Rewound Alternator Rotor gouges, trouble shooting charging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you keep your regulator. This is just a rectifier replacement. You can often tell by the number of wires and their colors. A stand alone rectifier usually has 5 wires, 3 white, a black, and a red. A combined reg/rec usually has 7 wires (2 more for the regulator portion).

Yes, you keep your regulator. This is just a rectifier replacement. You can often tell by the number of wires and their colors. A stand alone rectifier usually has 5 wires, 3 white, a black, and a red. A combined reg/rec usually has 7 wires (2 more for the regulator portion).
Got it!
So these XS360 or 400 ones that are sealed with cooling fins, I would assume those are better than the 74 or 75 xs650 non-sealed ones. Do these later model ones have to be grounded to something or can I just find a place and mount it?

If you do have the old original mechanical regulator, it may just need to be adjusted. They often do when they get old .....

Reg Adjust.JPG

They have a ground wire coming out of them, just like your original, and will get grounded through a matching black wire in the harness plug.

When I checked the original mechanical unit on my '78, both gaps were off. It was charging a bit low, about the mid 13's. Just re-setting them to the proper gaps brought the charging output back up (to just over 14 revved). I didn't even need to do an actual adjustment.

They have a ground wire coming out of them, just like your original, and will get grounded through a matching black wire in the harness plug.
I’m a bit confused. See my picture. Of course this is my original one and the ground is circled. This black later model one that we are discussing, that doesn’t have a ground like mine has….. it Just has five wires coming out of the unit….so again can i just mount it anywhere?

Attachments

• 7DDF303A-7E14-4C75-9AAE-F7FB1B431D00.jpeg
    7DDF303A-7E14-4C75-9AAE-F7FB1B431D00.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 31
If you do have the old original mechanical regulator, it may just need to be adjusted. They often do when they get old .....

View attachment 237658
When I checked the original mechanical unit on my '78, both gaps were off. It was charging a bit low, about the mid 13's. Just re-setting them to the proper gaps brought the charging output back up (to just over 14 revved). I didn't even need to do an actual adjustment.
Can you send me that PDF again that somebody sent me earlier? I can’t find it. I wanna look at the voltage regulator test again. Not the gap instructions

Can you see that pdf or do you have the factory service manual? A simple test shows if the issue is in the voltage regulator. Is it still factory mechanical regulator? Have you checked ALL electrical connections including grounds?
Can you send me the PDF again? I can’t seem to locate it

What do you think about these solid state rectifier/regulators?? With Something like this I was just plug it into the rectifier harness and then I can remove the regulator from the bike completely??

Attachments

• 377583D5-CC6A-4132-B4B0-9976C4221C10.jpeg
    377583D5-CC6A-4132-B4B0-9976C4221C10.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 26
  • CA8F5B88-C538-45D6-BD8F-96DFBC287334.jpeg
    CA8F5B88-C538-45D6-BD8F-96DFBC287334.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 28
Tis below...😇

Attachments

• XS CHARGING EARLY.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 45
What do you think about these solid state rectifier/regulators?? With Something like this I was just plug it into the rectifier harness and then I can remove the regulator from the bike completely??
I've not used that brand, but yes the solid state units do replace both the rectifier and regulator. If you want to go that route - and you have a '79 or earlier XS650 US model - you need this unit:

https://www.electrosport.com/collec...esr350-regulator-rectifier-yamaha-xs650-70-81

On the advantages side, that product appears to have the correct connectors to plug right into the factory harness.

Ahhhhh. So thats what the two harmesses are for coming out the new unit. One for rect and one side for reg….and yes i have a 1975 worh Morris mags. One of a kind. Haha

Attachments

• 5DFF6221-FFC9-45B3-A5B4-1D224B4F990C.jpeg
    5DFF6221-FFC9-45B3-A5B4-1D224B4F990C.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 32
Yes, you can mount it anywhere. It has a black ground wire running to it's inside, you just can't see where it goes because it's a totally enclosed unit. You see it on your original because it's an open air unit.

Yes, you can mount it anywhere. It has a black ground wire running to it's inside, you just can't see where it goes because it's a totally enclosed unit. You see it on your original because it's an open air unit.
Oh ok. Got it. If it was up to you what would you do to alleviate future issues? Would you go with the solid-state rectifier regulator all in one OR just go with one of these newer rectifiers that are fully closed, an OEM Yamaha, and keep the old school mechanical regulator?🤔🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back