Luthor's Build

Do you guys happen to know where to get that ball bearing? I reassembled my carbs and my choke rod acts like it's just on a spring and won't catch. I believe I lost the ball bearing.... rookie mistake

Might have to try that one. I've learned to keep an organized work bench for that same reason.

Do you guys happen to know where to get that ball bearing? I reassembled my carbs and my choke rod acts like it's just on a spring and won't catch. I believe I lost the ball bearing.... rookie mistake

Managed to started cleaning some carb parts yesterday. Still got a few left but I wanted to show some progress pics. Obviously, I'm not a fan of polished aluminum, at least on this build:
fsct.jpg

4tbt.jpg

Does anyone know if this might be compatible with my carbs? This brass accent would really look good with my build theme:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS-650-Bras...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c9e48b6a&vxp=mtr
6ct4.jpg

The "T" fuel line will be replaced:
km0v.jpg

With this one:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-0884.html
f5me.jpg

Should I just go ahead and buy 2 new float boats while I'm at it?
And as you can see, the plastic part on BOTH is broken... Having a bit of difficulty finding new ones...
t6du.jpg

After having submerged the kickstarter for nearly 48 hours in Metal Rescue, it turned out great after bead blasting it. I'll be powder coating it flat black as well.
7wei.jpg

I believe that's the 13mm shaft so I'll be getting one of these since I really haven't seen any kickstarter mods that I like.
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/02-2469.html

Are your diaphrams shot?
I had a very tiny pin hole so I just gave them a coat of plastidip to seal up and they seem to be holding.

It ain't Christmas yet! LOL Wasn't really expensive. The quality is pretty damn good to be honest, and the guy already had the "clock" for mine. I think it gives it a nice touch, especially with the SS. Jets are so cheap so I can buy a few, I'd say, 2 more up in case. I found this like to brass velocity stacks while doing some research last night. I might go with those, but the ones Dime City Cycles sells are tempting as well, and let me tell you, when I did my XV750J build they were always there for customer support/feedback/input. I dropped a good chunk of $ with them and they were even kind enough to send me a LS shirt for my bday. THAT good. I still got no $ for the ignition system. What did you go with?

Thats cool man! Wish we had XS custom shops in the UK like that.........

I haven't got an ignition system yet, same problem as you, NO money!!!:banghead::(:shrug:

Got a LOT of overtime this month though(42 hrs SO FAR!!) soI might have some cash for it month end! IF SWMBO allows me to!!:bike:

I was thinking the Boyer as it is UK based, so probably easier and less customs charges if things go tits up with it, but I'm still not sure. I do want to go all electronic,no points and possibly no battery either. I'll see when I got some green in my hand!

What were you thinking of getting?

The PO had the diaphragm covers painted with Dupicolor so I went ahead and soaked them in paint stripper before going to work and the paint came off like nothing. I'll be blasting them tomorrow, but they'll be powder coated flat blat. I'm not sure if that brass brace will fit my carbs though. :shrug:

Nice work with the carbs so far! I don't have any helpful input for those diaphragms though :shrug:

They're not shot, but I figured might as well since I'm at it.

Are your diaphrams shot?
I had a very tiny pin hole so I just gave them a coat of plastidip to seal up and they seem to be holding.

Yeah, I'm putting a lot of hours at work as well. I honestly haven't even done a search as to what electrical setup route I could take. Virginia, US Law doesn't need signals (if they're ON the bike, they must work). Headlight, horn, stop light. Don't think I need a battery either.

Thats cool man! Wish we had XS custom shops in the UK like that.........

I haven't got an ignition system yet, same problem as you, NO money!!!:banghead::(:shrug:

Got a LOT of overtime this month though(42 hrs SO FAR!!) soI might have some cash for it month end! IF SWMBO allows me to!!:bike:

I was thinking the Boyer as it is UK based, so probably easier and less customs charges if things go tits up with it, but I'm still not sure. I do want to go all electronic,no points and possibly no battery either. I'll see when I got some green in my hand!

What were you thinking of getting?

This company has a lot of positive feedback for diaphragms and carb boots http://jbmindustries.com

BTW, I find your level of organization, your attention to detail, and the overall work you are doing on your prdject is extremely instructive, thanks for sharing.

really cool detailed quality work you got there!
I appreciate seeing quality build threads like this,

Also cool name you got,

havent met a person with the same name as me before.

Bookmarked! Thanks man. Appreciate it! I'm no guru, I just spend a lot of time reading different articles on the site.

This company has a lot of positive feedback for diaphragms and carb boots http://jbmindustries.com

BTW, I find your level of organization, your attention to detail, and the overall work you are doing on your prdject is extremely instructive, thanks for sharing.

Oh man... Another Lex here? HAHAHA :eek:

really cool detailed quality work you got there!
I appreciate seeing quality build threads like this,

Also cool name you got,

havent met a person with the same name as me before.

Alright, I seriously spent too much time on the net last night trying to find this little damn plastic piece and no luck, so I'm gonna post a pic here, with a big yellow circle around it, and see if anyone can help me. WTF is the part number for this plastic piece (NOT the dust seal for the plunger)
2t5b.jpg

I checked Norman, but I did a parts search on Google just to make sure, but I can't get a clear imagine. :-/ Guess I'll keep trying. I contacted the PO to see if he knows the part number by any chance.

The paint stripper removed the paint pretty quick from the diaphragm covers. I gave it another blast to remove whatever was left and now they're ready for powder coating.
vivm.JPG

Also gave the butterflies a quick blast.
58tg.jpg

And after removing everything from the carb housing, I gave them both a good blasting since they had a bunch of shit on it, including what seemed to me like a spray can paint too. Anyway, they'll be going through a carb parts cleaner bath.
sowi.jpg

Hey man, I don't know why I didn't offer this a few posts back; it occurred to me just now that I have an extra set of carbuerators. Just one of the housings is bad from the pilot jet mixture screw being stripped. But maybe there's other parts you could use from them? Let me know if interested and I can send some pics over.:bike:

Back