Beach cruiser build

1646187485570.png

So does the top hat sit behind the bearing?? And run through it like a sleeve? Seems strange.

If so, then the bearing doesn’t seat in the hub?

Or does it slip in from the front of the bearing? Still seems strange to have a sleeve. No sleeve on the other side.

Ordered an nos one.

OK, with that hat spacer missing, the spacer (23 in my drawing) was side loading the wheel bearings (inner race) when you torqued the axle. Might wanna give 'em a good feel and make sure none of the balls flat spotted. Doubtful... but still worth checkin'.

OK, with that hat spacer missing, the spacer (23 in my drawing) was side loading the wheel bearings (inner race) when you torqued the axle. Might wanna give 'em a good feel and make sure none of the balls flat spotted. Doubtful... but still worth checkin'.

I will do that. Have new seals and bearings coming so I may just replace em anyways.

Does the hat go in behind/before the bearing or does it slip in after from the front?

Drawing makes it look like it’s from behind.

Yes, behind the bearing. That spacer along with #8 make up the distance between the two bearing... making sure the the inner races are captured without side loading them.... if that makes sense? :umm:
EDIT: sorry, first spacer is #7... not 8. Oops.

Untitled.png

Well I got my rear wheel all sorted… thanks all for the help!

Been taking laps around the back field to try and dial in the carbs.

Used the kick start about 10 or so times…

It came from Niche Cycle, had good luck with everything Ive bought there but this guy.

Bent all outta wack haha

Gotta hunt down a real one I guess
43AE4CC4-0767-478E-951E-EDEA17783F0D.jpeg
07605101-3F29-499E-BC3D-E89D2C3B40E9.jpeg
1283F2DE-2E70-4D08-98B6-55A7C6A07304.jpeg
3AF2A35E-368B-4B4E-8636-ED8117C7CC7C.jpeg
1BE43254-AD66-4897-A174-75197980A4E5.jpeg

Wot, you used that shiny lever thing to kick start the bike?

Seriously, I'd send it back, Not Fit For Purpose.

I sent them an email with photos.

I did buy it a year ago so we’ll see. Hard to know it’s junk when you can’t use it until you finish your project.

View attachment 209930 Where is this sourced from? Thanks.

Your lever looks to have just the opposite of the intended bend. My SK lever has the bend in the opposite direction.

Foot pegs came from @halfmile - I’m guessing a common dirt bike peg. He did the work to remove the pin and had nice chrome mounts instead of my black ones.

As for the kickstart - when it was first installed it just barely barely touched the exhaust pipe haha.

Soo absolutely no response from niche cycles about the bent kick start. Multiple emails sent.

I’ll try and track down an original.

As for the bike itself goes… gurgles off the line… backfires on deceleration.

My current jetting

180 main
6f9 needle
20 pilot
2.5 slide
159 p6 needle jet

- it seems rich down below and lean up top. I havnt ridden it enough to get a good color off the line so what I think is a gurgle from being rich, it may be lean down low as well.

I’ve ordered some 190 mains so I’ll see if that helps. I’ll first drop my needle a slot and see if it improves the take off, if not I’ll raise it. See what each does for me.

Beyond that it seems like quite a solid set up.

- on a side note, anyone ever run knobbys on the street. They seem a bit “trackie” as they have quite a soft square edge. Done really roll over like a street tire. Quite an upright ride. - I have had em through the back field at my place(pretty much loose sand) and they handle quite well.

Soo absolutely no response from niche cycles about the bent kick start. Multiple emails sent.

I’ll try and track down an original.

As for the bike itself goes… gurgles off the line… backfires on deceleration.

My current jetting

180 main
6f9 needle
20 pilot
2.5 slide
159 p6 needle jet

- it seems rich down below and lean up top. I havnt ridden it enough to get a good color off the line so what I think is a gurgle from being rich, it may be lean down low as well.

I’ve ordered some 190 mains so I’ll see if that helps. I’ll first drop my needle a slot and see if it improves the take off, if not I’ll raise it. See what each does for me.

Beyond that it seems like quite a solid set up.

- on a side note, anyone ever run knobbys on the street. They seem a bit “trackie” as they have quite a soft square edge. Done really roll over like a street tire. Quite an upright ride. - I have had em through the back field at my place(pretty much loose sand) and they handle quite well.

I've had many dual sports and have run various knobbies on the road. My opinion, I wouldn't. Knobbies wear very quickly, and the most crucial thing is that even on dry days taking turns with them are sketchy at best. Hit a turn like you would on a regular street tire and it gets squirrly. You'll find the ass end wants to kick out and the front is always looking for something to grip so it kind of flops around. I would suggest 70/30 or even 80/20 dual sports if you want something knobbie like. They have the aggressive tread pattern but are rounded like a standard street tire. Much better. Also if you ride in the rain on any of these just know they tend to wander.

View attachment 209930 Where is this sourced from? Thanks.

Your lever looks to have just the opposite of the intended bend. My SK lever has the bend in the opposite direction.

I have a set like these I got from ebay. YZ125 pegs if memory serves me right

I've had many dual sports and have run various knobbies on the road. My opinion, I wouldn't. Knobbies wear very quickly, and the most crucial thing is that even on dry days taking turns with them are sketchy at best. Hit a turn like you would on a regular street tire and it gets squirrly. You'll find the ass end wants to kick out and the front is always looking for something to grip so it kind of flops around. I would suggest 70/30 or even 80/20 dual sports if you want something knobbie like. They have the aggressive tread pattern but are rounded like a standard street tire. Much better. Also if you ride in the rain on any of these just know they tend to wander.

I did pick up a second set of rims to mount some street tires to and do an easy swap.

I plan to mainly ride in beach sand with this ( the reason for the knobs). An it’s small one lane back county roads to the beach.

If I want to go for a long ride, I’ll swap wheels.

Thanks for confirming that knobs are terrible on road. Atleast I know I’m not crazy haha.

Back