1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Sep 26, 2017.

1. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Jim,
    my sidecar rig don't need greaseable centerstand pivot pins but for those courting hernias
    when heaving an XS650 onto it's centerstand that's an elegant, well-documented little upgrade.
    For those who don't have the equipment to DIY the modification, MikesXS sells greaseable
    pivot pins. They are not cheap at all but are way less expensive than a hernia repair operation.

Mikey, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  2. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    Will have to buy some silver vinyl and cut some out. Will look into it...

Mikey, MaxPete, Mailman and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nice to see your bike up and running Jim, thanks for sharing the video, how's the knee holding up?

Mikey, Mailman, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Thanks Mick. I've been letting my foot dangle off the front of the foot peg, so it's not too bad. Long term though I'll definitely need the forward pegs.

Meddy, TwoManyXS1Bs and Mailman like this.
  5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Tank Badges.
    Picked the two best of the litter, sanded down and painted black. Applied the decals I got from @2XSive Larry. Made a couple stands and affixed with double sided tape. Mixed up some West System epoxy and poured it on the badges until it covered them and started running down the sides. Used a toothpick to keep the screw holes clear until it started to cure. Once fully cured, I sanded the high spots off the backside and screwed 'em on.....

cc.jpg

bb.jpg

aa.jpg

Mikey, delagem, Tim Meaders and 13 others like this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! You cleared them with epoxy?! Haha, they won’t be going anywhere! They look fantastic! Very innovative. :thumbsup:

TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and Jim like this.
  7. Jim

Yeah... should be pretty durable. :rolleyes:
    Thanks Bob!

Mikey, gggGary, TwoManyXS1Bs and 2 others like this.
  8. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

I am not a fan of badges, decals or stenciling, but that was a great save on those badges. They look real nice on that tank.

:thumbsup: Scott

Mikey, gggGary, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  9. Jim

Thanks Scott. Yeah... me either. But I did start out as a restoration. Gotta see it through.

Mikey, gggGary, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  10. geedubya

geedubya geedubya Top Contributor

We don't need no steekin bedges

Mikey, joebgd, MaxPete and 5 others like this.
  11. Jim

Centerstand.... Done.
    While playing around with it to see if there's anything else to be done to make things easier, I realized the feet throw the geometry off when you push it down. The front part of the feet hit the ground long before the downtube is almost vertical.....

7.jpg

That's approximately the angle it sits at when it makes contact. I suspect that an additional 5° could be had if the front of the foot wasn't there.... so I cut it off. :D

8.jpg

Looks to be about 30% less foot area now. If that proves to be a problem, I'll weld some plate to the backside to restore the area. Since I have no plans to deploy the stand in the dirt though... it shouldn't be a problem.
    Made a bump bracket to attach to the muffler bracket (I drilled a hole for it when I made the muffler bracket). Found some glue on rubber buttons in a scrounge box... installed it.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Also made and welded on a tang brace. And the centerstand is officially done!!!

11.jpg

I've had 250's that were harder to get on the stand than the SG is now. EXTREMELY happy with how easy it is. :D

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Mikey, Machine, joebgd and 12 others like this.
  12. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Man, I really like that mod Jim. Like I was saying before my XS2 is just ridiculously hard to pull up on the center stand. I always run the rear wheel up on a block of wood when I’m home. That might just be my favorite mod you’ve done, and it’s one nobody will ever even know you’ve done it! It almost reminds me of the ride off stand I used to have on my BMW. ;)

Mikey, MaxPete, Meddy and 3 others like this.
  13. Jim

Thanks Bob. :D

gggGary likes this.
  14. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

those emblems are major bling, nice work on the stand too.

Mikey, GLJ and Jim like this.
  15. Jim

Thanks bud!:D

16. Jim

Damn Procrastinators...
    Went to the DMV this morning to see if all my paperwork was squared away for registration. It was standing room only. The state of Mo. sends you a renewal notice 2mo. in advance. And yet here are all these people waiting till the last week of the month to get their renewal done.... :doh:
    Took my ticket and had 25 ahead of me. 30min. later I looked and I was # 21. Yeah... this math ain't lookin' good is it.... I left. Looks like registration will have to wait 'till next week.

17. Jim

Drill Sgt. glares down at young recruit and sez.... "I know your type Smith.... you can't wait for me to die so you can piss on my grave." Young recruit replies....
    "No Drill Sgt. When I get out of the Army... I ain't never standin' in line again."

Went to DMV this morning... pulled ticket... 18 ahead of me. Dropped ticket in trash... walked out. Sigh...

Mikey, TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  18. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Legal registration, it's overrated.

Mikey, WBacon, Tim Meaders and 4 others like this.
  19. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

WA State vehicles liscensing dept.
    has been a pleasant surprise for customer service.
    Yes, the taxes on vehicles are there but the Oregon DMV was very slow as you seem to experience there in Kansas City MO
    Good luck Jim

Mikey, Mailman, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jim

I think I read last fall that the state shut down some DMV's as a cost cutting measure. This might be as good as it gets and I might just have to suck it up and wait in line for hours.... :(

Mikey, GLJ, Mailman and 1 other person like this.