Interesting Posts Today

Amazing three dimensional video examining the Ultra deep field Hubble Photo.
There was a download of that, where you could do a Star Trek zoom into the Deep Field on your PC. Obviously there was a limit, but it was entertaining to see distant dots become galaxies and more distant dots appear, to become galaxies in their turn.

Let there be light....
Two days ago the JWST's near infrared camera detected photons (starlight) that had worked their way through the telescope's maze of mirrors. That's a huge milestone, as it confirms the damn thing will actually work. Now comes 3 months of aligning the mirrors. Link.

1644096693933.png

I enjoyed the analogy NASA gave for how accurate the alignment needs to be - if the JWT was as large as the contiguous USA, each of the mirrors would be as large as Texas and they would need to align those eighteen mirrors within 1½" to achieve the focus they require.

1644150343355.png

Cobol Fortran......

The shockwave felt 'round the world....

"The Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai eruption reached an explosive crescendo on Jan. 15, 2022. Its rapid release of energy powered an ocean tsunami that caused damage as far away as the U.S. West Coast, but it also generated pressure waves in the atmosphere that quickly spread around the world."

The blast was about 500 times as powerful as the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Infrared satellite cameras captured the wave as it traveled around the world at over 650mph. Link.

file-20220120-23-20ckxb (1).gif

These were posted on the great VHT site today. I check 3 sites each morning. My email, XS650.com and the VFT. Always something interesting.:thumbsup:

Why does that chick in the blue blazer not have a "Man Bun"?:yikes:
View attachment 184195
I don`t know what this is but I really really like it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 184196
I wonder what kind of skin cream beta boi on the scooter uses? My 120 lb grand daughter would kick his prissy ass.

More progress on the JWST...

Engineers have completed the first stage in this process, called “Segment Image Identification.” The resulting image shows that the team has moved each of Webb’s 18 primary mirror segments to bring 18 unfocused copies of a single star into a planned hexagonal formation.
Link.

1645760437884.png

Today the JWST focused the 18 mirror segments into a single point of light...

1645838442221.png

Next up:

The team is now starting the fourth phase of mirror alignment, known as Coarse Phasing, where NIRCam is used to capture light spectra from 20 separate pairings of mirror segments. This helps the team identify and correct vertical displacement between the mirror segments, or small differences in their heights. This will make the single dot of starlight progressively sharper and more focused in the coming weeks.
Link.

Today on VFT.:thumbsup: IMHO the British automotive industry reached the 'High Mark" with this one. Lucas electrical, Girling brakes, Phillips radio, Smith gauges, Bendix carbs etc so what could possibly go wrong?:shrug: I had several and loved working on them all. (I had to):laugh:
03Mar15-JagE-type.jpg

IMHO, the hardtop was the sexiest car ever made. At the risk of heresy, a resto-mod with a Corvette motor, transmission, and various other American parts, and it would have the looks, the brains, and the muscle. :twocents:

I had a 66 XKE coupe with a SBC 350 and a Muncie 4spd. The PO did the install and did not do a professional job at all. A very tight fit with stock exhaust manifolds. He did not use the Jag to Chevy change over kit. The 4.2 twin cam Jags were more fun to drive. The sad part is I`m sure there`s some ass clown out there right now doing a EV conversion to replace the sacred 4.2.:guns:

Back