What have you done to your XS today?

Got up early this morning & felt all motivated.
I got my rear brake shoes replaced & switched out the standard sprocket for a 32 tooth, then took it for a brief ride. Night & day difference! I'm shocked how much smoother she feels.
The upholsterer didn't open until 8, so i made a shopping list of bits needed to bolt a rifle boot into my TW & spent a half hour in the old hardware store that has everything. $65 later & I ran down to the upholstery dude to pick up my shiny new, flat seat. It was a little more than he originally quoted, but I did call & ask for a little bit of piping I hadn't originally specified. $90 & it's pretty damn close to matching the paint! It's subtle, but I like it.

View attachment 249245
View attachment 249246
Beautiful job and not a bad price either.

All set for Wyoming elk hunting!
20230816_141034.jpg

20230816_141020.jpg

Got up early this morning & felt all motivated.
I got my rear brake shoes replaced & switched out the standard sprocket for a 32 tooth, then took it for a brief ride. Night & day difference! I'm shocked how much smoother she feels.
The upholsterer didn't open until 8, so i made a shopping list of bits needed to bolt a rifle boot into my TW & spent a half hour in the old hardware store that has everything. $65 later & I ran down to the upholstery dude to pick up my shiny new, flat seat. It was a little more than he originally quoted, but I did call & ask for a little bit of piping I hadn't originally specified. $90 & it's pretty damn close to matching the paint! It's subtle, but I like it.

View attachment 249245
View attachment 249246
That’s a great lookin’ ride. Nice bike.

After a looonnnngggg HOT summer of not just hot, but freaking HOT, I decided to work on the fuel lines. They had always given me trouble routing them. 2 breather lines, clutch cable, a T fitting from the carbs all in a very confined space. I had rerouted a breather line to where the left one went 90* down as it left the breather. Clutch cable routing adjusted to where it was more out of the way. Also swapped around the petcocks to where the fuel outlet was in the forward position. I tried to make the levers "off" position rear facing. One is the other, nope. Oh well. With all the changes, I got a straight shot across from the "T" to the petcocks. New gaskets for the petcocks made. Mounting surfaces cleaned. Tomorrow, I'll get it all assembled and lube up the clutch cable. We'll see if the ol' SG wants to wake up from the summer slumber.

Today I gave her a good wash and treated her to a local vintage bike show. The Ride or Rot show has been going on here for a few years, but never able to attend. This year the moved the venue to a recently refurbished GE plant that was nicely redone into an indoor market and several buildings. They had set vacant for several decades and decided to repurpose instead of demolish. It’s a cool site to say the least. No pictures of my bike, but there were several other xs’s in attendance. I’ll share a few hilights. First, the xs’s.

A nicely done tracker. I had a nice chat with the owner. Goodies include Jemco exhaust, Tarozzi fork brace, 700cc JE kit with Shell #1 cam, Vape ignition. Very well done.
IMG_0400.jpeg

A little hot rod ‘72
IMG_0402.jpeg

Random ‘75 I believe.
IMG_0407.jpeg

A nice selection of CBX’s. I believe there were 6 in total there today.
IMG_0399.jpeg

A few other random bikes that caught my eye.
IMG_0397.jpegIMG_0398.jpegIMG_0401.jpegIMG_0405.jpegIMG_0403.jpegIMG_0404.jpegIMG_0409.jpegIMG_0410.jpeg

And this one just because it’s my old bike. I traded this to my buddy for a Shovelhead. It was much more stock when we traded though.
IMG_0408.jpeg

Today I gave her a good wash and treated her to a local vintage bike show. The Ride or Rot show has been going on here for a few years, but never able to attend. This year the moved the venue to a recently refurbished GE plant that was nicely redone into an indoor market and several buildings. They had set vacant for several decades and decided to repurpose instead of demolish. It’s a cool site to say the least. No pictures of my bike, but there were several other xs’s in attendance. I’ll share a few hilights. First, the xs’s.

