hard clutch pull

I'm wondering if your cable isn't too short? :umm:
Like Greg said, run the perch adjuster all the way in and start from scratch.
I just took a few pics of with the cap off where you would adjust the clutch from the outside and comparing 5twins pics from a previous post mine is not making full contact
The pictures will make it clearer I hope
1st 1 is 5twins there rest are the way it is now and thats before I go and adjust the clutch perch all the way in
I have removed the locking nut just to be able to see clearer
5 twins clutch worm 2.jpg
IMG_20220809_170633237.jpg
IMG_20220809_170645990.jpg
IMG_20220809_170633237.jpg
IMG_20220809_170645990.jpg

Your worm actuator isn't flush because of what Greg said... the arm is already halfway (or more) through it's pull.
The adjuster on the handlebars.... the perch.... screw it all the way in and see where you're at.

Just screwed the adjuster on the perch all the way in it looks the same but..
Time to take a time out and have a couple of beers with my wife of 35yrs and 1 day and they said it would never last
Not trying to ditch you guys I'll try again tomorrow
Oh and yeah just for the hell of it I switched sides on the female end of the worm you know take the bolts of rotate 90 degrees bolts back in and reclock put it all back together ...seems the same
and one more thing I had the same problem with the old cable so...
Tomorow gang as always thanks !!!!!!!
I don't see those guys in the white coats coming to get me so far so all is well in Waite Park tonight

I went through much of this lately after I installed a Magura lever and perch on my bike. After doing everything I could think of, the pull is still quite hard. I just accepted that’s the way it is and it’s a trade off to get better plate separation. Still can’t find the elusive neutral every time though.

That pic of mine you've shown is of the XS400 1L9 worm. It seats deeper into the female nylon worm than the 650 male part and that's another reason I like using it. The way your worm looks, inset like that, is pretty normal for a 650 male worm. Here's a couple pics of a 650 one .....

WormMateStock.jpg

WormMateStock2.jpg

However, the angle on your worm arm is all wrong. As mentioned, it should be at about 90° to the cable for best leverage. Ideally, you get it set slightly less than 90° so that it moves through that angle as you pull the clutch lever in. Yours is way off that. You may need to start screwing it in at a different spot than that "arm pointing to 3 o'clock" position I showed you. Even though it works for me, it obviously is wrong for yours. Fully screwed in and cable connected and adjusted, it should look like this .....

StockWorm.jpg

Here's a bunch of different worm assemblies compared. When started right and screwed together fully, all end up with the worm arm at about 7 or 8 o'clock compared to the mounting holes .....

Worms3.jpg

I clocked the worm gear in the 4 positions it can be put in
I'm going to take the cable off and compare it to the old one thats got to be it
IMG_20220810_115135830.jpg
IMG_20220810_115155528.jpg
IMG_20220810_115214216.jpg
IMG_20220810_115242440.jpg
I got to get to the library quick but when I get back I will compare the cables to see

Last edited:
Third position look right. Yes, check your cable length. The only other thing I can think of is the lever perch and it's adjuster. Is it original?

Third position look right. Yes, check your cable length. The only other thing I can think of is the lever perch and it's adjuster. Is it original?
Could also be a combination of the cable and perch being the wrong ones.

I replaced the perch and lever (and adjuster ?) awhile back about the time I did the 8 plate conversion to it
The pull was a little stiffer when I did the conversion to it
Third position look right. Yes, check your cable length. The only other thing I can think of is the lever perch and it's adjuster. Is it
I'm back to helping my buddy move stuff around his new house and putting up handrails etc.
But first thing I check is the cable length and go from there 1 piece of the puzzle at a time
Thanks guys !!

Also, when adjusting your clutch, you should do the majority of the adjusting, as much as possible, down at the worm. So, start with the adjuster on the perch screwed in fully, then adjust the screw on the worm, and finally finish up with just a turn or two up at the lever. The reason is adjusting down at the worm with it's adjuster screw doesn't change the angle of the cable arm but adjusting up at the perch does. When you adjust at the perch, you are effectively making the outer sheath longer which makes the inner cable shorter. A shorter inner cable will lift the worm arm more.

Another thing you can check is how much the pushrod sticks out of the case. This will tell you if you've lost any of the 5/16" balls that should be fitted between the pushrod(s) and the pusher part on the far end. It should stick out about 48mm .....

OutsideLength.jpg

If you've lost a ball, it would be about 8mm less (5/16" equals about 8mm) and it would give you an additional 8mm of "play" you'd have to adjust out.

Now let's talk about grease. Anything is better than nothing but white lithium grease is rather light. I use the heaviest, thickest, most high pressure stuff I've got, which is Sta-Lube Premium Red grease. It's not real easy to find in tubs like pictured below but HF sells grease gun tubes of it .....

WormGrease.jpg

Also, when adjusting your clutch, you should do the majority of the adjusting, as much as possible, down at the worm. So, start with the adjuster on the perch screwed in fully, then adjust the screw on the worm, and finally finish up with just a turn or two up at the lever. The reason is adjusting down at the worm with it's adjuster screw doesn't change the angle of the cable arm but adjusting up at the perch does. When you adjust at the perch, you are effectively making the outer sheath longer which makes the inner cable shorter. A shorter inner cable will lift the worm arm more.

Another thing you can check is how much the pushrod sticks out of the case. This will tell you if you've lost any of the 5/16" balls that should be fitted between the pushrod(s) and the pusher part on the far end. It should stick out about 48mm .....

View attachment 221565

If you've lost a ball, it would be about 8mm less (5/16" equals about 8mm) and it would give you an additional 8mm of "play" you'd have to adjust out.
Or considering the issues an EXTRA ball in there somewhere....

I'm up but 6:30 ?
I'm just not out as in outside

Back