Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

If you jumpered green to ground, you bypassed the regulator.... makes the rotor work overtime. Don't run for extended periods like that, you'll likely fry something.... like the rotor.
I didn’t run it like that for any longer than 10-15 seconds to see voltage on my battery

Alrighty y’all. Swapped the polarity and it still wouldn’t idle. Tinkered with the idle screw a bunch and after a while I somehow got it to idle. It’s running real rough, not running up rpm’s smoothly and spewing black smoke out the exhaust while backfiring. I took advantage of it finally idling and grabbed my timing light and got a of the timing at idle. I had trouble recording the light while revving, the lines moved counterclockwise as I revved for the most part. At about 1.5-1.7k rpm’s it seemed to move clockwise for a second before moving counter clockwise
video

Last edited:
Neither video shows the timing light.
Just so you know, you can put those videos in your comments.
Click share on the vid, copy the link and paste it into the box that pops up here.

Untitled.png

Alrighty y’all. Swapped the polarity and it still wouldn’t idle. Tinkered with the idle screw a bunch and after a while I somehow got it to idle. It’s running real rough, not running up rpm’s smoothly and spewing black smoke out the exhaust while backfiring. Here’s a video of it idling and trying to run. I took advantage of it finally idling and grabbed my timing light and got this video of the timing at idle. I had trouble recording the light while revving, the lines moved counterclockwise as I revved for the most part. At about 1.5-1.7k rpm’s it seemed to move clockwise for a second before moving counter clockwise

Yes Sir now we are getting somewhere I cant se the timing either
But here it comes a 5 th time
My first assumption is ---> You dont appear to be charging ..we have the neutral light being dim ..not changing .. intensity .. when trying to rev
The bike Idles more or less OK .but since you dont have a solid power in and ground
When you throttle up the mixture gets richer and the tiny weak spark cant do it and it splutters and smokes.

Hook up a Voltmeter across the battery and report what you get when running

Yes Sir now we are getting somewhere I cant se the timing either
But here it comes a 5 th time
My first assumption is ---> You dont appear to be charging ..we have the neutral light being dim ..not changing .. intensity .. when trying to rev
The bike Idles more or less OK .but since you dont have a solid power in and ground
When you throttle up the mixture gets richer and the tiny weak spark cant do it and it splutters and smokes.

Hook up a Voltmeter across the battery and report what you get when running
Gotcha! I also edited the post to include the ignition timing

I hate to say it buba... but there's a distinct possibility you have a bad gonzo box there.
Try disconnecting the Reg/rec connector and give us another vid.
It's unlikely, but the charging system might be affecting it. Disconnecting the reg/rec will answer that.

Untitled.png

This is a test stand run, so disregard all the extra bits you see... but this shows where it should fire at idle....

So when running, my battery sits at 12.8-12.9 and gets no change when revving with the reg connected. The same happens without it connected and I’m not sure what that indicates. I tried running the timing light without the regulator, but the light was sporadic and not working very well. Could that be because of weak spark?

So when running, my battery sits at 12.8-12.9 and gets no change when revving with the reg connected
What you see is probably battery Voltage the energy stored---I again don't believe it is charging
I am not 100 % certain since it is high enough. But can be so after recharged
And the TCI Circuit can ground or something else.

6 th time
And the 4 th TCI

I am not saying I am right or saying that you should follow my advice
But think about it how many times do you change the light bulb at home before you try something else

If the voltmeter sits at the same voltage regardless of rpm In my book something is wrong there .

Not read through But I would focus on the charging first and foremost the rotor resistance
I have not seen the video with ignition.

But again I am not certain it can be many things I just don't believe it is the TCI just yet.
When ( If ) there is no charging

Last edited:
Okay yall. I think Jan might be onto something, but Im at a loss. I borrowed a good stock TCI from a local shop and the it still seems to be firing retarded. My light is not giving my consistent flashes so that might play into my difficulty reading the timing. However, my battery is now getting a charge with the reg in. it gets up to 13.7 @ about 2.7k rpms. However, it is only intermittenly idling. It get warmed up, idle fine for about 5-10 minutes then die and doesnt want to restart. When it does, I have to give it constant gas and its giving black smoke out the exhaust.

OK taking this out of memory please check the wiring and others can chime in
Charging enters the loom Downstream of the rectifier and downstream from the Main Fuse

This perhaps is not the right year model ... Charging means that there is 14 V or so at the Brown ( I believe )
from rectifier but that also goes to the left in that upper picture
To the main switch

1660319433855.png

1660319602659.png

That was Pointed out by Mr Grizid what to do.
He is not always Patient nor a Candidate for the Diplomatic corps .. But he Knows about Motorcycles and
Carburetors .. Him and Mr 5T are above us other Mortals .. it can be good rule to listen to them
with a Yes Sir....

If I recall right you don't have lights
There was Mention of a soft Ignition lock
One ignition lock that Mr JP Devol perhaps can supply

If you don't want to jump power to the ignition

I Know what Mr Grizid has for Opinion on that ..jumping I have my helmet on ... But now Just temporarily ..for fault finding here now.

I am still at providing power and ground on Ignition coil and Box

All of this is correct. I do not have headlights, I swapped my ignition switch and all is well and havent had any issues with power getting to it since. So with the bike running, I should follow the br wire to the switch and probe it for 14v? Jumping the coil and the box sounds like a good idea to me... should i run it through an inline fuse?

Last edited:
The brown wire from switch to fuse box is spliced with the regulator brown and brush brown; all those points should have = voltage. Worth checking. Charging should be 14+ @ 2000rpm.

Ya'll proceed while Jan is here. I'm gonna look for pics of your rotor w/magnet

My giggle was comments regarding Mr Russel by Jan.

Anyways found no good pic of your rotor (I have a theory about dirty, etc) pic please when ya can

Back