What have you done to your XS today?

What's a good brand/ type of timing light i should look for.

This is the self-powered (2 D Cells) Sun Strobe timing light I bought in the '70's to time the hot-rodded VW aircooled engines I built. Its been with me ever since. So easy to use: just clip on the spark plug lead and press the button. No longer made by Sun, but you'll find 3 companies selling something similar today. $40 - $70.

Look closely and you'll see marks made by many a spinning pulley when the light fell in the engine bay. :D

Sun.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

An old Sun T-light would would be great if you could find one. Other than that.... dunno. Ain't bought one in 40yrs.
The timing light is only six months old which I bought because I couldn't get the old one to light when the revs are raised. Maybe I need to try it on my wifes bike when she's not home.

Fitted a new back tyre. Went for Avon RoadRider Mk II again. 130/90VR16.

The one being replaced has done 4975 miles and while not quite worn out, it has certainly given of its best. Could feel the usual symptoms so wanted a new one with Spring just around the corner. We hope.

Actually, I didn't fit the tyre. As usual, used the village tyre people so all I had to do was take the wheel out, carry it five minutes down the road and then fetch it back later. They charged me £136 for tyre fitted to a loose wheel - works out at 2.75 pence per mile. That's more than I would pay on-line for the tyre but there's still paying somebody to fit it. Plus it's so convenient having a tyre fitter business in the village that I like to support them.

Next time, might go for a slightly narrower section coz there's only a fag paper clearance between tyre and swing-arm. Or think about a different brand.

I had been building up my clutch hand with reps of thirty(I am at one rep so far) on the grip exerciser. I have perused the Tech Section on "clutch, stiff clutch, heavy clutch " etc. I saw a couple of "Garage" threads where a heavy clutch was mentioned so I went to the ""Tech" section. So, I disconnected the cable from the (New) clutch lever in order to lube it. Here I noticed at least one cable strand unlaid.unpaid. I would guess I need to order new cable. Is "Motionpro" the preferred supplier?

Attachments

• 16456479365644587695332582869304.jpg
    16456479365644587695332582869304.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1645648185147420851340091070964.jpg
    1645648185147420851340091070964.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 45
Yes, the MotionPro clutch cable is the preferred manufacturer (most folks report being pleased with it).
It has an inner plastic sleeve, which along with an improved angle on the aluminum entry point into the case give you optimal pull.
I have one on each of my four XS650s. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Last job one of the projects was trying to crosslink silicone to the polyethelene and fire retardant bromine and antimony mix for wiring. The silicone, as a lubricant, makes it easier to pull wires through conduit. The cross link was never achieved but silicone still goes in the mix. I don't wonder if control cable makers spec a silicone content in the sleaves.

The Motion Pro clutch cable is ordered(eBay or amazon?), $15.36 with shipping! Somehow I am skeptical at a 1 week delivery when the Motion Pro website says "out of stock". Anyway, that cover I was going to leave alone will have to come off. Maybe some bench polishing in the "hard to get to places". :)
16456696276065095388623868851271.jpg

The Motion Pro clutch cable is ordered(eBay or amazon?), $15.36 with shipping! Somehow I am skeptical at a 1 week delivery when the Motion Pro website says "out of stock". Anyway, that cover I was going to leave alone will have to come off. Maybe some bench polishing in the "hard to get to places". :)View attachment 208340
Nice !

Already an opinion on the improvement done by the motion pro clutch cable ?

softer ?

I think my feedback is of little value because this is my first bike in 20-25 years.:D Many other contributors here with many recent bikes and experience have shared their experience and endorsing the Motion Pro clutch cable as a very good replacement. Thanks

Yes, the Motion Pro clutch cable is about the best replacement available, reasonably priced and very well made. But, like with any new cable, you must oil it before installing it. It has very little lube on it from the manufacturer. I made up a small aluminum angle with slots cut in it to hang my cables from for oiling. I clamp it to a wall stud or shelf .....

SimpleOne2.jpg

SimpleOne.jpg

Then I dribble a few drops of oil in the top .....

OilApplied.jpg

..... giving it a few minutes for gravity to do it's thing, repeat, repeat, repeat, and eventually, like in about 15 minutes or so, the oil is dripping out the bottom .....

Done.jpg

Yes, the Motion Pro clutch cable is about the best replacement available, reasonably priced and very well made. But, like with any new cable, you must oil it before installing it. It has very little lube on it from the manufacturer. I made up a small aluminum angle with slots cut in it to hang my cables from for oiling. I clamp it to a wall stud or shelf .....

View attachment 208393

View attachment 208394

Then I dribble a few drops of oil in the top .....

View attachment 208395

..... giving it a few minutes for gravity to do it's thing, repeat, repeat, repeat, and eventually, like in about 15 minutes or so, the oil is dripping out the bottom .....

View attachment 208396
Is there any reason why I shouldn’t use the 80w140 gear oil I have on hand?

The Motion Pro clutch cable is ordered(eBay or amazon?), $15.36 with shipping! Somehow I am skeptical at a 1 week delivery when the Motion Pro website says "out of stock". Anyway, that cover I was going to leave alone will have to come off. Maybe some bench polishing in the "hard to get to places". :)View attachment 208340
I had a look on Amazon for the motion-pro cable and couldn't find one for the xs650. Anyone know the item/ part number?.

20220222_173915.jpg
. Bought this Innova digital timing light and it works well, easy to use with the inbuilt tachometer and advance degree readout and it works on either cylinder not like the other two i have. Just need the wife to sit on the bike with the brakes applied to stop the bike moving around the garage while I hold the revs up. Got to remember to have the ignition off before connecting the timing light or it could cause it damage.

Back