XS 650 Projects

jkjump04

jkjump04
Reaction score
My father-in-law got some old motorcyles for my husband, to ride to work, etc.

One is a 1980 Yamaha XS650, this bike needed a new stator but was in running condition when his dad got it.
The other is a 1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim, this bike needed work done to the carborators, but was also in running condition when his dad got it. This bike was given to him from a friend to use for parts as the title was lost.

He has had them for a few years and they have been in "storage" (exposed to elements). We finally had them picked up from the farm this Friday, and they both need a prayer and quite a bit of work to be in running order.Here is a list of known problems for each bike after "quick" inspection.

XJ650 Maxim:
No title - even if this runs I can not use it unless they can solve this problem
No Keys
Battery
Carberators - these needed work last time it was running
Turn signal relay and turn signal cancellor - appear to be missing
Start solenoid - broken ground wire
Rear Tire sezed

The XJ will be a project bike for restoration if I am able to get a "new" title for it maybe as a rebuild title or something.

XS650:
No Keys
Battery
Air Filters - these appear to have been eaten by mice
Coil pack - broken spark plug connector
Master Break Cylinder - screws stripped off cover
Stator - this was supposed to have been bad when it was running last

The XS is the bike that I need to get in running condition ASAP so my husband can use it to get back and forth to work (one of our vehicles got totaled, so we are down to one car that doesn't fit the whole fam). I plan on making the XS aesthetic later on weekends or this winter when it won't be driven.

I will post updates to repairs as I make them, problems as I discover new ones, and questions when I become stumped.

this weekend, I removed the gas cap (since I dont have the key) on the gas tank so that I could add gas to the system. I replaced an inline filter and part of the fuel line that was bad. I put in a new battery and new spark plugs. Since the plug wire connectors were damaged, I "borrowed" a coil pack from the XJ, until I can order a new one. Since I don't have keys I removed the stock ignition, and put in a 4 post car ignition. I also wired the start solenoid to the ignition, because the start button was bad. I currently have the kill switch wires wired together, because the kill switch is bad. With this set up the starter was running, but it didn't sound like it was causing the motor to turn over. So last night I had to give up not knowing what was going on with the bike and why the engine wouldn't start. Seriously wanted to ram my head into a brick wall. :banghead:

Today I decided to check if I was actually getting power to the coil pack and spark at the plugs. And I was... shocking! Literally! Since the starter was running (obnoxiously if I might add) but did not sound like it was engaging the motor, I decided to try to kick start the beast. It took me about 10 goes with the kick pedal, but I was finally able to get it to roar to life! And it kind of startled me! :yikes:

New problems to work on:
Starter - needs replaced/rebuilt
Carbs - leaking gas, need rebuilt
Brake master cylinder - cap bolts stripped off, going to replace whole unit.
turn signal cancelling relay - missing!
Air Filters - still need these

Questions:
I was told the stator was bad in this bike, but I was able to get it to kick start... what is up with that? Is the stator really bad, or not? I know that that it took a while to get it kick started, what can I do to improve this? I know most of that is probley due to the improper gas to air ratio due to the leaky carbs and no air filters, which I will be fixing... but is there anything else I can do so it kick starts easier?

Thanks, with a lot of work I actually got the bike kick started today. Which is a good sign. I will be continuing to update progress on this thread, and this is the first time for me working on a motorcycle, so please let me know if you have any advice for me.

Check the brushes, the wires that come off it and the large connector snd make sure its clean and the wires are good.

One of the first things to do before doing any repairs to Stator or other electrical components, go completely through the loom from back to front and clean all connectors, couplings, earth connections and dismantle and clean all switches, use an electrical grease on all connections. Makes a hell of a difference.

Before replacing the stator I would check the brushes... it's an XS 650 thing... alternators (of which the stator is a part) usually don't have brushes but the XS650 does... stators do go out but half the time it's just the brushes.

Once you put new brushes in, a simple test is to rev up the bike... watch the headlight at idle and then rev it up... if the light gets brighter then the charging system is working.

