New XS Brat Build -- Counterbalance Motorcycles

westonboege

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Whats happening guys... This bike was donated by a friend who bought a rusty bike and wasnt going to do anything with it... Motor is seized and bike has sat beside someones shed for years... both wheels and brakes are locked up...

Will be a perfect bike to cut into a sweet brat.

This is how the bike has to get around until i fix the damn wheels brakes... Made the owner push it... haha

New+Yam+01.jpg

Time to rip it apart...

0020+BRAT.jpg

I got bored with just taking crap off the bike and decided to get into the frame mods while the bike was still semi intact to get a good feel of how the bike would sit...

Brat+001.jpg

Cut about 2" or so out of the lower tubes... should drop the seat nicely...

Brat+003.jpg

Here it is with the slugs welded in and the rear end assembled with some HOnda Rebel shocks.... not too bad... Still have to modify the entire seat loop, but the shock mount area is about done...

Brat+005.jpg

Yeah, i cant justify spending 150-200 bucks on a few dom tubes... I can re-use the rear loop and use some of the other frame rails that i cut out to get the look i want i think...

All u need to know is how to slug tubes properly... I want to try and see how clean and cheap i can make this bike... Gonne be buying a few aftermarket nice parts but i picked up an old drum wheel from my friends other xs build. Also picked up a decent 21" spool wheel for the front with a pretty nice avon speedmaster on it...

Should be a fun scoot...

Brat+010.jpg

Was working like a dog the past couple days, and took pics along the way... Probably inhaled about 2 pounds of grinder dust.... Got pretty far lugging the frame tubes and shortening the rear loop. Got the seat back welded on, and connected the seat area to the rest of the front loop. All lugged and welded in. Coming out pretty nicely... aka no hangups yet...

YamaRust+01.jpg

YamaRust+02.jpg

YamaRust+04.jpg

YamaRust+05.jpg

YamaRust+06.jpg

This is how it sits now... I spun some aluminum spacers for the front wheel and got that mounted. I just need the inner drum for the rear wheel... shave the swingarm and weld on new brake stays. Then make the actuator rod...

Im also gonna drop the front forks by cutting and shimming the springs so they arent hiked up in the trees...

More action tonight... i think im wearing my fingerprints off...

Last edited:
Thanks guys... having trouble with my camera and broke my card reader... Made quite a bit of progress this weekend, and will update pics soon...

Got the forks shaved, shaved the rest of the entire frame... mounted the handlebars, tank, and headlight... also got started on a seat pan, and foam...

I dont know why but everything else is on hold because im obsessed with this project right now... heh

Just got back from the Brooklyn Invitational. Inspiring and humbling to say the least... met some new friends and saw some oldies... good time...

Anyways... got a ton of stuff done in the past weeks... Picked up a alien tank from a buddy and a bates headlight. Ordered the 1" clutch and a Whiskey Grip 1" throttle. Everything was ready to go on so i mounted the tank with some bosses from Lowbrow.

Got the fender mounted in the back, and started roughing out a seat. Made the pan and started foaming... gonna figure out what the final shape will be and start thinking about how im gonna cover it...

Also spent about 2 days on the grinder shaving and lowering the fork legs. Still sits too high for me... so i might take another 1/2 out of the forks. Also shaved damn near everything from the frame... and welded a new brake stay for the drum.

This thing is gonna be dangerous.

Im pretty happy with it so far. Just gotta tweak a few things and the motor should be ready to go in for a few shakedown runs before winter where ill tear it apart and paint/finish everything...

gimme some feedbacks

Yami+100.jpg

Yami+102.jpg

Yami+103.jpg

Yami+108.jpg

yami+101.jpg

Yami+106.jpg

Yami+105.jpg

Yami+107.jpg

Yami+109.jpg

Yami+110.jpg

Yami+111.jpg

Yami+112.jpg

Yami+104.jpg

Yami+113.jpg

Keep in mind that the front forks will have some sag when you put the engine in. Maybe hold out on lowering it more until you see the stance with the engine in? Just a thought...

I was hoping the forks would sag slightly with the motor in, but they are pretty stiff. When i lowered i cut the progressive end off the spring so that it wouldnt bottom out easily. Ill see how they sit.. only takes about a half hour to go through the forks.

Tank is from Lowbrow too I believe... picked it up cheap tho! The Jackrabbits do look dangerous... but they feel pretty good when you sit on it...

Just gotta keep shaping the seat and get it to where it doesnt look so big... once its black that should help too...

Nice so far. I would check the the clearance on the rear fender. It might be a problem when you hit bumps in the road and and the shock compresses.

Back