XS6502F / XS650SK mash up?

20210606_192146.jpg

Jetmarty, looking side shot here at my Standard fork ears. I think Standard ears which reach up from low appear lower than Special ears..idea

Perhaps Not what You are Looking for but I put it here as suggestions
The brackets Could be fabricated and painted or made of Aluminum moving the lamp a bit
Something fastened into the Stock bracket holes

I had an English lamp for many years it was a Lucas for some English bike I believe I don't now from what bike
It had very fine Chrome and some control lamps red and green I did not use .
With a flat back. Rather large

I have bought Auto lamps . rectangular ones .On flea markets and so That I have planned to Use
If one can consider go that direction there is a lot out there
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Vintage-Headlight-Headlamp-Chopper/dp/B07P9FD1M3

Perhaps in between the fork legs .. But I know that not everyone like rectangular

I think the fender is going to hit that bracket on the bottom of the headlight bucket upon full fork compression.

Good spotting 5Twins! It is less then 5mm lower then the banjo on the lower tree however so an easy work around.

Attachments

• 0A13C10B-40E0-4312-8A4E-D6768D12898D.jpeg
    0A13C10B-40E0-4312-8A4E-D6768D12898D.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 134
Are there any pitfalls in swapping frames between Special and Special II? Are there any issues hooking up the drum brake on the disk brake frame that require cutting and or welding?

Not really long as you have a drum swing arm. Brake switch mount mebby.
Side covers differed in some years?

78SE........79SF.....792F SII.............80G SII.......... have metal side-covers that hang off the top brackets...........80SG and all later frames have plastic side-covers that slip into rubber grommets.........81/82/83 have drum brakes on the rear.........

78SE..... 79SF....... 80SG........... have disk brake rear

792F SII.... 80G SII.... 81H/SH....82J....83K.... have drum brake rear

Drum to disk or reverse.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/rear-brake-conversion-drum-to-disk-or-disk-to-drum.51944/

be easier to look at, open the pics in another tab and download them

Going from Drum rear wheel to a disk brake swing-arm is the easiest. All that is needed done to the swing arm is to weld a bracket to the bottom of the swing-arm to take the brake plate stay. if you have the components from the drum wheel, brake rod and the brake actuator, that the brake lever attaches to, it is a simple swap in.

Going the other way from drum to disk, there are a lot of brackets to weld to the swing-arm and fame to take the reservoir and MC and brake hose

Going from Drum rear wheel to a disk brake swing-arm is the easiest. All that is needed done to the swing arm is to weld a bracket to the bottom of the swing-arm to take the brake plate stay. if you have the components from the drum wheel, brake rod and the brake actuator, that the brake lever attaches to, it is a simple swap in.

Going the other way from drum to disk, there are a lot of brackets to weld to the swing-arm and fame to take the reservoir and MC and brake hose
My concern is going disc brake frame to drum brake. Will the drum brake pedal and brake light switch mount without major issues?

I think you will need a couple more tabs, for the pedal height adjuster, maybe the pedal return spring, and as Gary mentioned, the brake light switch .....

CJBU0rg.jpg

lgV0fcy.jpg

JshMFxj.jpg

Why are you considering a frame swap?
Titling maybe.
I was offered a frame with a title. I know it's a Special with tabs for metal side covers. I don't know if it's Special or Special II. It's in Georgia and I'm headed there for a family event anyway. I'll cram it into the trunk of the Ford Focus and save the bonded title process. So, good guess.

Back