Maxx650 Build Thread

My buddy (he rides the airhead you see in the video) who helped me prep and paint the engine recorded a time-lapse with his go pro. It's in Vimeo so I can't embed it here unfortunately but you can see it here:

http://vimeo.com/60617255

The battery dies towards the end while we're wiping off the paint on the fins but you get the idea.

Welding at my buddy's place on saturday, also talked to Robert from Omar's today and he said my fiber glass seat would ship today. If the planets align, maybe it'll arrive before I weld the seat pan so I don't have to drag the frame back to my friends house so I can make a support bracket to weld to the back loop.

glennpm you are awesome!! This is more than I expected, thanks again so much. I can probably get this bracket welded on before the seat arrives to I don't need a second trip.

Welding! It's done... for now. Went over to my friends house today and he help me weld up my seat pan. Turned out really nice I think, feels really solid. I added some brackets for the seat but decided to not add the crossbar yet. I left some extra length on the bracket so I can shave it down correctly and at the necessary angle when my seat gets here - when it does, I'll just bring it back to my friend to weld it up.

I think I've decided to save a bit of money and try and rattle my frame with some chassis enamel - I'm pretty impressed with how my engine turned out. If I get the time tomorrow I'll hit it with some air craft stripper and wire brushes and naval jelly. Would love to paint it this week to do some work next weekend in Dallas.

fsEiTmU.jpg

7sVVcG2.jpg

UGRuY58.jpg

GyzS2Tf.jpg

Dropped my frame and swing arm off at the powder coasters today (finally made a decision to powder it). Getting it done in ebony chrome (sounds sexy) and hopefully can pick it up Friday!

Powdered! I think it turned out fantastic, definitely worth the money.

This weekend I plan on putting bits back together.

KbrSbXy.jpg

MiWoGIR.jpg

Thanks! I took a bit of a gamble on it but it looks great, I think will be a nice contrast between my black tank, seat and engine

Big work this weekend. Spent the day putting the engine back in the frame, swingarm / fork and wheels on, rearsets put on halfway. Tomorrow will involve doing as much wiring as I can. SXSW is next weekend and my birthday the weekend after that so I won't be back to Dallas to work on it until last weekend of March.

In that down time I need to take a few small bits I forgot to be powdered and order some gaskets and other small bits from Mikes. Should give an update in a couple weeks - Omar's seat should arrive by then as well.

Tv1VsaZ.jpg

7mc0tLO.jpg

hHMZAf0.jpg

Got most of the wiring sorted out today.. My dad is going to clean up, hide the wires and run some meter tests until I can come back to finish the rest. I need to think about solutions for LED turn signals and brake/tail light.

i5OPhob.jpg

In the back, I'd love to do some kind of dual brake light / combination turn signals with maybe something similar to this: http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/dual catey roundy.htm (two round red brake / tail lights).

Dual%20Catey%20Roundy-2.jpg

I would also like the ability to use the same double brake/tail lights as turn signals - does anyone have insight on how to achieve this? I've researched a bit and seems like I'll need something to plug in to achieve this. Anyone done something like this before with their XS?

Omar's seat arrived today.. anyone paint one of these before? His advice was to let it cure for 90 days if doing a rattlecan!! Should it be shorter if I take it to a painter and have them bake their job?

5UrKp0Z.jpg

Hey friends, I'm looking at Mikes front drilled disc brake rotor.. Is there no equivalent for the rear disc brake? If not can anyone recommend a resurfacing/drilling service?

Looks great, IMHO cafes need either the xs750 or a tank from the 70-72 650, that is just a style preference though. Love the bike so far.

I definitely agree, those tanks look great and I would be grabbing one if I hadn't had this tank painted about a year ago.. Although I might be interested in a trade if anyone wants :D

I also went with Omar's seat because I think the curves and lines of it fit really well with these tanks. Thanks for the input guys!

Back