Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

One of the many questions I have to solve is: why does the speedometer read so high? I mentioned earlier that at 4,900 RPM, the speedometer says I am around 60mph, yet Pretty pillion says her car's reads 70 or so. Yesterday I saw that I was passing cars on a 55mph road with my speedo reading 55mph.

I just saw on @TX650A919 Van Islander build thread post #48 where the speedo gear was cleaned. Is this my issue too I wonder. Or, is there something done by a past owner that changed it? Or, is this just the way it was built?
With 17/34 sprockets, 60 mph should show about 4K on the tach. It could be a malfunctioning clock.

Ok, I'll be serious, can I discern something by looking inside the gauge assembly?
I would not be able to. My beautiful and original tach is failing. It's whining and the needle is unstable. I'm taking it off before I ride again. I may send it to Joel Levine.
upload_2021-11-17_7-25-48.png

I would not be able to. My beautiful and original tach is failing. It's whining and the needle is unstable. I'm taking it off before I ride again. I may send it to Joel Levine.
View attachment 201875
Thanks for that link. I copied it to my original post so I have it in one place with the other links.
This company seems pretty cool!

I swapped the disk on the front out today as well. I use EBC on all my bikes so I figured I would on Buzzy as well.
View attachment 201483
If I had not read about this screw on another thread, I would have been screwed (see what I did there)? The Clymer manual I have does not show the single disks that came on the 1982 bike, thus it does not mention taking this one out.
View attachment 201484
Can we collectively say "Dang, that is dirty"!!!
View attachment 201485
For the time being, the caliper is holding pressure. But I am going to need to get a rebuild kit ASAP as this 40 year old rubber is truly showing its age.
View attachment 201486
Both of the old pads show significant groves, though the disk is only slightly noticeable. There is only minimal wear otherwise.
View attachment 201487
I could not find the "C" clamp I normally use to press the piston back in so I use a wrench as a buffer and simply squeezed it back with channel locks.
View attachment 201488

I pumped the brake lever a few times and and pressured it up. I then went for a ride down by the Potomac river. The front brakes are better now but I think I will great new line soon and still need to flush the brake fluid.
You need to change fork seals and fork oil, the dirt/expanded rubber on the caliper is all because the fork oil pumped out all over it.

Your tank is 3 gallons, not 3.9.
I went back to relook at several other thread and see where I made the mistake on thinking my tank is bigger. I also see where some have used the tank from XS750s and 850s to get more fuel. While I like the look of this little OEM tank, I'd like to know what bigger sized tanks will fit the bike. I'd like to get up to 5 gallons if there is one out there. Any options readily available?

I went back to relook at several other thread and see where I made the mistake on thinking my tank is bigger. I also see where some have used the tank from XS750s and 850s to get more fuel. While I like the look of this little OEM tank, I'd like to know what bigger sized tanks will fit the bike. I'd like to get up to 5 gallons if there is one out there. Any options readily available?
By far the easiest is a tank from an XS650 standard. gives the 3.9 and a realistic 150 to 180 mile range. Far further than (most of our) butt range.
20210819_140616.jpg

from XS750s and 850s
Scrap the XS850 idea, it has a double backbone and will not fit the XS650. XS750 tanks require some fitting and also a custom seat. @gggGary provides the simplest solution. You only have to block the right petcock mount hole. Personally, I like the Special the way it is. If it's inappropriate, I think replacing it with something that is, is a better option. A friend of mine extensively modified an Eleven Special for touring at great effort and expense. Eventually, he replaced it with a BMW and no one wants the modified 11 Special.

Buzzy is getting 39 mpg now. That us up roughly 5 mpg since I got him.

The wind was quite strong on the way home and in my face. Wind was right at 20mph with gusts around 30 to 35 mph. When one hit, Buzzy would lose about 8 to 10 mph instantly. It's been awhile since I've had a bike that takes a hit like that. And I know the windscreen accounts for most of that slow down. Still, it only tool a little throttle to recover each time

XS650
Special Tanks take 12.5 liters
standard tanks take 15liters

XS750
Standard tanks take 17.5 liter's............If you get the tunnel of the tank from the XS750 tunnel made to an XS650 tunnel it will increase to 22liters.

XS850
get the Euro/Oceania XS850 tank and it is already 22liters and changing the tunnel to an XS650 will give you a 27liter tank.

You need to find out why your bike is getting such poor mileage. Keep this up and the excess fuel can damage the bores due to washing off the lube

You need to find out why your bike is getting such poor mileage. Keep this up and the excess fuel can damage the bores due to washing off the lube

From comment #180. Boog said.... "I mentioned earlier that at 4,900 RPM, the speedometer says I am around 60mph, yet Pretty pillion says her car's reads 70 or so."

If the odometer is also off that much (likely) and Boog is basing his mileage calculation on that... 60 miles indicated would actually be 70 miles traveled. I'm too lazy to do math tonight :rolleyes: but I'd guess his 70mph "buzz" down the freeway is actually gettin' him about 45mpg. That ain't bad.

From comment #180. Boog said.... "I mentioned earlier that at 4,900 RPM, the speedometer says I am around 60mph, yet Pretty pillion says her car's reads 70 or so."

If the odometer is also off that much (likely) and Boog is basing his mileage calculation on that... 60 miles indicated would actually be 70 miles traveled. I'm too lazy to do math tonight :rolleyes: but I'd guess his 70mph "buzz" down the freeway is actually gettin' him about 45mpg. That ain't bad.
And that may very well be the bottom line. I had not thought of that. If my mileage on this last tank were adjusted to 76 miles vice 66, then the 1.7 gallons is 44ish mpg.

And that may very well be the bottom line. I had not thought of that. If my mileage on this last tank were adjusted to 76 miles vice 66, then the 1.7 gallons is 44ish mpg.
44.7 to be exact. We can round up to 45 jus' so I can say I was right.... :laugh2:

After thinking about it, I'm not so sure the odo will be off along with the speedo. :umm: Trying to remember what the inside of a speedo looks like.
Sorry Boog, but the more I think about it, the odo is likely correct.

Odo is gear driven, speedo needle gets influenced by a spinning magnet.
If the front tire is stock size odo is usually right, or wildly wrong, as in stopped or skipping 10 or 100 miles at a time.

Back