who owned a small engine shop, cursed the use of fuels containing ethanol IF they were not used a a regular basis. The effects of longer term storage with ethanol was the basis for 75% of his business, so at the same time he was cursing it, he was thankful for that fuel type. When a machine came in for a no start condition, first thing he’d do is pull the gas cap and do the sniff test. Then he’d empty the tank, fill it with fresh fuel, add a new plug and many times the machines would fire right up. More serious cases ended up with a carb rebuild. On old Tecumseh engines the carb rebuild was passing a number drill through the jet at the bottom of the fuel bowl and that was it.

The place I bought my Stihl equipment from told me up front they wouldn’t honor their warranty if I ran ethanol in it.
Interesting, same friend mentioned above was a Stihl dealer. He discouraged the use of the fuel but I don’t recall him denying warranty. That said, if the machine wouldn’t start and he suspected bad fuel, he’d most likely tell the customer it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

Interesting, same friend mentioned above was a Stihl dealer. He discouraged the use of the fuel but I don’t recall him denying warranty. That said, if the machine wouldn’t start and he suspected bad fuel, he’d most likely tell the customer it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
E0 is everywhere around here. The aforementioned dealer in Georgia sold it, if I care not go elsewhere. There’s no good excuse for running ethanol.

E0 is everywhere around here. The aforementioned dealer in Georgia sold it, if I care not go elsewhere. There’s no good excuse for running ethanol.
That's not the case here unfortunately. There's exactly one station close enough to me to fill up.
When I'm out and about, I have to suck it up end use E10.
I tried a phone app that tracks E0.... it's severely lacking.

That's not the case here unfortunately. There's exactly one station close enough to me to fill up.
When I'm out and about, I have to suck it up end use E10.
I tried a phone app that tracks E0.... it's severely lacking.
I pass 3 E0 vendors on my way to the gym.

Funny EO story here recently. APBA had Hydroplane and Off Shore races this past summer. The Hydros are maybe 24 feet, have a Merc 250 outboard, go may 90mph on a short triangular course in the harbor The Offshore classes are generally tunnel hulls, much longer and wider boats with up to twin 450 hp outboards and 130-150 mph out on a lake Michigan course. The fuel supplier brought an 8000 gallon tanker for fuel. Problem is they only loaded it with 2700 gallons of race fuel. After the heat races Saturday, the fuel was gone and these big offshore boats got loaded on trailers which cant the 16 foot wide boats to make a legal width for the road. These rigs were seen all over town fueling up with the 91 octane which in many stations here is EO.
Powerboat_P1_480x480.jpg

Spring wakeup time. This is the 5th (I think :umm: ) wakeup on this battery... and bike since the resto. Carbs have never been drained in all that time. Battery was a full 12.7v when I parked it... now at 11.6v. Will she wakeup? :wink2:

Last edited:
Back