Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

So... was out runnin' errands today and I kept hearing a rattle coming from behind me. Pulled into a parking lot soon as I could. The long and short of it is the baffles in the left muffler have broke loose. It's not the entire baffle tube because the sound is unchanged. It's damned irritating though... even at 50mph with a helmet on I can hear it.... grrr.... These are the EMGO commando's I picked up at Amazon for like.... 50-60 bucks apiece two yrs ago. Sometimes bein' a cheap SOB ain't so cheap. :rolleyes:...:cautious:
Anyway... what do we like for muffies nowadays? I like the early Commando style peashooters, but all I see out there is 1-3/8" openings. I've got the Mikes 1-1/2" headers, so....
Suggestions?
That happened on my 400/4. Luckily the back plate is painted black, I drilled an access hole in the plate removed the offending loose baffle tubes then welded the holes back up. I suppose it’s poor quality manufacture, only lasted 30yrs.
Of course you cannot do that with an all chrome silencer.

So... was out runnin' errands today and I kept hearing a rattle coming from behind me. Pulled into a parking lot soon as I could. The long and short of it is the baffles in the left muffler have broke loose. It's not the entire baffle tube because the sound is unchanged. It's damned irritating though... even at 50mph with a helmet on I can hear it.... grrr.... These are the EMGO commando's I picked up at Amazon for like.... 50-60 bucks apiece two yrs ago. Sometimes bein' a cheap SOB ain't so cheap. :rolleyes:...:cautious:
Anyway... what do we like for muffies nowadays? I like the early Commando style peashooters, but all I see out there is 1-3/8" openings. I've got the Mikes 1-1/2" headers, so....
Suggestions?

Hi Jim.
adapt them using the 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" adapters you can buy at the muffler store.

Well heck... I hate wastin' money. Had another petcock I'd disassembled and cleaned up. Used Mikes kit and a Viton o-ring.... and now I have a spare. :smoke:

View attachment 140060
Is the plastic fuel strainer press fit into the base of the petcock? I found one swimming in the bottom of my tank today. Difference between the strainers on the petcocks above?

I think it's just a press fit. I used a little smear of J B Weld when I pressed mine in.... which I might live to regret.
I'm thinking I might have it in backwards... which means I have no reserve. Dunno yet. I've got the tank off right now for the spring lube and annual insp.
I plan on draining the tank while it's off and see if it stops at reserve or goes completely empty.
If it drains it, I guess I'll find out how hard it is to remove a screen that's been J B Welded into place. :doh:

Last edited:
Are the long and short strainers from the same tank or are they different vintages?
Far as I know, it's just different model years... but I really don't know the answer.

Do the manual petcocks swap in directly in place of the vacuum units?
Some will. Iirc, there's 2 different lengths on the base.
Fwiw, the vacuum petcock has worked just fine for over 3 yrs now.
I was hesitant using it at first, but I do like the convenience of not having to shut the gas off.

Back