What have you done to your XS today?

Very pleased with them - nice looking product that does its job. There's several pic's in my photo album - see "Redleg's '82 Heritage Special". The brake lever arm is shorter than the OEM one, so you lose some leverage, making the rear brake even harder to apply and less functional - make sure you have an aggressive lining on the brake shoes and that your front brake is in tip-top shape. I did a couple things differently than the instructions called for: using two s/s 12mm fender washers behind each of the supplied spacers and jam nuts to tighten the billet mount on the pegs, I spaced the brake set out 5mm on the peg studs so that the bolt head on the kick start lever would clear the inside of the brake lever. Also, I had the hole in the shortened OEM brake lever drilled and tapped for 5/16" thread, instead of using the supplied locknut to fasten the rod end to it.

I filled the bike's tank and then went to Carl's jr to fill up my tank :laugh: and took the long way home to make sure the family was OK and didn't need anything. SWMBO was still sleeping when I left. Got a thumbs up and I cooled down and got more hydrated(100+F these days in the desert). Since he XS's registration expires his month :doh:, got online and got it re-registered for 5 yrs. That saved a lot of time and $$$:D. Took off again and took a longer ride around the area. All told it was 150mi ride. Since I didn't get my father's day ride last week, I took it today. Life is good! :thumbsup:

Did my usual weekend thing. Carl's jr breakfast, filled the SG's tank, 100miles riding around Tucson. Lunch somewhere in there too. I like riding around the Catalina's mountain range end on Oracle Rd. Oh yeah. The speedometer's needle was always bouncing 30 degrees or so. Today I finally took out the speedo and cleaned and lubed the drive connection. Now the needle only swings 3 degrees or so.

i installed a pma system from various donors. installed carbs added oil. just down to turning down a front axle greasing up some stuff and adjusting brake and clutch cables. have headlight and tail light, but need to hook up a brake light switch. I kicked it over and it ran for the first time too! so hopefully next weekend it'll move under its own power and get a test ride. then its just down to installing some blinkers and a speedo of some sort.

Got in the new Tygon fuel hose, some tee's and filters. Needed these to put the stock tank back on the 75. Two petcocks, one fuel input on the EX500 carbs.
Kinda like that extra gallon of gas.
Leo

Went from TCI to PAMCO. Also, shaved my triple tree and repainted it. Beautiful! What a world of difference. Next up: t-bars.

Attachments

• IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 165
Do you have a built thread? From this pic your bike looks sic and I want to see more

No build thread, it's just constant tinkering over the years. Maybe I'll put one up with before and after pics... started as a stock special I bought from a "painter" for $800 - he painted it with interior house paint, dripped right off the first time I put gas in it. But I got a killer deal b/c he listed it on CL as a SX650 - prob no one saw it while searching. I'll see if I can gather some pics this week and put up an official build thread.

Today I reached a milestone- enough miles on the bike to warrant changing the oil for the first time! I rescued the bike from a barn, (last tagged 1991), and have been working on it for about a year. Of course I changed the oil and filters when I first got it, but always knew that engine was still full of sludge and metal chunks. So, a few hundred miles in, I decided it was time. That oil was some kind of black, and yes, there were a few metal shavings. FYI, the "reinforced" sump filter from mikes has held up.
anyway, fresh oil, filter, brass washers on the drainplugs, and ready to ride some more!

Love it, Adam. You can never have to many speed holes. tim

Wrapped my exhausts today.

14566404707_63167524c6_b.jpg

Added some brass ends to them as well!

14749680201_e30504634c_b.jpg

14752530192_9f53e8c9e8_b.jpg

The one is still wet, hence the difference in colour. It is a different "brand", so it may be different once dry. I hope not! I ran short when I did the first one, so I had to get more, but could not find the site I got it from! Got some more off epay, Twice as much so in case it's different I can redo it.

For the guys who want to know, I used 22 feet on each exhaust!! A LOT more thanI had calculated!!:yikes:

Wrapped my exhausts today.

14566404707_63167524c6_b.jpg

Added some brass ends to them as well!

14749680201_e30504634c_b.jpg

14752530192_9f53e8c9e8_b.jpg

The one is still wet, hence the difference in colour. It is a different "brand", so it may be different once dry. I hope not! I ran short when I did the first one, so I had to get more, but could not find the site I got it from! Got some more off epay, Twice as much so in case it's different I can redo it.

For the guys who want to know, I used 22 feet on each exhaust!! A LOT more thanI had calculated!!:yikes:

Almost 50 feet... Dang! Awesome color though.

Back