Neutral detent bullet-shaped plunger will not come out

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I am putting out a general cry for help - I am trying to get to the cause of my struggles to find neutral (my star is out of alignment so I want to eliminate wear on the star-wheel indexer). I have clutch removed, the shifter-shaft assembly is out of the way, and the springed mechanism holding the star-wheel in place has been released. The only thing stopping the star-wheel indexer from coming out completely is the NEUTRAL DETENT BULLET-SHAPED PLUNGER.

I have tried for the past couple of hours. I even released the same things on my donor engine and turned it upside down, but the bullet-shaped plunger will not come out - it moves a little up and down but nothing to get hold of, or any gap to get anything behind.

HELP! has anyone got any suggestions? I've had some great help from TwoMany, and I am sure someone out there must know what to do.

Anlaf

My worry is over - now I do not need to remove the neutral detent for my repairs, this time round a least. With my change of plan I can put in the new clutch and get the bike back together.

Anlaf

Back