The Patience build.

Well, hopefully you didn't burn a coil out. With the key on, if a points set is closed, that coil will keep charging and charging. It will get very hot and can burn out.

It’s taken all day to charge that battery mainly because my first charger that was hooked up decided to give up the ghost at some time during the day so I had to hook up one of my maintainers. It’s almost there but it’s an AGM battery and I need to make sure it’s fully charged. I took the time to work on some of the other parts I need(it never seems to stop) and am making somewhat progress. Of course Sumo rubber only had one side cover rubber in stock and zero of the Airbox connectors I need for the XJ. Jackie has been very accommodating and told me that since the parts were not available from his UK supplier he would order directly from his Japanese source. Seeing as how none of the rubber bits I need is causing an issue I want to see what he tells me about a timeline. I ordered my 5K spark plug caps off Amazon and they don’t seem to carry an inexpensive wire option so I’m going to check the Marine store tomorrow for wire BTF. If not I found a set at TSC with 6 different length wires with copper core for tractors. I’ll cut them anyway so that may be an option.

It’s taken all day to charge that battery mainly because my first charger that was hooked up decided to give up the ghost at some time during the day so I had to hook up one of my maintainers. It’s almost there but it’s an AGM battery and I need to make sure it’s fully charged. I took the time to work on some of the other parts I need(it never seems to stop) and am making somewhat progress. Of course Sumo rubber only had one side cover rubber in stock and zero of the Airbox connectors I need for the XJ. Jackie has been very accommodating and told me that since the parts were not available from his UK supplier he would order directly from his Japanese source. Seeing as how none of the rubber bits I need is causing an issue I want to see what he tells me about a timeline. I ordered my 5K spark plug caps off Amazon and they don’t seem to carry an inexpensive wire option so I’m going to check the Marine store tomorrow for wire BTF. If not I found a set at TSC with 6 different length wires with copper core for tractors. I’ll cut them anyway so that may be an option.
She..... Jackie is a she.

I use VW Beetle silicone plug wires from EMPI, about $15 to $20 for a set of 5 (enough for 2 1/2 650s, lol).

EMPI Plug Wire.jpg

HondaMP08Installed2.jpg

HondaMP08Installed3.jpg

Ok so I switched the point leads to coils, flipped the wires and still just firing on the right. Changed the plugs around just in case and no difference. What am I looking at here guys? I’m searching previous posts but nothing yet.

I thought I’d try something else. I turned off the light in the garage and turned the bike over. Had a good spark on #2 points and nothing on #1. What’s confusing me is I’m getting 12v to the coil from the points but shouldn’t they be sparking as well when I turn the bike over? I’m going to clean and gap those points again but I may have found the issue.

Ideally you'd have no spark at the points. Sparking is what pits the contacts and causes wear. The condenser's main purpose in life is to prevent/minimize sparking at the points.
In other words, there's no such thing as "good sparking" on the points.

I planned on trying that but left the key on last night and am changing the battery now. On another note I finally spun that valve in a drill and yep, wobbler…

The Airbox side is snug and the carb side is a tiny bit loose. When I get the spring installed I should know better about that side. How should it fit, snug both sides?
I would have preferred the carb side be snug because that’s where the weight of the carbs are supported. I heard the same comments about the fit for my GT750. Hopefully with the clamps snugged up they will be fine.

Well it’s official, I’m an expert at missing the obvious. Somehow that set of points had gotten dirty after I installed and gapped them. I have a running bike and it’s running pretty well! I’m still going to change out the wires but WOW this feels good.

I will also add no clutch issues so the plates freed up upon start-up, bike runs and shifts fine it’s just a little sluggish which I’m sure is a slight timing adjustment or carb tweak I still need front brake lines and some rubber parts but with the start-up and seeing everything work it’s a major step in my mind
I think the valves are a little loud but I adjusted them twice.

Back