New here!

It certainly is on its way! I'll get ahold of ya when I get back to MT! Finally made the trek to the south this week! Just rode Tail of the Dragon today! Such a fun week
Aww man haven’t been to the dragon in 15years!!! Never sent a bike around I was that buster in a ‘82 RS 😂 but it was fun. Have fun be safe , soak up sun sun!

Forgot to mention....while in OH, I stopped by Dan's at Pandemonium to pickup this little nugget! 700cc re-phased, etc. This will be the heart of this winters build. What an awesome guy and amazing shop!
1000001762.jpg

Forgot to mention....while in OH, I stopped by Dan's at Pandemonium to pickup this little nugget! 700cc re-phased, etc. This will be the heart of this winters build. What an awesome guy and amazing shop! View attachment 252559
That is a handsome piece. Let's not get to specifics please, if this isn't to intrusive, and dismiss me if it is, but, is that a $3k, $4k or $5k range motor?

That is a handsome piece. Let's not get to specifics please, if this isn't to intrusive, and dismiss me if it is, but, is that a $3k, $4k or $5k range motor?
5k range......that hurt😬 ...till I toured his shop and saw what goes into these.. seemed very fair after that. Kinda been dreaming about a Pandemonium motor for quite some time so really pumped to finally have one. When lacking motivation during the coming build, I'll just have to glance over at that gem👍

5k range......that hurt😬 ...till I toured his shop and saw what goes into these.. seemed very fair after that. Kinda been dreaming about a Pandemonium motor for quite some time so really pumped to finally have one. When lacking motivation during the coming build, I'll just have to glance over at that gem👍
We do this for the investment. That's what I tell my wife. I promised her I could get a 50% return. :) I asked because I got a basic rebuild quote from an XS650 shop (forget which one) at about $2800. I did not fall off the turnip truck last night. Each process takes a skilled machinist (who has to be paid) time. I have seen first hand "first start hand gernades" built buy people with bigger dreams than smarts. We all really want your first ride impressions, and of course, reports as you get jetting dialed in.

Last edited:
Always see guys posting their Deals Gap pics ....so here's mine. Not an XS....but hopefully one day!

Attachments

• 4200937~2.jpg
    4200937~2.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 4200939~2.jpg
    4200939~2.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 38
We do this for the investment. That's what I tell my wife. I promised her I could get a 50% return. :) I asked because I got a basic rebuild quote from an XS650 shop (forget which one) at about $2800. I did not fall off the turnip truck last night. Each process takes a skilled machinist (who has to be paid) time. I have seen first hand "first start hand gernades" built buy people with bigger dreams than smarts. We all really want your first ride impressions, and of course, reports as you get jetting dialed in.
I have been buying parts for my "one day" tracker build. Had Gary Hoos/Roger Johnson rebuild the crank/weld the crank using Carrillo Rods, $2k, had Roger rebuild and port the head, $1100, 700cc JE pistons, gaskets & seals (2 head gaskets in case I mung one up, Shell #1 cam, Shell cam cover set, Kibblewhite valve spring set, Barnett clutch & spring kit and a few odds and ends $2k plus I still have tohave the cyls. bored and buy the ignition (Vape) so I'll have north of $6k in the engine by the time I'm finished. I am copying, to the best of my ability, the late Dick Russell's (Grizzled1) engine. This is all on Dick's recommendations. I know I'll never get to that 50% return number, but hey, let the grandkids worry about it.

I have been buying parts for my "one day" tracker build. Had Gary Hoos/Roger Johnson rebuild the crank/weld the crank using Carrillo Rods, $2k, had Roger rebuild and port the head, $1100, 700cc JE pistons, gaskets & seals (2 head gaskets in case I mung one up, Shell #1 cam, Shell cam cover set, Kibblewhite valve spring set, Barnett clutch & spring kit and a few odds and ends $2k plus I still have tohave the cyls. bored and buy the ignition (Vape) so I'll have north of $6k in the engine by the time I'm finished. I am copying, to the best of my ability, the late Dick Russell's (Grizzled1) engine. This is all on Dick's recommendations. I know I'll never get to that 50% return number, but hey, let the grandkids worry about it.
I think my son wants my bikes when I go. I hope I do not goober them up too bad before that happens. ( My daughters can have the sailboat and the car). It will be almost even. Everything else is in a trust.
I get the really hipo motor build and the guidance our XS650 forefathers laid down blazing the trail. My 750 Tracker is a riot to ride but my mostly stock Red Bike is goto for my around town errands. BUT, that is just me and in this XS650 community we do have different needs and different riding locales. My riding locales involve 25mph and 35 mph urban riding or 45-55mph farm lanes.

