GS650. Received

I am going to tear the engine back down and install a 743cc kit. I have the cylinder (thanks to Jim) without sleeves. Now all I need is the high dollar stuff. Sleeves, pistons kits, and gaskets.

Does anyone know if the Piston Kits from XS650Direct.com will work on the XS2- 256 engine?
upload_2021-8-12_12-14-49.png

I am going to tear the engine back down and install a 743cc kit. I have the cylinder (thanks to Jim) without sleeves. Now all I need is the high dollar stuff. Sleeves, pistons kits, and gaskets.

Does anyone know if the Piston Kits from XS650Direct.com will work on the XS2- 256 engine?
View attachment 196423
I do not think so. That kit is only shows up if you put in 74 or newer.

I think the only way you can get pistons and be %100 sure is to call Gary Hoos.
Otherwise you will need to do what I did and change the crank.

Just the crank. I also replaced the trans because the engine the crank came out of only had 10,000 miles. My engine 35,000 or so miles.

View attachment 196423
1974 and up.

Just the crank. I also replaced the trans because the engine the crank came out of only had 10,000 miles. My engine 35,000 or so miles.
So if I changed the crank I could use the BBK for a 447 engine? Will the heads work?
Will any crank 74-up work?

Yes if you change the crank you could use a BBK. I myself would not go that route on your bike. I would want to keep the original block.
Replace the crank and buy BBK sleeves/pistons. It would be a little more expensive but it would keep the original look of the engine. You should spend the time to search and read a couple of the BBK threads. There are other parts you would have to buy.

...and buy BBK sleeves/pistons. It would be a little more expensive but it would keep the original look of the engine.
Yes.
Bill, the dimensions for the jugs are in this thread. If the BBK sleeves match the originals dimensions.... I'd do it like Greg suggests.

Yes.
Bill, the dimensions for the jugs are in this thread. If the BBK sleeves match the originals dimensions.... I'd do it like Greg suggests.
The BBK sleeves have a bigger OD than stock sleeves. The block would need bored for them. Doable. I would bet Yamaha had to do the same when they built the GS bikes. Even now custom sleeves are surprisingly low cost. My machinist had a boo-boo when boring my X75. He had to have a custom sleeve made in order to use my NOS Hepolite pistons. It cost him around $130 to have the sleeve made.

If you put a 447 crank in it , don’t you have to use a cam from a 447 also? I thought that the gearing for the timing chain is specific for the 447 motor.

I know the cam chains are different. I just rem that.

More than just the chains, the number of teeth on the cam and the crank are different on the 256 and 447 motors.
As I understand it…..447 cranks have to be matched to a 447 cam, and a 256 crank has to have a 256 cam.
There is a way to change out the gear on a 256 cam so that it will work with a 447 motor, but Ive never done it and don’t know how to.

Back