Posted via Mobile

jkjump04, Welcome to the site.
If You have a volt meter(if not You can get a cheap one from harbor freight) start the engine connect the volt meter to the battery at aronnd 3000RPMs the voltage should be around 14-14.5 volts if charging system is working right.
The brushes are easy to check. but can be a small challenge to get back in.(that's probably just me)
On the starter there is a gear and a spring that goes bad and the starter wont engage.
also get a manual here
some more good reading here just down load both and keep.
In this video you can see how the brushes are pulled out.

Thanks to everyone for the information on common problems with the stator, and starter. I do computer and game console modifications and repairs as a hobby, so yes I have a multimeter, that also checks voltage. I am waiting on some other parts to come in right now, so now would be a good time to check out the stator and starter. I will have to post an update to let everyone know if there is success.

Wow what a project for someone that will need to commute on it! Your fortitude is commendable but I can't help but think that in mid September your efforts would be better spent on a CAR.....

Read the charging guide in tech. On an 80 shorting the green brush wire and watching the volt meter will help show where the charging issues are. But really do the whole guide. It details TESTING each component so you can find what works and what doesn't. That in general is my best advice. Do a systematic overhaul of each (every) system before sending someone out to commute on it. Without that there will be lots of I broke down at ____ come get me with a truck.
You take an old machine that has lots of issues and start kludging random unrelated parts into it and there is just no chance of it being reliable.

I guess this advice has my age showing. Ah to be young and feckless.

You have links to the carb guide so you can fix the leaky carbs. Follow the steps in the carb guide for cleaning and inspection before buying parts, that way you don't buy parts you can't use. As most rebuild kits are.
On the Charging system, again just follow the steps. Don't buy anything until you test and see what you need.
On the starter the starters it self is seldom the problem. If you hear the starter turning then the problem is with the springs on the gears. The starter is an add on, they were just kick start the first few years. When they added the starter they used the starter with a few gears to turn a cross shaft that turned some more gears to engage the crank.
The kick start uses gears in the transmission to turn the engine through the clutch. No link between the kick and e-start.
When the starter turns all those gears a wishbone shaped spring holds one gear from turning until it slides along a spline and engages the crank. When this spring gets weak it let the gear spin with out engaging the crank.
Once you get the bike tuned up well the bike will take just one or two kicks to start, even when cold.
So good reading and good luck.
Leo

Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like I might have the bike in running shape by early next week, as long as I don't run into any other problems. I am just waiting on some parts now. The commute is very short, we ive in a rural area and the drive is seriously only 12 minutes on a 2 way highway. So no waiting in traffic, etc. and lots of helpful farmers in the area if there are any problems. If we could afford a new vehicle right now we would definately get one. Just need the bike to run for temporary use until we finish the engine/tranny transplant on our truck, waiting on a special bracket for it. Then it wi get parked in the garage and get a complete overhaul over the winter and early spring.

Before picture of 80 XS650 and 81 XJ650

Attachments

• xs650s1.jpg
    xs650s1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 162
Repair and modificaion photos for the XS650 Rebuild!
1. Key start ignition... approximate placement, still needs a proper mount.
2. Carbs... cleaned and rebuilt
3. Pod air filters... out with those old cluncky breather boxes.
4. "Custom" Chrome Ducktape seat... so shiny...
5. Custom XS650 bobber/chopper styled chrome throttle... and new grips.

Attachments

• 80xs650-1.jpg
    80xs650-1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 181
  • 80xs650-2.jpg
    80xs650-2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 80xs650-3.jpg
    80xs650-3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 80xs650-4.jpg
    80xs650-4.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 190
The XS 650 was "up" and running! :bike: As you can see I posted some photos, on some of the things that were done. I also gave the stator a good cleaning. Thanks for your video I am Carbon it was very helpful. It appears to be working just fine, although it will need new brushes soon. I am thinking of just upgrading to the pma system when winter hits, but the jury is still out on that one. Tested the bike on the stand and the transmission shifted through all the gears nicely. My husband was going to drive it September 29th, and the throttle cable was apparently weak and snapped. :( Didn't even get to leave the driveway. :( Had to order a new throttle cable, while I was at it I got some new bobber/chopper style grips.

Hope you didn't throw out the "clunky old air boxes" yet..... Those POS pods are about the single easiest way to make a good xs650 run like wet dog crap. If you have to go aftermarket the foam UNI filters are the ones to use. Sorry but better now, than 3 weeks of pulled hair later.

Back