Home Blasting Setup

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been a little quiet on here of late and not made any progress worth mentioning with my build.

I’ve moved into a new place with the missus and understandably been a little preoccupied with an endless list of chores.

I finally have my own small workshop though and I’ve managed to save a little money to renovate it over the Xmas break.

I’d like to incorporate a small media blasting setup. Who’s done similar and what have you got? What compressor are you using and how does it cope?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!
Daniel.

My advice on the compressor is buy the biggest one you can afford/fit if you really plan to use that cabinet. A lagging compressor is a boat anchor when your trying to get work done. Something like https://www.harborfreight.com/27-ga...e-vertical-shopauto-air-compressor-56403.html

I worked at a restoration shop for about 5 years (about 15 years ago) and we had a nice compressor and it died, then we took a shot at a HF compressor with the extra warranty and it never let us down. As with all HF stuff it can be hit or miss.

drain it at least 1 time a week and run moisture traps inline (we drained it daily). Moisture in the line causes clogs and having to stop every 2 minutes to unclog is as fun as waiting on a compressor.

Only been around a handful of home cabinets and never seen one that didn’t dust up the sight glass. Always use those peel away covers. Make sure it’s air tight at all the seals.

I assume you are going to get one of the cheaper ready made cabinets. Fit LED lights inside the cabinet, paint the inside white, seal all joints with RTV when assembling. Dont neglect dust extraction use a vortex dust collector, fit a baffle to the dust extract on the inside of the cabinet. Fit better seal to the door. Investigate different media, and mixes of media, glass and soda, steel shot.

My advice on the compressor is buy the biggest one you can afford/fit if you really plan to use that cabinet. A lagging compressor is a boat anchor when your trying to get work done. Something like https://www.harborfreight.com/27-ga...e-vertical-shopauto-air-compressor-56403.html

I worked at a restoration shop for about 5 years (about 15 years ago) and we had a nice compressor and it died, then we took a shot at a HF compressor with the extra warranty and it never let us down. As with all HF stuff it can be hit or miss.

drain it at least 1 time a week and run moisture traps inline (we drained it daily). Moisture in the line causes clogs and having to stop every 2 minutes to unclog is as fun as waiting on a compressor.

Only been around a handful of home cabinets and never seen one that didn’t dust up the sight glass. Always use those peel away covers. Make sure it’s air tight at all the seals.

Thanks for the reply WideAWAKE.

I’m from the UK and unfortunately we don’t really have anywhere quite like Harbor Freight, I constantly see it mentioned on here and wish that we did!
Anyway this is the compressor that I’m chewing over purchasing https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-xet19200-ol-air-compressor-230v/

Thanks for the advice!
Daniel.

I assume you are going to get one of the cheaper ready made cabinets. Fit LED lights inside the cabinet, paint the inside white, seal all joints with RTV when assembling. Dont neglect dust extraction use a vortex dust collector, fit a baffle to the dust extract on the inside of the cabinet. Fit better seal to the door. Investigate different media, and mixes of media, glass and soda, steel shot.

That was my thinking Signal! I’ve been looking over the offerings from Sealey, something like this? https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637198008/shot-blasting-cabinet

O
r perhaps a used item off eBay/marketplace?

Thanks for the solid advice! I’m excited to experiment and learn a new skill.

Daniel.

The compressor you're looking at is more than enough, maybe even a little overkill, but as mentioned, bigger is always better. I only have about a 20 to 25 gal. model (76 to 95 liters) in my shop. It's adequate to work my blaster but it does run a lot.

My cabinet is a little smaller than what you're looking at, what they call a bench top model. It is pretty big to sit on a work bench though. I built an angle iron frame w/ wheels to place it on. I drag it outside to use because as mentioned, even though they're "sealed" they still produce a lot of dust .....

NmY7mcB.jpg

ZkS7Y0d.jpg

9XBgBhk.jpg

Also as mentioned, you definitely need a water filter or the gun will clog up pretty quickly. And what I discovered is it works best if placed close to the tool. Put it on the compressor and by the time you get through your 25' or 50' of rubber hose, you've got water again. I mounted mine on a bracket and have another bracket on the outside of the shed wall for it to fit into. Then I run one of those coiled 1/4" plastic lines to the blast cabinet. They create very little condensation compared to the big rubber lines .....

e234BYI.jpg

pazBP2B.jpg

That was my thinking Signal! I’ve been looking over the offerings from Sealey, something like this? https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637198008/shot-blasting-cabinet
Or perhaps a used item off eBay/marketplace?
Thanks for the solid advice! I’m excited to experiment and learn a new skill.
Daniel.

Hi Daniel,
no such thing as too many CFM,
at least the UK has 240Volt power where us North Americans are stuck with 110/220 and running extension cords from the house clothes dryer plug,
Used is OK, Compressor design ain't changed much in the last Century. Air drying is best for blasting and just about essential for good painting.
If you are short of space think about a vertical cylinder compressor, a hose storage reel &/or putting the thing on wheels.

with some of the cheap chinese cabinets, if you can check out the gloves for size , some have gloves for the asian market and replacing the gloves isnt cheap , also buy the largest cabinet you can afford .. you wont regret it .. same thing with a sonic cleaner if you can afford one , they work great after soda / sand blasting but is a case of bigger is better and a better bang for your buck

with some of the cheap chinese cabinets, if you can check out the gloves for size , some have gloves for the asian market and replacing the gloves isnt cheap , also buy the largest cabinet you can afford .. you wont regret it .. same thing with a sonic cleaner if you can afford one , they work great after soda / sand blasting but is a case of bigger is better and a better bang for your buck

A sonic cleaner is definitely on my shopping list, I’m going to be tight on space in my new little shed!

That’s what I’ve read and why I’m drawn to the compressor I posted, it seems to be as large/powerful as you can go before you have to step up to 3 phase.

Daniel.
Looks like a nice compressor. I went with a vertical tank to save room.

With a compressor that big I’d build a storage box for it on the side of the shed/shop. Gonna get loud in there when it has to fill up.

Lots of good advice posted.

With a compressor that big I’d build a storage box for it on the side of the shed/shop. Gonna get loud in there when it has to fill up.

Hi Wide,
noise level is more dependent on a compressor's design than it's capacity.
My "old fashioned" belt driven low speed compressor just goes chug chug chug despite it's 16cfm capacity.
The modern direct-connected compressor's BRAAAAAP is best located out of earshot.

Back