Rebuilding '80 single caliper.

wmurray

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Did a little search first to see if there was a similar topic, but couldn't see one. Sorry if this is a repost.
Working more on making the bike road worthy. It was in dire need of a front brake system overhaul, so I took the MC/lines/caliper off for a rebuild. Lines have been replaced, MC has been dismantled and cleaned, caliper has been disassembled and cleaned.

Once the piston was out, I noticed some knicks around the edges (photos attached). As this is my first time fixing up a brake caliper, was curious if this is reusable.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 201
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 181
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 197
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 204
I would get some fine paper and be sure any protruding edges are sanded back to flush. Then yeah I would probably use it. Looks like someone tried the channel locks removal method, oops.

Fine as in 600 or 1000 grit IMHO

Follow Garys advice. After polish/clean the only nick I see that may be of concern is in pic 4 and is shaped like a ' apostrophe. It is very close to where the seal may ride on a fully seated piston.

I agree too, use it.

Nothing to loose, if it leaks replace it, but looks like the seal will do it's job as the damage is close to the top.

20 years of old brake fluid causes the corrosion, bite marks are from humans with tools.

Just a heads up (you probably have done this) the rubber seal needs to come out of the caliper body and and clean all the gunk out of the groove. I like a bent piece of thick copper wire hammered and filed to make a scraper for that job, less likely to nick the aluminum.

Yea I had disassembled the caliper and mc completely and got all the nasty junk out. Works like a champ now, new pads/lines/fluid/piston in MC.

Back