A nicely done tracker. I had a nice chat with the owner. Goodies include Jemco exhaust, Tarozzi fork brace, 700cc JE kit with Shell #1 cam, Vape ignition. Very well done.
View attachment 249716

A little hot rod ‘72
View attachment 249717

Random ‘75 I believe.
View attachment 249718

View attachment 249719

View attachment 249722View attachment 249723View attachment 249724View attachment 249725View attachment 249726View attachment 249727View attachment 249728View attachment 249729

And this one just because it’s my old bike. I traded this to my buddy for a Shovelhead. It was much more stock when we traded though.
View attachment 249730
Another fine collection of bikes!

I like the little Triumph bar hopper with the magneto. 'Course, that saddle and the riding position mean it wouldn't be much use for journeys.

The thing about that Triumph is how skinny it is. The forks look like they came off a mountain bike. Some nice fab work there. There were some really nice HD choppers and bobbers there too with some quality machinework. It was a great show and got to reconnect with some old friends I hadn't seen in years. Most importantly, the '75 ran pretty well and got me home without issues.

View attachment 249716

A little hot rod ‘72
View attachment 249717

Random ‘75 I believe.
View attachment 249718

View attachment 249719

View attachment 249722View attachment 249723View attachment 249724View attachment 249725View attachment 249726View attachment 249727View attachment 249728View attachment 249729

View attachment 249730
Nice range of bikes @willis
looks like a great show.

Fitted new brake pads up front without the shims - they seemed to rattle?…, re-fitted wheel with fresh Bridgestone BT 46 rubber. New rear shoes installed and cleaned up brake plate. Waiting for chain and sprockets from Heidens before rear goes in. Local shop charged £30 to remove old and fit new tyres. Bargain!

Today I decided to modify my 'new' exhaust system due to the right side touching tarmac on right hand bends...a little re-routing with not much space to work with made for few options.

I ended up with this configuration which is growing on me...at least I can lean the bike to the right now.

I also fitted an hour/tacho meter from the Internet which is good as it uses a single wire for an electrical pick up but is just not fine enough on the display in that it reads every .5 seconds rather than continuously. I didn't want a cable drive but may have to reconsider if I want an accurate reading.

Attachments

• 20230823_181757.jpg
    20230823_181757.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230823_181742.jpg
    20230823_181742.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230823_181810.jpg
    20230823_181810.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 47
Very pleased with painting of frame and other bits and pieces.
This is my No. 2 77D - came out of an open shed in the Adelaide hills - lots of weather damage.
Told my painter I want the paint to be like it was on the tank and look like liquid.
I know the original black was not so glossy but this bike is a resto mod - all original parts saved.
All fasteners are polished stainless and there are quite a few chromed bits that arent noticeable like the large washers each side of the handlebar rubber isolators and the front supports for the battery tray for example.
Yes Im bleeding money.
Regards Ray.
seat3.JPG
hb4.JPG
ab6.JPG
fb3.JPG

Some pickies :

This is my No. 2 77D - came out of an open shed in the Adelaide hills - lots of weather damage.
Told my painter I want the paint to be like it was on the tank and look like liquid.
I know the original black was not so glossy but this bike is a resto mod - all original parts saved.
All fasteners are polished stainless and there are quite a few chromed bits that arent noticeable like the large washers each side of the handlebar rubber isolators and the front supports for the battery tray for example.
Yes Im bleeding money.
Regards Ray.View attachment 250029View attachment 250030View attachment 250031View attachment 250032
Some pickies :
Jewelry! 🥰😍🥰

Yes Im bleeding money.
Regards Ray.View attachment 250029View attachment 250030View attachment 250031View attachment 250032
Some pickies :
Beautiful work. I hope it’s a keeper! Interesting routing of the clutch cable. Most I’ve seen are on the outside of the carb.

Back