no start!!! HELP!!!!

BartBuddy28

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals!!!! Ive bwen on here the last couple days asking for help, and here i am again...To be honest, its gonna take to long to type so if someone could call me on my phone, regardles of your location., that'd be grear..just message me on here or at boofoo_17@yahoo.com....it would be easier to explain on the phone instead of typing it all out....cuz my prob is a bit complicated..thanx soo much!!!

Welllll i have spent an insanely large amount of money on my 81 to fix a charging problem, finally think i have that handled, well i thought, i installed a fourth alt. rotor (mikesxs) but somehow it wasnt on fully andit chewed up the black box at 12o clock on my stator housing and also melted plastic on the black thing and left some melted plastic on my rotor...cleaned that all up by sanding with fine fine sandpaper to a new shiny luster...i also did the same to the black thing, i believe thay controls my spark.... Put everythong back together and now the bike wont run...it cranks, not no fire..i believe that black thing is the culprit cuz it didnt look so good before i cleaned it..i dont kno the name of that black box thing or where to get one and im not about to drop 200 dollars for the third time on another stator( i forgot to mention ive replaced that twice now) just to get that one piece..sorry if ur lost cuz like i said my problem is just to complicated to type out and im sure i left info out....im not looking for someone to chit chat with over the phone, just someone who knows what theyre talking about and would be able to tell me whst that part is and where to get one

That sounds like the pick-up coils for the TCI (transistor ignition black box that lives under the battery box).

You can post in the classified section, asking for a TCI pick-up coil. Should not be hard to buy a used one. 2 coils inside (3 wires)..............each one should measure around 700 ohms.

Attachments

• 1980 to 83 Alternator.jpg
    1980 to 83 Alternator.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 102
Heres a really dumb question...im new to this forum and dont know my way around..where is the classifieds list? And how to i ask for one.....ibe been without my bike for five months now chasing problems and im starting to think i will never be able to ride again because parts are just too hard to find and ridiculously expensive....i bought my xs for 1k, and have spent pretty close to an additional 3k just in parts for this thing and im very angry and frustrated...and your think its the black thing on the stator housing thays the problem or the black box under the battery? Like i said im confused as all hell, and im tired of throwing parts at this thing...im limted on funds now cuz of this damn bike, so i dont wanna spend another small fortune on this thing.....and sorry for the muliple posts, this site is very hard to use / understand

Last edited:
Heres a really dumb question...im new to this forum and dont know my way around..where is the classifieds list? And how to i ask for one.....ibe been without my bike for five months now chasing problems and im starting to think i will never be able to ride again because parts are just too hard to find and ridiculously expensive....i bought my xs for 1k, and have spent pretty close to an additional 3k just in parts for this thing and im very angry and frustrated

Click on "Forum"...................go down the page and click on "Classified". There is a post about how to use the classified.

Yes, many lads think they can buy an old bike for $500 to $1000 dollars, and then just start riding it. The fact of the matter is that most of these bikes have been abused, tortured and received very little proper maintenance. Its only because they were engineered and built so well, that they have survived this long. I'd say its typical to spent another $3000 or $4000 in order to bring a bike back from years of neglect.

Well normally i would agree with you on that, since im a car mechanic, i know cars very well.....but this larticular bike was very well maintained and had only 4k miles on it when i bought it last summer..now has 6k on it....i got a screaming deal..previous owner had onlt sold it cuz he bought a diff bike....i only had to buy a new alt rotor last year and ran trouble free all summer long... And during the winter i stored in my ckimate controlled garge with battery completly out of the bike and on and off my trickle charger....im still confused as to which part i need, im mechanically inclined, just cast figure out electrical, been trying to for over 15 years

Last edited:
Buy volt-ohm meter and read the charging system guide. Pretty simple to read a number on the meter to see if the piece in question is in spec. What if you just threw another rotor on and all it needed was a rectifier or brushes.?

Back