DIY side cover knob fix - replacement

Ok get a metric thumb screw. Sure they make metric knobs too. I just don't like welding the nut to the bracket. Did a quick google, hell they even have stainless metric knobs. Cheap too. Options are endless. We have the same end result just one way is less permanent. Another edit...haha. We can all agree the stock knob engineering is whack. Springs wear out, roll pins bend, and plastic drys out and breaks eventually.
The nut is not welded on. It's a nut-sert. The hole just had to opened up slightly for the 6mm nutsert and can be removed if I wanted to return to stock (which I don't). The knobs DogBunny found would be a definite upgrade if I decide to keep the side covers.

Thanks, but all I really did is spend a lot of time poring over the thousands of knobs on eBay, and eventually got lucky and found one that works pretty well.
Substitute cdi for knobs and that's how the Gonzo came about.

I had a professor once tell me he didn't give a crap about what I knew it was what I could find out the he was worried about.

I don't like using standard fasteners on a Japanese MC if I can help it.
@JRay77 is not employing the threads. The thumbscrew replaces the roll pin. So, the thumbscrew end is inside the frame and the knob of your choice is on the side panel for the operator side. Nice! (I think)

I have lost a knob. Maybe use a finer thread? Only one knob over about 5 yrs ain’t bad right? Better than losing the whole side over. The stud keeps it from popping off easy as well. Haha. It works. Play with the idea and let me know.

I have lost a knob. Maybe use a finer thread? Only one knob over about 5 yrs ain’t bad right? Better than losing the whole side over. The stud keeps it from popping off easy as well. Haha. It works. Play with the idea and let me know.
I was thinking about doing that with a spring under the knob and work it as the OE.

Truthfully, I'm not sure if I'll try that or the clip-nut / rivet-nut method. @desmoman900 has a clip-nut and Kawasaki side cover bolts on his and I really like that, but which Kawasaki?
1642865155585.png
1642865287124.png

I was thinking about doing that with a spring under the knob and work it as the OE.

Truthfully, I'm not sure if I'll try that or the clip-nut / rivet-nut method. @desmoman900 has a clip-nut and Kawasaki side cover bolts on his and I really like that, but which Kawasaki?
View attachment 205923View attachment 205924
I tried a couple of clip nuts I had in “inventory” but didn’t like the way they fit in the Special. The riv-nut looks like a good option but unless you use a very small fastener, you would need to drill out the factory hole in the frame to install it as the exiting hole appears to be clearance for 6mm.

View attachment 178528
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M4-M5-M6-F...126446?hash=item2cfd69bd6e:g:EkoAAOSw0w9d3il0
I bought the M6 x 40mm size.

View attachment 178529
Diameter is about the same as the original.

View attachment 178530
Made the hole for the roll pin 9mm from the end. This puts just a little less tension on the spring than original. I think the original tension was just a little high, which contributes to the original knobs failing.

View attachment 178531
The replacement knob has a recess on the back side of the plastic that the spring fits into perfectly.
I used a 5/64 roll pin from a $5 Harbor Freight roll pin kit.

View attachment 178532
Voila.

View attachment 178533
Except for the replacement Chinese knob and the roll pin, everything else is original parts.
I got this idea from this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/tired-...hes-cheap-perminant-fix-here-with-pics.29532/
It has some other good ideas.
BTW, those knobs are cheaper to buy in quantity. I f anyone else wants to try this, I have extras.
Heck I got some USA knobs that are threaded right now! I'll go make some! :)

I tried a search for Kawasaki fairing bolts (eBay & Google). The bolt head @desmoman900 is using is approximately 22 mm in diameter. I may not know the proper search term, but I tried search terms for an M6 with a 20 mm diameter head. No match.

Back