New headpipes bluing

Okay Doctors, Guru's and Grease Monkeys.......I pulled the plug on the left cylinder. What are your opinions?
E48662EC-DB87-4C40-A4F2-D4B8F7032A04.jpeg

Well, if the chrome is actually flaking off that one pipe then maybe it is defective. I've never had that happen, just had them turn colors. But, these headpipes are pretty good, quite thick, and usually don't turn colors as easily and readily as some others. The set I put on my '83 have been in use for a few years and several thousand miles. I've had like 3 different carb sets on there in that time, played with jetting, and the pipes are barely colored at all, just starting to show a light gold if you look close .....

NewWheelMounted3.jpg

Did you use new seal rings at the head and are the pipes sealing good? The MAC pipes I put on my other 650 years ago didn't seal well and turned blue almost immediately because of that. I did mange to get them to seal up eventually so the bluing didn't progress any further, and the chrome never peeled, but they are pretty blue compared to my new ones on the '83 .....

BluePipes.jpg

Well, if the chrome is actually flaking off that one pipe then maybe it is defective. I've never had that happen, just had them turn colors. But, these headpipes are pretty good, quite thick, and usually don't turn colors as easily and readily as some others. The set I put on my '83 have been in use for a few years and several thousand miles. I've had like 3 different carb sets on there in that time, played with jetting, and the pipes are barely colored at all, just starting to show a light gold if you look close .....

View attachment 254516

Did you use new seal rings at the head and are the pipes sealing good? The MAC pipes I put on my other 650 years ago didn't seal well and turned blue almost immediately because of that. I did mange to get them to seal up eventually so the bluing didn't progress any further, and the chrome never peeled, but they are pretty blue compared to my new ones on the '83 .....

View attachment 254525
I inspected the seals and they looked good, so I used them again. I couldnt find any leaks....I can understand one pipe getting some bad steel, but, two in the same shipment? I'm going after the carbs.....they
need to looked at anyway.

Well, if you didn't check the jetting in them when you changed the pipes, there's a good chance it needs changing. Here's a chart I made up showing the stock jetting. As I mentioned, you'd want a few sizes above that on the mains and pilots, probably need to lean the needles a step as well .....

Carb Specs.jpg

Dang… put on new pipes, didn’t properly jet it, then contact the seller about a defective part??…

Seems like a self inflicted wound, a crap sandwich they shouldn’t have to eat.

Honestly, I think that plug looks pretty good, not excessively rich or lean. Combined with the flaking chrome, it very well could be a defective part.

The right one is gold, Jim........
Single wall pipes are gonna discolor, that's just the nature of 'em. Straw (or gold if you will) is pretty much normal. Even a slight amount of blue isn't out of the ordinary. My Mikes pipes have about 5-6k on 'em now and both are straw with a slight tinge of blue at the top.

I got a set of 2 into 1 pipes from XS650.com and one pipe blistered and pealed within 3 min run time. The other pipe was fine. The pipe wasn`t prepped or cleaned properly before plating.
DSCN0343.JPG

Single wall pipes are gonna discolor, that's just the nature of 'em. Straw (or gold if you will) is pretty much normal. Even a slight amount of blue isn't out of the ordinary. My Mikes pipes have about 5-6k on 'em now and both are straw with a slight tinge of blue at the top.
How does the other spark plug compare?

I hope you get it sorted soon.
Right plug pretty much the same as the left........maybe slightly more carboned........

Gold could be “normal” but that left blue is so very blue ! Looks suspiciously defective but before running the new pipe consider checking fitment at the head for a good flat fit (no tipping) at the point of tightening it.
And even compare the timing of both cylinders with a timing light?
And, when running an air cooled engine in your garage, consider using a fan directed at the front of the engine

It surprises me that they are sending another set of header pipes considering the possibilities of incorrect tune. With single wall pipes they are gonna turn some sort of color.

Gold could be “normal” but that left blue is so very blue ! Looks suspiciously defective but before running the new pipe consider checking fitment at the head for a good flat fit (no tipping) at the point of tightening it.
And even compare the timing of both cylinders with a timing light?
And, when running an air cooled engine in your garage, consider using a fan directed at the front of the engine
these are excellent tips.......I do use the fan technique, even outside.......thanks

It surprises me that they are sending another set of header pipes considering the possibilities of incorrect tune. With single wall pipes they are gonna turn some sort of color.
I did not demand anything from them......I sent them the pictures, and asked them if this was normal....they came back with some great customer service, I thought. The plugs do not indicate excessive or abnormal tuning faults......I dont have any information on the history of this product or the supplier. I was merely asking some questions. It seems like I stirred up a hornets nest on the forum, and that was not my intention.

Not saying the bike does have carb issues just saying i'm surprised they replaced the pipes. That's very unusual in today's world. I agree, pretty good service.

Last spring I started up a CB750C with new, complete 4 into one, $400 stainless exhaust. I knew I should have gone through the carbs after it sat for two years. Deep DARK bluing near the head in less than ten minutes. Number 2 cylinder looks just like new.:lmao: I'll live with it. Now I'm working on a 4 into 2 DIY slip-on for the other CB750C and rehabing 3 banks (count 'em 12) of carbs.

Always wanted a 70's Honda......kinda hard to find these days. It's gonna be cool! You'll be The Carb Master when that's don
Last spring I started up a CB750C with new, complete 4 into one, $400 stainless exhaust. I knew I should have gone through the carbs after it sat for two years. Deep DARK bluing near the head in less than ten minutes. Number 2 cylinder looks just like new.:lmao: I'll live with it. Now I'm working on a 4 into 2 DIY slip-on for the other CB750C and rehabing 3 banks (count 'em 12) of carbs.
Always wanted a CB750F, maybe someday? You'll be The Carb Master after all of that is done!

Back