What have you done to your XS today?

Is it just me? I fail to grasp the relevance of nitrogen as a pathogen or Swiss suicide pods to the question What have you done to your XS today? I mean, when I was dealing with the known unknowns and unknown unknowns of rescuing Miss November from the misadventures inflicted by (unknown) POs I felt a wide range of emotions - surprise, annoyance, incredulity, trepidation, WTF but I never came close to feeling like bringing my earthly perambulations to a swift end.
Agree with you Raymond. There is no emoji to support your comment…….
Im with you on this. 🧐

Well, I suppose if you're going to whinge about things that have nothing to do with XS650s, why not include Royal Enfields, Kawasakis, Triumphs, Hondas, et al.
If conversation is strictly limited to XS650, our virtual barroom might shut down.

I’m going out to vote in about 30 minutes. It’s a lovely warm day. I’ll ride the XS closest to the door. Civic duty combined with fun.

Drained the carbs on the (2) ‘72’s, the ‘75 and added Stabil to a small amount of gas left in the tanks. Didn’t get to the ‘76 but hopefully this week as our riding season is quickly coming to an end…….
Just to rub it in, the ride I just did running errands and to my polling place, was awesome. It's stupid warm out there. I'm loving it!

For storage, besides draining the carbs, I like the fill the tanks as it wards off corrosion inside them. And I actually don't use any stabilizer. I've never had an issue with the gas going bad from sitting just one winter in my unheated garage. My snowblower, on the other hand, needs stabilizer for sitting through the hot summer. That's the only thing I use it in.

I don't use stabilizer in the bikes either. I do top the tanks right up with Chevron 94 octane, which is advertised and promoted as no ethanol content. Also, I'm lucky to get to ride the '74 through the Victoria winter when it is dry - perhaps once per month or so on average over thr last few years. Next project for that is to do an oil change including cleaning both screens.
I did use stabilizer in boat gas, when I had a boat.

CHASING THE PERSISTENT MIS-FIRE ON TAFFY
A day off today, Mrs C is out with a friend, so down the shop and a chance to investigate the mis-fire.
Seat and tank off. Remote fuel supply on. Iggy on and press start.
As usual Taffy fires up straight away but only on the right. Left is cold.
Swap leads over but left is still cold...:umm:
Take out left plug and crank over...Spark is very intermittent.
Replace both spark plug cables from hi-tech carbon core ones to nice new copper ones.... Still no joy.
Pull left plug out again and crank.. Intermittent weak spark... but strangely gets a strong spark as I pull plug away from block.
Reinsert plug to cylinder, fire up and left still dead; gently pull cap off plug whilst bike is running and it bloody fires. Push it on and nothing.. pull it off and fires.
Fires when cap is hovering over threaded connector, but not directly connected.
What evil witchcraft can this be?

I don't use stabilizer in the bikes either. I do top the tanks right up with Chevron 94 octane, which is advertised and promoted as no ethanol content. Also, I'm lucky to get to ride the '74 through the Victoria winter when it is dry - perhaps once per month or so on average over thr last few years. Next project for that is to do an oil change including cleaning both screens.
I did use stabilizer in boat gas, when I had a boat.
In the winter I drain the fuel from my motorcycles I won't be riding. I remove the tanks and store them in the warm basement. I keep one motorcycle for winter use. I transfer the fuel from that, with a long fuel line off the petcock to the snowblower, lawnmower and other yard equipment. I ride the motorcycle to the gas station when I need more fuel for the other equipment.

CHASING THE PERSISTENT MIS-FIRE ON TAFFY
A day off today, Mrs C is out with a friend, so down the shop and a chance to investigate the mis-fire.
Seat and tank off. Remote fuel supply on. Iggy on and press start.
As usual Taffy fires up straight away but only on the right. Left is cold.
Swap leads over but left is still cold...:umm:
Take out left plug and crank over...Spark is very intermittent.
Replace both spark plug cables from hi-tech carbon core ones to nice new copper ones.... Still no joy.
Pull left plug out again and crank.. Intermittent weak spark... but strangely gets a strong spark as I pull plug away from block.
Reinsert plug to cylinder, fire up and left still dead; gently pull cap off plug whilst bike is running and it bloody fires. Push it on and nothing.. pull it off and fires.
What evil witchcraft can this be?
Have you tried a new/different plug in the left side Ads?

Have you tried a new/different plug in the left side Ads?
Hi Jim,
I tried both my old and new set of plugs and caps.
I have ordered new plugs to collect tomorrow.
I will swap the plugs over before I go home.
Will report back then.

Swapped plugs over and RIGHT SIDE IS COLD!..............Aaaargh.... can it be as simple as that? :banghead:
Even a new plug can be bad.
If one is dropped on concrete, the insulator inside the plug can crack... where you can't see it. That'll cause all kinds of strange stuff.
In the airplane world we called 'em "2 drop" plugs. If you dropped one once, even just a small 1ft drop, you picked it up and dropped it again.... into the dust bin.

...and you wouldn't be the first guy to chase his tail 'round a bad plug. Don't ask me how I know that.... :er:

This is a known phenomenon. So, you're not going mad or seeing things. I'm not sure why this happens (I'll ask my brother. He's a physicist.)

I concur with the consensus forming and the evidence (one of the plugs is bad.) There are lots of fake plugs around.

Back