The reconstruction begins 1977 (Surprise)

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well since my ribs are healing nicely I thought although I'm not good enough to get on the horse and ride it
I thought If I take it easy I need to start to fix what is bent etc. and get it back to looking good and ridable condition
I have a question about how to get the bent left ear off the bike and put a new one (thanks @gggGary for all your parts !!!
I'm going to post a few pictures of that part of the bike in the hopes someone can tell me how much I need to disasemble to be able to do that
Bear in mind I'm a bit of a church mouse when it comes to this ( I don't want to tear it so far apart that I can't get it together again 'DO NO HARM)

Do I need to take apart the entire triple tree
20230704_151802.jpg
20230704_151938.jpg
20230704_153212.jpg
and lift it off the tubes
I'm most concerned about that large Acorn nut on the very top
Lets start with a few photos

Last edited:
Bike on center stand
brace or jack uner engine so front wheel is "just" not touching the ground.
remove front wheel and fender,
Loosen the bolt for that tube on the top triple, drop that tube down so that the ear can go out to the side,

Bike on center stand
Loosen the bolt for that tube on the top triple, drop that tube down so that the ear can go out to the side,
I will have to get the center stand fixed or find a safe to do this
Thats what I needed to know
The triple trees and the forks look good but I will have to take a really close look at the tubes to make sure there not bent
Just put a straight edge on them ( the tubes)
Thanks for the info I can do that !!

On this I take it the center stand should hit the rubber first and at that time it should be close but not touching the muffler
I have a friend with a torch and he's a bit of a machinist so he should be able to straighten that back again

On this I take it the center stand should hit the rubber first and at that time it should be close but not touching the muffler
I have a friend with a torch and he's a bit of a machinist so he should be able to straighten that back again

Hey Mikey, so you’re getting ready to get er goin again eh buddy? 😃 I looked to see if I had a few photos of the center stand and these were the best I had. I hope they are of some use to you.
IMG_5921.pngIMG_5922.jpegIMG_5923.jpeg
Hey also, you might want to consider a Harbor Freight bike jack, I used the heck out of the one I’ve got. Just don’t forget to use tie down straps with it, cause it’s easy enough to wrestle it off of there. And actually 4 straps are better than two.
IMG_5924.jpegIMG_0771.jpeg

When you say tang is that the arear that contacts the floor or the area you step on

Got it, time to take it off and head to my buddys house
With the pictures Bob posted it should give us a good look at what it looked like before the crash

Your picture doesn't show it very well, but you're saying the tang is bent, hitting the muffler before the leg hits the rubber bumper? If so then yes, it should be an easy fix, just bend the tang back out a little. And while you're "fixing" the stand, does your buddy have a welder? The tangs on these need to be braced or they break off eventually .....

Braced Stand2.JPG

Another very worthwhile mod is adding grease fittings to the pivots. It's amazing how much easier the stand will operate if kept well greased .....

83StandGreased2.jpg

But, this requires some welding as well. The tube isn't thick enough for the grease fitting so you need to build up a small blob of weld there .....

PivotWeld.jpg

PivotWeld3.jpg

PivotWeld5.jpg

Oh I happened to find this short clip from the 650 Society members frrm the Ozark ralley this spring

I think they did it to chear me up while was in the hospital from hell in AR
What a bunch of nice fellas boy them old Yamahas bring out the best in guys
Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike on center stand
To take off the wheel (remove the axle) the book says take off the locking nut (castle nut right side) or remove the 2 bolts on the bottom of the fork tube left side
I can do it either way but what is the hole on the left axle do for getting the axle out (the punch is in the hole ) put the punch in the hole and turn it off
20230726_161808.jpg

Back