I think my son wants my bikes when I go. I hope I do not goober them up too bad before that happens. ( My daughters can have the sailboat and the car). It will be almost even. Everything else is in a trust.
I get the really hipo motor build and the guidance our XS650 forefathers laid down blazing the trail. My 750 Tracker is a riot to ride but my mostly stock Red Bike is goto for my around town errands. BUT, that is just me and in this XS650 community we do have different needs and different riding locales. My riding locales involve 25mph and 35 mph urban riding or 45-55mph farm lanes.
The stupid thing about it is that I don't really ride all that fast. I got most of the "Go Faster" out of me when I has an H-2 Kawasaki and when I raced dirt track stock cars and later, sports cars, although I do live in a very rural area with a lot of open road, so.... I'm doing it for the same reason a dog licks his....you get the point.

The stupid thing about it is that I don't really ride all that fast. I got most of the "Go Faster" out of me when I has an H-2 Kawasaki and when I raced dirt track stock cars and later, sports cars, although I do live in a very rural area with a lot of open road, so.... I'm doing it for the same reason a dog licks his....you get the point.
I get the point. A fine piece of machinery is a joy to experience...

I get the point. A fine piece of machinery is a joy to experience...
My trade is paint and body. Sometimes I get lucky and do a project that I just like to sit on my stool and look at, much like your "Red Bike". Sometimes the stars align and every thing is like magic. Same with engines. Few people will know, and even less will care what it is. It's for me. The last "Hot Rod" I built was a '50 Ford F-1 with a 9.5-1 forged piston, Comp Cam (roller) roller rockers blah, blah blah. Could have put a Ford Motorsport crate motor in it and it would have been close to the same H.P., certainly good enough for it;s purpose. But I thoroughly enjoyed building that engine and enjoyed the countless hours spent tuning that old Holley 4bbl. The pursuit of perfection is eternal.

My trade is paint and body. Sometimes I get lucky and do a project that I just like to sit on my stool and look at, much like your "Red Bike". Sometimes the stars align and every thing is like magic. Same with engines. Few people will know, and even less will care what it is. It's for me. The last "Hot Rod" I built was a '50 Ford F-1 with a 9.5-1 forged piston, Comp Cam (roller) roller rockers blah, blah blah. Could have put a Ford Motorsport crate motor in it and it would have been close to the same H.P., certainly good enough for it;s purpose. But I thoroughly enjoyed building that engine and enjoyed the countless hours spent tuning that old Holley 4bbl. The pursuit of perfection is eternal.
Thanks for sharing. I did a buick 455 rebuild with my son. We did most of the right stuff for a street 455, 1997 ish. He found a guy to jet the Rochester quadrJET and our rebuild became a rocketship.

Thanks for sharing. I did a buick 455 rebuild with my son. We did most of the right stuff for a street 455, 1997 ish. He found a guy to jet the Rochester quadrJET and our rebuild became a rocketship.
I don’t care what they say, they can keep their Holleys and edelbrocks. Those Rochesters are fantastic in a street rod if you know how to talk to them.

This is why as I always say, "Peter Egan gets it.".

I love reading his writings, because just like you mentioned, he has an eye for when the stars align and the look, the angle is "magic" and then he can put pen to paper so you and I can totally relate.

Man I miss his work, but could always totally relate to his tastes in machinery. 🥰👍

Ya....truth be told...having the engine done was to save time... the wife wants my energy back on our 40' Ford Coupe project. I have a few hundred hours in sheet metal so far and needed to step away for mental reasons🤣 it was rear ended when it came to us, but mostly a complete car. So full rear quarters were needed... eventually it'll sport as 58' Olds 371 J-2 motor that's also waiting in the shop for a build up😉 here's a pic of the progress so far, pretty much only virgin sheetmetal left will be the roof, doors,.and fenders....which is regrettable because nothing welds as nice as that original Henry ford steel. But, I need to get this xs build out of my system first.
20190709_180443.jpg

Last edited:
Back