Starter troubles

yoda2nd

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently picked up an XS750. Guy I bought it from started the bike up for me before I bought, so I know it runs. Trailered it 2 hours back home and the next day try to start it and the starter barely can turn the motor over. I have tried the following:

1. Jumping from the battery terminals from charged battery and my car
2, Hooking up before and after the solenoid
3. Removed the cover over the starter and hooked the negative to the case of the starter and the positive to the terminal

In each case, starter can barely crank the engine over. I have removed the starter and hooked it up directly and it spins fast.

Is is possible that something else is wrong? The trailer I rented from Uhaul had no suspension, and there were a few bumps that I was not able to avoid. I am afraid that something else got jarred loose on the way back.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Yoda, welcome to the forum. I can't tell you what the problem is based on what you've told us so far but I have no doubt that there are people on here who will be able to help you sort it out. Tell us more about the bike - is it an XS750 triple? What year? Photos?

Does the bike have a kick-start? If so, does the engine turn freely with that? Have you tried turning the engine - centre stand, put in gear and turn the back wheel, or maybe put a spanner on the end of the crank?

How did the seller start the bike? Did he use the starter and did it seem reluctant then? It's possible he started the bike and warmed it up before you arrived . . .

FWIW I think the idea that you shook sommat loose on the way home is unlikely. You might have nothing worse than a badly wired or lazy starter motor - if the engine sounded good then you probably have a bike that's good enough to be worth sorting the starter issues.

I'd be pulling the spark plugs, then see what happens when you crank it............
Gas flooding one possibility.
Nothing like a rough trailer ride to fuggle a float carb.

Last edited:
Hi Yoda, welcome to the forum. I can't tell you what the problem is based on what you've told us so far but I have no doubt that there are people on here who will be able to help you sort it out. Tell us more about the bike - is it an XS750 triple? What year? Photos?

Does the bike have a kick-start? If so, does the engine turn freely with that? Have you tried turning the engine - centre stand, put in gear and turn the back wheel, or maybe put a spanner on the end of the crank?

How did the seller start the bike? Did he use the starter and did it seem reluctant then? It's possible he started the bike and warmed it up before you arrived . . .

FWIW I think the idea that you shook sommat loose on the way home is unlikely. You might have nothing worse than a badly wired or lazy starter motor - if the engine sounded good then you probably have a bike that's good enough to be worth sorting the starter issues.

Bike is a 1979 XS750 Special. Yes it is a triple. I actually have 2, this one I just got and my Dad's. My Dad's has not run in 30 years and has a long list of issues that need to be fixed to get it running. The one I just picked up has a running engine. It does need some carb work as it will only run with the choke on and the brakes need some TLC. Other than that, it is in really good shape.

Rear wheel spins freely when the bike is in neutral. Kickstarter lever will turn the engine fairly easily.

Seller jump started the bike with his car. The engine started up almost immediately, so I did not notice if the starter was reluctant then.

Right now, when I try the starter I might get 1-2 cranks a second. With no plugs the engine spins freely.

I'd be pulling the spark plugs, then see what happens when you crank it............
Gas flooding one possibility.
Nothing like a rough trailer ride to fuggle a float carb.

Took the spark plugs out and ran the starter, starter turned the motor easily. Sounded more like I would expect a starter to sound. Did not see any fountains of gas either. Though the spark plugs were wet.

Attachments

• IMGP2127.JPG
    IMGP2127.JPG
    740.4 KB · Views: 122
It happens that starters get flooded with motor oil from a leaking seal at the shaft boss, to a practiced ear they SOUND wet and slow.

Thinking out loud here
I don't know this bikes wiring or is certain how your method has affected .
If you are using the bikes wiring there can be voltage drops in buttons and key switch .. safety relay.
I would try to start with kick starter would not be so difficult on a triple ..and if that checks out.
Let it run for a while and then stop then use the starter button
If not working I would service that circuit for starting.
Tightening , Grinding , Copper grease.
I suppose a starter motor can need service but that would be later unless some manual has simple short instructions for brushes or other.
Power to the starter motor is a big lead . And needs inspection perhaps a relay. there also

It happens that starters get flooded with motor oil from a leaking seal at the shaft boss, to a practiced ear they SOUND wet and slow.

I swapped out the starter from my second XS750, has the same result. I have opened up the original starter and do not see any signs of engine oil in it, but I will hunt around for a rebuild kit.

Thinking out loud here
I don't know this bikes wiring or is certain how your method has affected .
If you are using the bikes wiring there can be voltage drops in buttons and key switch .. safety relay.
I would try to start with kick starter would not be so difficult on a triple ..and if that checks out.
Let it run for a while and then stop then use the starter button
If not working I would service that circuit for starting.
Tightening , Grinding , Copper grease.
I suppose a starter motor can need service but that would be later unless some manual has simple short instructions for brushes or other.
Power to the starter motor is a big lead . And needs inspection perhaps a relay. there also

Starter is reluctant even when I hooked the jumper cables up directly to the post on the starter motor and the engine block. I worked my way up through the wiring to that point. I will however redo all the wring from the starter to the battery.

Put in some new spark plugs and tried the kickstarter. Started on the third kick, so I know I can at least use that.

Hi all,

So to provide an update, got a brand new bike battery, swapped out the starter from my parts bike and fixed some wiring the previous owner added. The starter works just fine now. Not sure exactly what the root issue was, but I suspect it was a combination of issues.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, it was much appreciated.

Nearly done, just have to sort out some carb issues and it should be good to go for a test drive.

Hi all,

So to provide an update, got a brand new bike battery, swapped out the starter from my parts bike and fixed some wiring the previous owner added. The starter works just fine now. Not sure exactly what the root issue was, but I suspect it was a combination of issues.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, it was much appreciated.

Nearly done, just have to sort out some carb issues and it should be good to go for a test drive.

I had a 1978 XS750 standard, back when it was new. That bike became a very reluctant starter , much the way you describe. Crank and crank and wouldn’t fire, I got to where I always kick started it. Then I installed a high quality battery and it solved the problem. It would start quickly and without drama. Glad you figured yours out. :thumbsup:

Back