GS650. Received

Getting there. Left side blinkers and horn not working.
E8CF4636-B697-4FBA-85D3-1E614E56431A.jpeg

Regarding those tank badges: If you measure things up well you could take two strips of 2mm steel sheet, drill and tap the holes then solder them in place. Because the metal is already coated in lead/solder it will be easy to solder something on.

Fixed the blinkers and had to replace the horn. Put the tank on and started her up. Gas was leaking all over the place. The carb connecting hose connector was cracked. This was different than the other 72 I worked one. The last 72 I worked on just had a short hose connecting the two carbs. The choke hose was the same. The connector that goes into the carb was also loose. I epoxy the connector into the carb.
image.jpg

What is the easiest way to get the adapter off the tach cable? There are only threads to hold on to. The picture show the old cable which needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• Tach Cable.jpg
    Tach Cable.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 81
a 6mm bolt (#6) with a reduced end should be inserted in the side cover, the end of the bolt fits into a hole in adapter #1 and keeps it from turning. If insert #4 has unthreaded from #1 it gets a bit trickier, the good news is that it makes it easier to replace seal #3
upload_2021-8-8_14-14-31.png

Last edited:
Dremel a slot or three in the threaded collar, twist a screwdriver in the slots see if you can crack it loose?

Last edited:
Both cylinders are firing now (bad plug). Now the idle does not go down sometimes. One of the new throttle cables from yamahaxs650 came apart at the crimp. I am hoping that is my problem. Also have a oil leak on the left side, sometimes. It looks like one of the starter seals. I never replaced them. At least the other seals look good under the left side cover.
Hard to sync the carbs with the cable problem. Seems to run strong. Need to fix/replace the cable first.

Back