The reconstruction begins 1977 (Surprise)

And I bought a used lift for $90 should be very helpfull getting the bike off the ground finally

Attachments

• 20230726_155649.jpg
    20230726_155649.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 56
Remove the axle nut AND loosen the two nuts on the left... not OR, you have to do BOTH. Then use the punch to twist the axle out.
Got it
I was wondering what that hole in the left side of the axle was for now I know
Thanks !!

I take it the hole in the axle does not need to be at like the 2 o'clock position when going back together again
It's beer 30 here and I'm the only one that thinks it's OK to drink beer in the shade when it's 96 degrees out
Watching the sprinkler run is kinda relaxing

Mikey, just a little heads up. When you pull your front wheel out, if you remove the speedometer drive from the left side of the wheel, there is this little circular piece with tabs on it, that goes in there.
You have to be careful when you reinstall it, make sure it’s fitted in there correctly. I failed to do that once before and bent it, then the speedo won’t work.
IMG_6045.jpegIMG_6044.jpeg

Also when you have the bike on a lift like that and remove a lot of weight from one end or the the other it's best to put some blocking under the wheel on the other end of the bike. doesn't take much to tip the bike/ lift and everything to the heavy end, that'll wreck your day but good.

Also when you have the bike on a lift like that and remove a lot of weight from one end or the the other it's best to put some blocking under the wheel on the other end of the bike. doesn't take much to tip the bike/ lift and everything to the heavy end, that'll wreck your day but good.

Good to know thanks it's ratchet down but I don't need bad karma ei
The lift can go right over with the bike. Maybe not with just the wheel but drop the fork tubes and.............
You also got saddlebags and sissy bar bags back there.
I've never lost one but got lucky and caught one on the way over at least once.

You'll want to loosen the axle nut first before loosening those two nuts on the clamp on the left leg. The clamp holds the axle from spinning as you loosen the nut.

That speedo drive part Mailman mentioned shouldn't just fall out. It should be held in the hub with a stepped washer and the grease seal on top of that .....

SpeedoDriveWashers.jpg

SpeedoDriveWashers2.jpg

SpeedoDriveWashers3.jpg

TinHubCover.jpg

The lift can go right over with the bike. Maybe not with just the wheel but drop the fork tubes and.............
You also got saddlebags and sissy bar bags back there.

I've never lost one but got lucky and caught one on the way over at least once.
Time to take another look at what I got going It would be bad to have it tip over while on the lift :yikes:
Maybe today I can get some help getting it on the center stand instead

You'll want to loosen the axle nut first before loosening those two nuts on the clamp on the left leg. The clamp holds the axle from spinning as you loosen the nut.

That speedo drive part Mailman mentioned shouldn't just fall out. It should be held in the hub with a stepped washer and the grease seal on top of that .....

View attachment 247976

View attachment 247977

View attachment 247978

View attachment 247979
Thanks for the info
Everything is new to me, only one way to learn (the correct way )

Wood I have thanks
I got this lift figuring it would be rock solid stable up in the air
Now I know better
Thanks !!

Well, since this is all new to you, let me explain some things about that axle clamp. It is directional. If you look on the bottom you will see an arrow and it should point forward. Also, if you look closely at the clamp, you'll notice the front section is thicker than the rear. This is by design. To install it properly, tighten the front nut until the clamp hits the fork lower, then tighten the rear nut. You should end up with no space at the front and a small gap at the rear .....

Axle Clamp.jpg

I see in one of your earlier pics (post #20) that it was installed correctly.

Then, when you're ready to put the front wheel back on, I can walk you through that procedure. There is a proper sequence to follow so that the forks don't bind.

Thanks !!
Mikey, just a little heads up. When you pull your front wheel out, if you remove the speedometer drive from the left side of the wheel, there is this little circular piece with tabs on it, that goes in there.
You have to be careful when you reinstall it, make sure it’s fitted in there correctly. I failed to do that once before and bent it, then the speedo won’t work.
View attachment 247968View attachment 247969
Thanks
It's the little thing I might have missed

Back