Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Disregard everything... Who has the dumbass trophy..? I just wanna hold it...

Attachments

• 16886968276003061608060689040433.jpg
    16886968276003061608060689040433.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 34
Meters are $10-$20, I have these meters mounted on my 2 XS650s,$8-$10 online. These ones mounted show the state of my +12v after the ignition switch(headlight shell brown). Each could have clips or probes fitted for troubleshooting. Many will think me a wanker, but I scope out garage sales on Thurs mornings sometimes. I scored my motorcycle lift and an electical kit with connectors, testors (ac), multimeter, struppers, crimpers, etc for $50 lift, $15 kit. I know you are young and on a budget probably and you need to make choices that work for you. Best wishes on your project. Cheers
16886966635783060997213512655105.jpg
16886966967355918923429928277648.jpg

Meters are $10-$20, I have these meters mounted on my 2 XS650s,$8-$10 online. These ones mounted show the state of my +12v after the ignition switch(headlight shell brown). Each could have clips or probes fitted for troubleshooting. Many will think me a wanker, but I scope out garage sales on Thurs mornings sometimes. I scored my motorcycle lift and an electical kit with connectors, testors (ac), multimeter, struppers, crimpers, etc for $50 lift, $15 kit. I know you are young and on a budget probably and you need to make choices that work for you. Best wishes on your project. CheersView attachment 246613View attachment 246614
Thankfully working at a dealership gives me a pretty good wage, and a reasonable discount on parts, tools, and accessories (depending on what combination of those you get.)
I do still try to get stuff cheap, and I'd probably not mount to the bars to avoid clutter but it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and put a volt meter on it somewhere.

Been debating throwing on an afternarket digital gauge cluster. Maybe I'll find one that can read batt. Voltage. I gotta admit tho, it's pretty cool you can just plug into it for troubleshooting. Nice bikes!

So... It was definitely a fuse issue.

I got the bike started up on the second kick and had it running right as rain when it got warm. With the throttle, clutch, and rear brake connected and fully functional I couldn't help myself, and took it for a SUPER haphazard ride down the alley and back. Not my brightest move but boy was it the embodiment of freedom. I can say for certain that the time I rode the bike before the rebuild was NOTHING compared to that short, super sketchy rip. No wonder you all love em so much... Holy SHIT. it ran so well. Tons of throttle response, and torque was well over what I expected... Now I really need to get this thing going so I can get a real ride on it....

But seriously. It's a pretty unreal feeling being able to ride a 7 year project with a fresh rebuild for the first time... I'm in love.

So... It was definitely a fuse issue.

I got the bike started up on the second kick and had it running right as rain when it got warm. With the throttle, clutch, and rear brake connected and fully functional I couldn't help myself, and took it for a SUPER haphazard ride down the alley and back. Not my brightest move but boy was it the embodiment of freedom. I can say for certain that the time I rode the bike before the rebuild was NOTHING compared to that short, super sketchy rip. No wonder you all love em so much... Holy SHIT. it ran so well. Tons of throttle response, and torque was well over what I expected... Now I really need to get this thing going so I can get a real ride on it....

But seriously. It's a pretty unreal feeling being able to ride a 7 year project with a fresh rebuild for the first time... I'm in love.
I rode the "Red Bike" first time today too. That feeling of success is indeed incredible..
Cheers

I don't think anybody who buys any new vehicle out of a dealer can possibly understand the feelings of involvement & belonging that go with riding a bike you have taken apart and rebuilt yourself. Well done @G_YamTech_314!
Thank you Raymond. I appreciate the feeling of being understood with this specific experience. I really never thought it would feel this good lol. Better than any drug. Just proves that hard work pays off, and that all the bad days are worth it. It's a life lesson I really needed to learn too... I had a pretty bad day at work yesterday, then I got a chance to ride the Yamaha and everything literally melted away. I felt like a million bucks. It's hopefully all up from here with this build. I couldn't be more excited.

I'm realizing now in my search for all the parts I have scattered around from the years of building this bike that I need a few things that must've walked away.

currently from the top of my head I can think of a few...

