• Fairing

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No fairing

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Sonnylynnvick75

XS650 Young Gun
Reaction score
I was fitting up my old emgo fairing from the 80s onto my xs cafe project when I thought. I bet this fairing has been debated for as long as fairings have been available. Some love them others despise them. So I thought why not take a vote. My mind is pretty much set up on running the fairing but occasionally running it without. What do y'all prefer?

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

I don't even prefer the windshield on my Road Star, but when it gets cold, it sure helps with cold-soaking. I take it off in April and put it back on in November. I have one of those fairings in the tool box on my truck right now and thought about sticking it on the XS, but don't think I will. Paint it to match and run it. Looks cool on a standard.

If you go the fairing route I'd suggest move both the fairing and the headlight further frontward.

Your bike reminds me of the badass XS650 Anbu built:

s-an-bu-xs650-balle-fullcowl-8.jpg

I like the fairing and I think it looks good in black. Ok, totally different question---did you have to do a lot of rejetting with those shorty mufflers and how loud are they?

BLKnoel thanks for the kind words. I'm considering it but for now I'm good with it. I eventually want a full fairing similar to that.

Spanky thanks man, I thought I'd hate it too but after I put it on I decided to change my mind

Jsmith, loaded question, stock carbs with those didn't take much change I can find the jetting I had if you need it. They're pretty loud. If you have a 3/4 helmet they sound great thought. The good side is that you can always take out the cores and wrap them in exhaust packing to quieten them down. If you notice Now I'm running dual mikuni TM flat slide carbs which are a whole new monster.

How hard would it be to make 'quick-release' mounting brackets for it?

The bike looks great both ways! If you could fabricate some quick and easy to remove brackets, you wouldn't have to choose between looks, because you could pop the fairing on and off in a minute.

Does anyone have experience with the Emgo Viper on an xs650?? Does it offer any wind protection on the freeway or any rain protection? Or is it all looks...?

Go ahead, paint it yellow. Then those ugly mounting bolt heads sticking through the sides will show even more, lol. I am a very big fan of quality quarter fairings like the one on the BMW R90S. You'd have to pay me alot to run an EMGO (and buy me a smoked shield so people couldn't see my face). Guess I'm spoiled having owned and ridden behind the real deal for 20 plus years. The quick-detach Heinrich lowers are a sweet and rare addition as well. Yes, the good stuff does spoil you .....

MySlash6.jpg

I like those fairings but I think either some yellow on the three black pieces or some black on the yellow pieces would help tie it all together.

Back