XS cafe racer, what tank to have?

CafeXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I have used the site recently for much needed information and I thought it was about time I joined for some valuable help. I'm currently re-building a 79 xs650 in the cafe racer style. I have built two cafe's before a few years back using a 78 RD125 and a 76 RD200DX, so I have a small amount of experience in the area although I'm new to working on 4 strokes. I have procured an RD400 tank that I thought may look good on the frame for the overall look that I'm trying to achieve but I have my doubts as to if it'll look a bit weedy when the engine is in?. I've only just started the 'mock up' runs and I can't get my head around it. I have an eltro-plater ready to chrome the tank so I don't want to make a big mistake. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!!

I'm kind of partial to this tank on my GS450. It kind of resembles a Norton Manx. Always thought it would make a nice custom cafe tank.

Attachments

• rsz_bikes_027.jpg
    rsz_bikes_027.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 805
Im runing a plain old CB350 tank, from a 73, 74 MY. They have nice knee indentations, and still have almost 4 gallon capacity, while looking the part. There wider and a bit lower than a stock xs tank. A bit shorter too.
XScafefull.jpg

Thanks, both look the part although the GS tank has a great british look about it. I may have to do a little digging around for the GS! I'll post a couple of pics with the RD400 tank on the XS frame see what you think. Thanks again.

Ah, just found this pic on 650rider.com, the tank looks great on the XS. Cheers Tech7.

Attachments

• GilesBelaud8.jpg
    GilesBelaud8.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,169
Not too keen on the XS750, but the Benelli tanks are superb, problem is finding one in the UK on my budget.

I like the aluminum wassel tanks you use to see on Triumphs and BSA's back in the day.The one used on trials bikes not the peanut.

Check ebay for a benelli mojave 260 or 360 tank. I picked up a brand new one at a swap meet. I placed it on a frame and it looks like it will fit really easy and look great. It appears that a few people have found loads of these brand new and in good condition. Mine had some rust on the upper inside around the gas fill from condensation while sitting in storage for many years. They are built real solid, have a single bolt attach hole in front of the fill. Price is right too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cafe...9620376QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks everyone, you've given me a lot to chew on and look into. I have an exact image of how the I want the bike to look, and I'm prepared to trawl as many auctions and salvage yards to get it there. cheers

I know this is old, but did you ever try the RD400 tank on for size? I'm curious as to fitment, so I'd love to see some photos of how it sits.

Thanks!

It's funny you should say that, I ended up coming across an RD400 tank. It's in my garage hanging up! Unfortunately after much, much deliberation. I have decided to brat the bike instead of doing a cafe racer. This also renders my membership name pretty useless too. So I have lowered and extended the back end and now have a harley sportster tank mocked up the frame while I work on the engine. As for the RD400 tank, it fitted straight on and looked great.

Ahh, cool. So no pics then, eh? Can you comment on the length of the tank? Is it longer/shorter than the stock XS650 tank? Did the front mounts line up ok?

Assuming all that is a go, it's a simple matter of making the rear mounts work.

Thanks for your help!

Jarrett

I'll have a measure up and post some info and photo's of it mocked up on the frame. Th e tank is up for grabs if youe interested? I was going to ebay it.

Back