new guy wants to start it up

roadstar06

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I just picked up a motor yesterday and dont know if it will run or not??? what do I need to start this on my work bench? I figured I'd ask if this is possible before I tear it apart for no reason..Guy I got it from bought it off a guy as a spare and he dont know anything about it except that the guy told him he did the valves.what should I be looking for? This is my first build so I need as much info as you feel like typing..Thanks

What year is the engine? You just need carbs, pipes, either points or Tci box and battery.

ok, I got carbs,I can rig a fuel cell, no pipes to b had yet..and I need to get a kickstart lever. motor is a 78-79?? not sure yet I need to look up vin on motor it's a F series

Then you have a starter. Jump with a car battery out of the car, and do a compression check. If over 120, and or within 10 points betwwen the two cylinders, it should run. Then search on this forum for simplified wireing diagram. And bolt that 160 lbs motor down.

There are two points covers directly above each spark plug. Remove those covers and see what's in there. If it's an 80 or up there will be nothing. 79 and below there will be points. Do a search on here on how to set points and wire them up.

cool thanks guys, gonna get at it tomorrow! yes it has points. which other wire do I need to put on battery for starter? I know ground, but theres like 6 other wires in a harness and i think 2 more toward front of motor???

If I'm understanding your referring to the wires coming from the stator (alternator). You won't need those to run it for now.

Never really told us what you have...........Do you have a frame?...........do you have a wiring loom or part of...............The more info you give out, (without having to squeeze for blood), the better our answers can be.............Saves a lot of time and pointless answers or links.

Sometimes/always an intro tells us about you and your situation.

Hi guys, so I just picked up a motor yesterday and dont know if it will run or not??? what do I need to start this on my work bench? I figured I'd ask if this is possible before I tear it apart for no reason..Guy I got it from bought it off a guy as a spare and he dont know anything about it except that the guy told him he did the valves.what should I be looking for? This is my first build so I need as much info as you feel like typing..Thanks

Hi roadstar,
be warned!
The XS650 engine is also an industrial strength paint-shaker, you will need a really sturdy engine stand to run it out of the frame.
What you can do "on the bench" is pull the plugs, remove the carbs and do a compression test by hooking a car battery up to the engine's starter motor and spinning the engine through about 10 turns.
If you see ~150psi +/- 10% on each cylinder you are golden.
Anything above 100psi and she'll run good enough for a proof ride.

Hi roadstar,
be warned!
The XS650 engine is also an industrial strength paint-shaker, you will need a really sturdy engine stand to run it out of the frame.
What you can do "on the bench" is pull the plugs, remove the carbs and do a compression test by hooking a car battery up to the engine's starter motor and spinning the engine through about 10 turns.
If you see ~150psi +/- 10% on each cylinder you are golden.
Anything above 100psi and she'll run good enough for a proof ride.
Thanks that's the answer i was looking for.. now, I only have (1) wire coming from starter is it the hot wire or ground?looking at chilton book it appears to be the hot wire.

ok thamks, new problem -maybe not, but instead of battery will a battery charger on 50 amp start work?just tried and got nothing both starter on motor and starter removed from motor....smh!....wire at starter connection is rusty crusty no doubt it will snap off if I try to muscle it off any suggestions? i'm gonna soak it w/ pb and see if if does anything.

I don't think your battery charger will work (but perhaps if it can provide 12v's) you could also just use your car's battery (not running).

I assume you grounded the starter when testing, right? (Anywhere on the bike's frame will work...an engine mounting bolt is ideal). But now that you have the starter off the bike, then bypass the starter's cable and connect the positive lead to the bolt post on the body, and ground the starter (the mounting holes are ideal)...see if it will spin.

If that bolt is crusted up, a wire brush with some hard scrubbing should get you to bare metal.

ok thamks, new problem -maybe not, but instead of battery will a battery charger on 50 amp start work?just tried and got nothing both starter on motor and starter removed from motor....smh!....wire at starter connection is rusty crusty no doubt it will snap off if I try to muscle it off any suggestions? i'm gonna soak it w/ pb and see if if does anything.

Hi roadstar,
take a look at how fat the starter cable is.
It's as fat as a welding machine cable because the starter draws way more than 50 Amps.
OK then.
The starter is off the bike, right?
Grip the starter around it's body in your bench vise.
(Do not use non-metallic soft jaws, you need metal to metal contact between the vise and the starter body)
File the end of the bolt where the cable attaches so it's bright and shiny.
(Connecting to the bolt head bypasses the suspect cable & cable joint)
Use your car's battery and jumper cables.
Jumper's black (negative) clamps between the battery negative terminal and the vise body.
Jumper's red (positive) clamp on the battery positive terminal.
Just tap the jumper's other red clamp onto the shiny bolt head.
If the starter goes WHIZZZ it's OK.
If it don't, it ain't.

Never really told us what you have...........Do you have a frame?...........do you have a wiring loom or part of...............The more info you give out, (without having to squeeze for blood), the better our answers can be.............Saves a lot of time and pointless answers or links.

Sometimes/always an intro tells us about you and your situation.

Only have motor at this time ordered a frame hardtail no wire loom only a Chilton book to go by

Hi roadstar,
take a look at how fat the starter cable is.
It's as fat as a welding machine cable because the starter draws way more than 50 Amps.
OK then.
The starter is off the bike, right?
Grip the starter around it's body in your bench vise.
(Do not use non-metallic soft jaws, you need metal to metal contact between the vise and the starter body)
File the end of the bolt where the cable attaches so it's bright and shiny.
(Connecting to the bolt head bypasses the suspect cable & cable joint)
Use your car's battery and jumper cables.
Jumper's black (negative) clamps between the battery negative terminal and the vise body.
Jumper's red (positive) clamp on the battery positive terminal.
Just tap the jumper's other red clamp onto the shiny bolt head.
If the starter goes WHIZZZ it's OK.
If it don't, it ain't.

Thanks bro i'll give that a shot!:thumbsup:

Ok, took my battery out of car hooked up to bike starter and motor turns....Q:? how fast should the valves be openi ng and closing? mine seemed to be slow, also there is a definate clicking noise from left side of motor... not inbetween gears cause front sprocket didn't move, thinking starter shaft gear teeth not catching completely?? any feedback would be great! noise was alot faster than valves were moving.

update, so I never got to do compression test and having no patience I tore the motor down ! found a gear with broken tooth (small gear on right side held in by a flat clip) so I got a new one.. will be diving in a little deeper this weekend and start cleaning cases. not sure if I want to keep starter after I start to rebuild because I dont want to run a battery. any common issues I should look for while I have this thing apart??? Please let me know, thanks

Dont lose the fiber oil galley block off between the cases on the left side above the clutch rod

Dont lose the fiber oil galley block off between the cases on the left side above the clutch rod

your kidding me right? I saw that fiber, it was a very miniscule pc. didn't think it belonged to a motor so I trashed it. also I didn't see any mention of it in the chilton book I have . what now?:yikes:

Back