'71 xs1b conversion to cafe

Absolute ditto!

Those particular 70-71 throttle parts are difficult to find.
In fact, just about everything on your bike is difficult to find.
Except for the sparkplugs and the air in the tires....

Hi 2Many,
I'd suppose that authentic Japanese sparkplugs are still available at a premium, but the air?
I see a niche market for the purists amongst us:-
Genuine Japanese air! Pressurized and tanked on the downwind side of Mount Fuji!

Hi DQG
DON'T NEVER TOSS NOTHIN'!!!!
I have found that any bike part that I ever threw in the trash became essential to my build the day after the garbage truck took it away.

Absolute ditto!

Those particular 70-71 throttle parts are difficult to find.
In fact, just about everything on your bike is difficult to find.
Except for the sparkplugs and the air in the tires....

You guys are absolutely right. I'll keep everything and if anyone needs something just PM me.

The good news is, I've had no trouble coming up with a name for this bike. It's "BAD NEWS."

First bad news was the fact that I knew right away that the PO had taken the engine out and looks to have tinkered with it. Some washers missing from Engine mounts. Two bolts on top engine stays aren't even the same size. The list goes on and on. Let me indulge you with some ugly pics:

Funky oil mixed with water.:yikes:

funkyoil.jpg

Took off the clutch cover and a piece fell off. :mad: Upon closer examination it was held on by JB weld.

clutchcover.jpg

And last but not least, looks like water got in via the clutch cable housing and mixed with some oil (?), resulting in the oil/water emulsion you see (a.k.a. the white encrusted stuff). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

clutch.jpg

I have a feeling that water finding a way to get in, is how the engine seized up one day and the PO simply put it in a corner of the garage.

Last edited:
Well the worse they are the more you'll learn.
That left side you took off is the alternator side, the clutch is on the right. When you take off the right side, try to pull the case over the kick start axle, so you can see what it looks like assembled. Putting the kick start back together is, I'm told, a rite of passage with XS 650 ownership.

Well the worse they are the more you'll learn.
That left side you took off is the alternator side, the clutch is on the right. When you take off the right side, try to pull the case over the kick start axle, so you can see what it looks like assembled. Putting the kick start back together is, I'm told, a rite of passage with XS 650 ownership.

Where do you think that white emulsion is coming from? There's no oil on the alternator side right? What is the water mixing with to produce the emulsion?

If that were in contact with water, since there are a couple different kinds of metals in there, it would make a galvanic reaction between the alloy and the steel and produce the crud. Don't overthink it, just clean it up and proceed.

Lakeview, a dumb guy like me is always going to overthink things.

2M, nuts... thanks for the heads up. Guess I asked for it, jumping on a xs1b when nobody else would.

Engine is out:

engine.jpg

Stole some ideas from a few members on this wonderful forum.

Also stole a few empty boxes from the food store, printed out a few exploded diagrams and stapled them to the boxes, and labeled each and every bolt/nut that came out and put them in the corresponding boxes. A box for frame, engine, forks, etc.

On the tape attached to the bolts, you see a corresponding number to the one on the diagram.

labels2.jpg

..Guess I asked for it, jumping on a xs1b when nobody else would...

Harsh reality time.

You'll find it much easier to part-out and sell (if there's anything good left),
Than to find and buy needed critical parts.

But take it apart anyway.
We're here to help evaluate.
Good learning experience, and you'll know for sure.

Options. Running, later model engines:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44882
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45035

Member NONclow has experience in shoehorning late engines into early frames...

You may be able to find a shop that could weld that tab back on...not the greatest option, but it's not impossible to do...especially if you can't find another left side cover. Suppose it's gonna come down to how bad the engine itself is to see if it's worth investing in.

Hi DQG,
don't sweat the leftside casting damage apart from the looks.
That cover don't need to be oil tight, it just needs to have enough fasteners left so itll still work the clutch.
And while the white oxidation on the alternator stator looks ghastly the only thing that matters is if the coils check out OK.
If they do, scrub the oxide off with a wire brush and shes good.

Thanks Gents, for the vote of confidence.

Part of me wants to restore the engine, and another part of me wants to start asking if a later model engine will fit in that frame. :doh:

Haha, the plurality of man. How many voices do YOU hear?

Myself, I'd like to crack it open and see whut's in there.

Kinda like Xmas, but presents from aunt Martha...

Haha, the plurality of man. How many voices do YOU hear?

Myself, I'd like to crack it open and see whut's in there.

Kinda like Xmas, but presents from aunt Martha...

Well it looks like Aunt Martha's voice won out. :bow2:

Head is about ready to come off, but the governor is pretty stubborn about coming out (How many dirty jokes could I make about that? "Governor won't pull out!").

governor.jpg

Hit it with some P/B and will let it sit a while, and while I do that I'd like to see if anyone has a method for getting it out. Is it okay to use pliers on the tab? Or pry around the edge? Obviously want to avoid deforming the plate.

While I wait for the governor to make a move (and we know all governors are full of empty promises) I took out the front wheel, and forks.

Looks like both inner/outer forks are not worth salvaging? For the record, I plan to powdercoat outer forks.

IF.jpgOF.jpg

On the forks, try some "naval jelly" to remove the rust along with steel wool and a wire brush. Mind looked about like that and came out decent. ( they look good from ten feet away!)

Back