GS650 Part Numbers

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have piston, rings, etc part numbers for the GS650 XS2 1972? Are they the same as a TX650?

Bill

I think you would be extremely lucky to find any part #s for it. Only 200 made. First things first. Get the bike and see what you have. If it needs pistons I sure something made today can be used.
Oh and gongrats!!!

From the '73 racing supplement..... RAC-00000-19-00
Don't know if that part # can still be chased to ground, but it's a starting point. :shrug:

Untitled.png

Attachments

• racing-tips-section-11-xs650-750.pdf
    415.9 KB · Views: 137
Be interesting to see what Yamaha used in it. They were not built and sold to racers. They were sold to the public to satisfy AMA's rules.
When he gets it apart the rods may tell the story.
upload_2021-6-23_14-9-53.png

Bowling do you have confirmation the motor matches the frame?
Just BSing but was thinking how likely it was some of these bikes were bought for the engine, to be removed and placed in a purpose built flat track frame, leaving a complete rolling chassis hanging 'round the back of the shop.
Yeah it'll be fun watching as you find out what you really got.

I bet they did not use racing pistons in a street bike. What about a TX750 pistons?
I bet they did. It was a run of 200 bikes. Drawing from existing racing stock makes more sense than casting/forging a one-off run for 200 motors.
As for using TX750 pistons, that's very possible. Both engines had the same 74mm stroke on the cranks, so yeah, that's entirely possible too.

Back