New to me XS 650...

Yes, most of the 650 carb sets are good with one or two up on the mains for pods and pipes but your set is different. It usually requires a bit more because it's stock main jet size was so small (122.5). All the other sets came with between a 127.5 and 135 stock.

Dropping the needle occurred to me. Most of my riding is in that region where the needle jet is doing the fuel ďelivery. I am lazy and thought going 127.5s was an option too.😎 I will take another long ride when it is warmer and can listen, feel, think without shivering my stones.
I found with my ‘76 that temperature had a significant effect on the way it runs. Cooler temps = best running. I used the UNI oil for my filters and think I’ll wash that goop out and go to regular oil /gas mix to oil the foam. The UNI oil is way too thick and messy.

Yes, when we first got into using the UNIs, it was reported by mrriggs, a respected contributor way back then, that the special UNI oil was too thick and clogged the filters. There were also instructions online from the Australian UNI distributor that said the same thing. They recommended using a 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil. That's all I've ever used and I've had good results. I bought a bottle of the cheap Walmart straight 30 weight specifically for this. I just "paint" it on and let the excess drain off for 10 or 15 minutes .....

UNIsOiled.jpg

This may be bad for me 😩. When I installed my UNI pods I used UNI filter oil. I did squeeze and drain them well but now I‘m concerned that once I clean and oil them with motor oil, it will adversely affect the bikes performance. Oh well, only one way to find out. I’ll report later once cleaned and tested. If the UNI oil isn’t appropriate for use on the street, they should market it accordingly 🤬.

This may be bad for me 😩. When I installed my UNI pods I used UNI filter oil. I did squeeze and drain them well but now I‘m concerned that once I clean and oil them with motor oil, it will adversely affect the bikes performance. Oh well, only one way to find out. I’ll report later once cleaned and tested. If the UNI oil isn’t appropriate for use on the street, they should market it accordingly 🤬.

Yeah I bought Uni filter oil to use on my XS2 and I wasn’t crazy about it. It is so thick and sticky, I don’t recall the bottle saying anything on it about diluting it with gasoline, that might’ve made it better. I now just use regular motor oil, work it in and squeeze out the excess into paper towels.
4D01FC98-9889-4110-92FB-646E6A8CE0BA.jpeg

I have found with any foam filter, mixing a bit of oil with petrol and soaking the filters and then squeezing out the excess will, (clean the filters), leave enough oil in the filter to help with the filtration without affecting the air flow. The perol fumes help to start the engine initially, if starting up straight after a filter clean.

You asked a question and i gave an informed answer..........I see you deleted the original question so i deleted my answer as it seems it wasn't apreciated
If I deleted a question, it was only because I thought I double posted. Every response I get is thoroughly appreciated. The input I have received has been phenomenal and I thank each and everyone who has offered insight, advice and guidance.

I did a jetting check ride today. Into town, south along the lake. Stopped at one of the beach parks. Just up the shore from there is a "Kite Board" mecca that will have 20 to 40 kiteboarders 2 or 3 times a week. From there I went down some county roads to the local Cycle dealer. From there back home on county roads. Plugs are now medium brown. I went to the dealer to arrange new tires. Checking air the other day I noticed sidewall cracking and the tires are 15 years old. I am tending toward Dunlop 404s. Anybody have bad experience with them?
20220412_121530.jpg
16497888332781205830219892221256.jpg

I do not have a centerstand. The Dunlops are pricer than Shinko, IRC etc but that difference shrinks when the shop does the work. I just assembled the exhaust and would have to remove it for me the jack up the bike. I will let the shop deal with it.

The better jetting revieled a new problem. I ran hard 4000 to 5200, maybe 5500rpm and holy shit , with close jetting this motor pull like a monster, I was holding on hard. Snicked an up shift and ... clutch slip... oh shit. The clutch holds on the power but I am guessing it is near it;s limit and doesn't want to hold under max stress when released. New winter project 6 months in the future.

Back