New to me XS 650...

Usual first step is to replace just the springs, it's cheap. If that doesn't do it, then you can move on to the more expensive solutions (new plates). Springs can be had for less than $20, plates could be 4 to 5 times that.
It occurs to me that I might have taken "to much" slack out of the clutch cable to get a stand still neutral find. I will report back when I have had the chance to replicate that roll-on performance 10 or 25 times. ;)

The clutch definitely let's go when I am hard on the throttle at 5-5200 rpm. Is my problem related to oil? Did I screw up on the oil?
1650563816539698663955838471075.jpg

Last edited:
Usual first step is to replace just the springs, it's cheap. If that doesn't do it, then you can move on to the more expensive solutions (new plates). Springs can be had for less than $20, plates could be 4 to 5 times that.
The question becomes, "are all springs the same?". Is there a best source with higher quality or stiffer springs? I perused the few XS parts sites and do not remember any saying hi-performance.

All springs are not the same.
Meaure your old ones - the free length will be in the manual. Likely they've lost some strength / length.
Fitting six heavy-duty ones will likely be overkill, perhaps all it needs is six factory fresh standard ones, or a mix of three std and three HD.

If you are REAL careful, the factory glued the gasket to the cover AND used a spot of sealant on the motor side where the crankcase halves join front and back. That should tell you where to carefully work a putty knife in.

If you are REAL careful, the factory glued the gasket to the cover AND used a spot of sealant on the motor side where the crankcase halves join front and back. That should tell you where to carefully work a putty knife in.
Thanks. Hate to miss Ozarks because of a hurried move. I do suspect this has been apart and reassembled for the BBK in the last 1200 miles. Torque the fasteners in a cross pattern to 5 , then 7.5 lb/ft.? (8mm) Clutch springs to 12 then 15 lb/ft (10mm)?

Thanks. Hate to miss Ozarks because of a hurried move. I do suspect this has been apart and reassembled for the BBK in the last 1200 miles. Torque the fasteners in a cross pattern to 5 , then 7.5 lb/ft.? (8mm) Clutch springs to 12 then 15 lb/ft (10mm)?
If you tear the gasket when removing the side case, you can temporarily “patch” it up with some sealant. It may be a bear to remove when you get the proper replacement gasket but it may save your trip.

Back