Also... while I'm no expert on Pamco's, since it's cam triggered... I suspect you need independent coils for it too. The only dual output coil system that comes to mind for the XS is the 80 and newer TCI systems.... Which you could upgrade to if you could find the parts cheap enough.
Edit: disregard... I guess the Pamco uses a waste spark system also...

Also... while I'm no expert on Pamco's, since it's cam triggered... I suspect you need independent coils for it too. The only dual output coil system that comes to mind for the XS is the 80 and newer TCI systems.... Which you could upgrade to if you could find the parts cheap enough. ;)

That photo I put up of that dual output coil is what came with the Pamco unit I’m running on my ‘77.

Maybe Daniel has some old coils in his stash? The coil was the same for all points models. That means you could test your '72 coils by trying them on your '77.

Maybe Daniel has some old coils in his stash? The coil was the same for all points models. That means you could test your '72 coils by trying them on your '77.

The ‘77 is now running a complete Pamco ign. But that’s a good thought about Daniel! I forgot he has a stash!

Edit: Duh! I still have the original coils off of my ‘77 in a container full of old parts! :doh:
Good grief!

That photo I put up of that dual output coil is what came with the Pamco unit I’m running on my ‘77.
Just noticed that. Use one of the coils you took off your 77.

Hahaha! :laughing:
Now you can look at my edit above!
Laughing Minions.gif

I use R.S. Hughes.com for roloc grinding discs...nice assortment and great customer service.
Pete, I don't know if they ship to Canada though.

- - - Here’s my dilemma. I had hoped to get the bike running with the bone stock ignition. I thought I’d live with it for a while to see if I wanted to keep it stock. To buy a pair of coils , I’m looking at nearly $60. I could get into a complete electronic ignition for $200. I gotta think about this.

Hi mailman,
it don't cost nothin' to hook up that suspect coil to a sparkplug and see if there's a big fat blue spark across the plug, eh?

I won’t go through all the numbers , but I dug out my set of factory coils from my ‘77 and checked them with the ohm meter and had good readings all around. I will use them in my XS2. I forgot what a great little stash of parts I had left from my first bike. The best advice I ever got ( Thank you 5 Twins ) was don’t throw anything away! It’s great when you don’t have to buy more parts!
095E28D9-B35C-4717-8F5A-DAB85E6FEB51.jpeg
729A861D-9F6D-47B5-9F9F-6BB243660A3E.jpeg
C6E0511F-6976-4EAE-9D61-9C1730491B0C.jpeg

If you're looking for something to keep you busy, then keep the points on the '72. You can fuss with them every weekend, lol. Well, it's not quite that bad, but they will require checking and possibly re-setting every few thousand miles. It is very satisfying to get them set perfectly but it can be a real chore sometimes. The dwell meter will greatly assist you in getting the gaps just right and matched set to set. But the big and underlying issue with points is that as soon as you start running them, they begin to wear. The faces wear away some (or pit) and the rubbing blocks wear away. This changes the points gap and that changes the timing. But, with the dwell meter it's easy to do a quick points gap check. If the gap has closed up some, many times just setting it back to spec will put the timing back where it belongs.

If you're looking for something to keep you busy, then keep the points on the '72. You can fuss with them every weekend, lol. Well, it's not quite that bad, but they will require checking and possibly re-setting every few thousand miles. It is very satisfying to get them set perfectly but it can be a real chore sometimes. The dwell meter will greatly assist you in getting the gaps just right and matched set to set. But the big and underlying issue with points is that as soon as you start running them, they begin to wear. The faces wear away some (or pit) and the rubbing blocks wear away. This changes the points gap and that changes the timing. But, with the dwell meter it's easy to do a quick points gap check. If the gap has closed up some, many times just setting it back to spec will put the timing back where it belongs.

Yeah, I bought a dwell meter just for the job. I’m honestly not a fan of points. But I really want to try and get good at setting them. Who knows it might be some perverse kind of fun after a while. If not, I’m fully prepared to replace them with a Pamco unit! Haha! :D

My PAMCO setup on Lucille uses a dual output coil just like that. After all, the stock XS650 is a 360 deg. twin and so a wasted spark system would work fine.

Pete

PS - Skull: you look good in your jogging outfit! I hadn’t realized you were so cute.

Last edited:
The best advice I ever got ( Thank you 5 Twins ) was don’t throw anything away! It’s great when you don’t have to buy more parts!

More than a few people have benefited my doing just that when I took possession of that sad looking 1972 over there to the left! Still have few parts like crank cases, frame and assorted other parts, most of the good stuff is gone, just wish I had thought to make a list of who got what. That would make an interesting thread here!

More than a few people have benefited my doing just that when I took possession of that sad looking 1972 over there to the left! Still have few parts like crank cases, frame and assorted other parts, most of the good stuff is gone, just wish I had thought to make a list of who got what. That would make an interesting thread here!

I know I sure benefitted from your generosity and your old XS2. Your old bike lives on in my handlebar switchgear and my starter. :)

Back