Fork brace of some kind, as well as a front fender (does a fender brace the forks?) It doesnt need to be stock, if anyone has any leads on where to get one that will work on the bike with minimal modification.

rear brake spring designed for a rear disc mag wheel set up. (I tried very hard to make the 76 frame look identical to a later model frame with rear hydraulic disc brakes)

headlight bucket mounting brackets (I have SUPER CRAPPY painted braces that were chrome originally, and I need some that are nicer than the ones I've acquired.

the plate that screws into the switch housings to secure the throttle cable

a new lower end clutch adjustment screw (the nut is okay, but the phillips head center threaded piece is destroyed, and I fear that if I don't address it soon it'll need replaced as an assembly)

there's so much more, for sure. but I just need to coddle things together in small steps for now.

I'm realizing now in my search for all the parts I have scattered around from the years of building this bike that I need a few things that must've walked away.

currently from the top of my head I can think of a few...

Fork brace of some kind, as well as a front fender (does a fender brace the forks?) It doesnt need to be stock, if anyone has any leads on where to get one that will work on the bike with minimal modification.

rear brake spring designed for a rear disc mag wheel set up. (I tried very hard to make the 76 frame look identical to a later model frame with rear hydraulic disc brakes)

headlight bucket mounting brackets (I have SUPER CRAPPY painted braces that were chrome originally, and I need some that are nicer than the ones I've acquired.

the plate that screws into the switch housings to secure the throttle cable

a new lower end clutch adjustment screw (the nut is okay, but the phillips head center threaded piece is destroyed, and I fear that if I don't address it soon it'll need replaced as an assembly)

there's so much more, for sure. but I just need to coddle things together in small steps for now.
I have a clutch actuator complete with the screw, yours for the postage. Message me.

Finally getting around to installing a few parts I've had laying around. I received your clutch actuator in good shape @Kevin Werner

My question is... Which ones gonna make my clutch pull easier...? I'd think the long one. But I know it also offers less clutch disengagement. Thoughts on this anyone?

Attachments

• 16911064229582227742272141808455.jpg
    16911064229582227742272141808455.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 28
Got my points and advance covers installed finally... Also installed the alternator cover gasket, and the rear exhaust hangers. Gonna need new acorn nuts for the rear foot peg studs... But I suppose teeny tiny baby steps are better than no steps at all. It's got both foot pegs on it now... So if I decide to ride it again at least it's got that going for it. 😂😂

Attachments

• 16911109696294760025200881540299.jpg
    16911109696294760025200881540299.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 16911109881246075819898894363372.jpg
    16911109881246075819898894363372.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 25
Finally getting around to installing a few parts I've had laying around. I received your clutch actuator in good shape @Kevin Werner

My question is... Which ones gonna make my clutch pull easier...? I'd think the long one. But I know it also offers less clutch disengagement. Thoughts on this anyone?
Like everything, it's a tradeoff 'tween easy pull and enough actuator movement. I did a little experimenting a while back. For my bike, about 45mm length on the actuator was the best trade off if I remember correctly. Ymmv...
Have a look here.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/yet-another-clutch-mod-thread.57235/

What a good read. Now you really have me wonderin' how much easier a pull I can achieve... Compared to my ninja it's a mammoth to pull... Kawi also uses a slipper clutch and I feel like 40 years of technological advances play a big part.

All in all, cable lube probably makes a massive difference. I'll give that a go first. Either way, I'm excited to be working on the Yamaha more.

I caved and got a whole tool set from HF so I could do more work on the bikes at home... I'm so effin tired of not being able to see what this XS650 has to offer...

I re-drilled the actuator arm on my 1980xs further out; essentially offering more leverage.
Re-lubed what was a new cable, and a better route to the clutch.
Now it is easy to pull (Fu(kin' hard before).
No more aching wrist. Clutch plates disengage without problem.

Capture.PNG

Another ride and slight adjustment and clutch / neutral is fine now.

Last edited:
I'm having a tough time with mounting this headlight bucket. Somehow seven years was long enough for me to forget how I took it apart... The parts diagrams aren't doin me much good, and I'm thinking the ears are on upside down but that's how they looked in the diagram... I'm pretty sure the bottom arm enfafes with the threaded hole on the bottom part of the steering neck... Help please...

Attachments

• 20230819_200817.jpg
    20230819_200817.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230819_200720.jpg
    20230819_200720.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 27
Back