Anyone else thinking of finding, buying an electric bike?

I am watching the electric segment too. It seems a bit unmature still, the "proper" motorcycles like Zero and (HD) Livewire are too heavy and do not have sufficient range. Offroad playbikes like Cake and the discontinued (?) KTM Freeride electric seem like good clean fun , but are too expensive for a toy.
However, I read something about some japanese manufacturers that are working on a standard for a replacable battery pack. That would make commuting om an electric bike or scooter more appealing for most. Just pull up at the "gas station" and swap battery. Just like the exchange system for propane tanks for the bbq. A scooter/ motorcycle hybrid with 15 or 16 inch wheels with that kind of battery setup should be a useful commuter vehicle IMHO.

The world is going to go that way, very soon. I dug out my manually power mountain bike this year (in mothballs for years) and overhauled it. I turned it from a mountain bike to a commuter/cruiser by changing the seat, handlebars (and stem), and changing the tires to a tread design more suited to paved roads. The result is a bike that's a lot more comfortable for my aging body to ride, with a more upright seating position, less weight on my arms, etc. It makes getting around RV campgrounds quicker and easier. Until the price of an eBike, or eCycle comes down drastically, I'll stick with the pedal power.

Agreed Tebow. I have an ebike about like you describe but still got a bit too much weight on my hands. good for 20-30 miles or so of "assisted" ride time at 10 to 15mph . Looking for something capable of traffic speed travel with 30-40 mile range? Battery powered Honda gyro style trike with some cargo capacity would be sweet.

Not too bad on town roads, city streets but yeah less stability, no throttle out of trouble option. Smaller even less visible than an mc. i have and use lights that seem to help.
I would not dream of it here. Limited sight distance. Drivers are happy to go 70 mph on a country lane with changing elevations. I've traveled all over the world and Memphis drivers are the worst I've seen anywhere and that spills into Mississippi for sure. They go 60 mph in my subdivision with children and pets about.

I’m a little unclear on what you’re looking for. Are you looking for a real electric motorcycle such as a used Zero? Or are you thinking of building your own Frankenbike?

I wrote a few years back about when I was considering buying a Zero. I was commuting to work every day on my motorcycle ( you can do that year round here ) and it was at a time when gas prices had spiked to $4.00 per gallon and we didn’t know if or when it was going to come back down. So I began to think that an electric motorcycle might be a viable option. I started looking at the Zero DS model, it was less expensive than their sportier bikes.
7760E3F4-45AA-43AA-ACE2-32AB22A20EAB.png

It had sufficient range to easily get me the 40 mile round trip to work, plus it had an on board built in charging system and a plug in cord that charged from any wall socket, making it easy to find a place to recharge. Even used ones were pretty expensive and hard to find. In the end I decided against it. I did a lot of research . Even joined an electric motorcycle forum to see what owners said it was like to live with. They were an enthusiastic bunch, but I started to see a running theme. People tend to think of an electric motorcycle as maintenance free and in the traditional sense they are, no service intervals or things to adjust and sailing past a gas station on your way to work is priceless, but the kind of problems they tend to have are deal breakers for me. Electronic failures, there are a lot of circuit boards and electronic parts on these bikes. The problem was compounded ( many owners reported ) by dealerships with mechanics who understood traditional motorcycles but could not trouble shoot sophisticated electronics. Many times they would take their Zero back to the dealer for an issue and it would sit there sometimes for months before they fixed it.
The second realization that I had was that for about half the cost of a used Zero I could pick up a Honda CRL230 that was good for 90+ mpg per gallon , as reported by some motorcycle magazines at the time. And they were dead reliable and something I could fix myself.
0CDAFC32-6744-4BA0-A3DC-553A9789AD46.jpeg

In the end, I bought neither. I kept riding my Suzuki DL650 which was no gas guzzler itself.

Looking for something capable of traffic speed travel with 30-40 mile range? Battery powered Honda gyro style trike with some cargo capacity would be sweet.

I had never heard of a Honda Gyro, I had to look it up. So my dad was a tinkerer right to the end, shortly before he died. He bought a three wheel bicycle and adapted a small air cooled gas engine to it, a Chinese knock off of a small Honda motor. I don’t have a phot of it but the bike was like this one,
B231C639-64B1-4BE8-A5E1-F40FB8A9A6D4.jpeg
When he got it done we took it out for a test run. Man that thing flew! But the downside was if you didn’t slow way down before you tried to turn, it would tip , which caught us off guard. But in a straight line it was probably good for 30-35 mph.

I am watching the electric segment too. It seems a bit unmature still, the "proper" motorcycles like Zero and (HD) Livewire are too heavy and do not have sufficient range. Offroad playbikes like Cake and the discontinued (?) KTM Freeride electric seem like good clean fun , but are too expensive for a toy.
However, I read something about some japanese manufacturers that are working on a standard for a replacable battery pack. That would make commuting om an electric bike or scooter more appealing for most. Just pull up at the "gas station" and swap battery. Just like the exchange system for propane tanks for the bbq. A scooter/ motorcycle hybrid with 15 or 16 inch wheels with that kind of battery setup should be a useful commuter vehicle IMHO.

Untitled.png

From the article... here:

Part of the common specifications agreed upon this time conforms to the technical paper "TP21003" of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JASO) issued on March 19. From now on, the technical verification (standardization) for mutual use of interchangeable batteries based on the common specifications will be promoted.
In addition, the demand for electrification of mobility is increasing around the world in order to realize a carbon-neutral society, and we will work with JAMA to encourage the international use of electric vehicles (international standardization).

In order to ensure that motorcycles continue to be the mobility of choice amid growing environmental awareness around the world, the entire motorcycle industry will continue to study and promote the development of an environment for the widespread use of electric motorcycles as an area of cooperation, with the aim of contributing to the realization of a carbon-neutral society.

Been yammering on about quick change batteries for car n truck use since the age of the locomobile.......
I think Israel tried it more recently, but quickly gave up. A commute with a battery at both ends would allow solar charging of both batteries.

Last edited:
View attachment 201372

From the article... here:

Part of the common specifications agreed upon this time conforms to the technical paper "TP21003" of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JASO) issued on March 19. From now on, the technical verification (standardization) for mutual use of interchangeable batteries based on the common specifications will be promoted.
In addition, the demand for electrification of mobility is increasing around the world in order to realize a carbon-neutral society, and we will work with JAMA to encourage the international use of electric vehicles (international standardization).

In order to ensure that motorcycles continue to be the mobility of choice amid growing environmental awareness around the world, the entire motorcycle industry will continue to study and promote the development of an environment for the widespread use of electric motorcycles as an area of cooperation, with the aim of contributing to the realization of a carbon-neutral society.

That just makes too much sense! Who ever heard of big corporations working together for the common good! :laugh2:

Once worked servicing forklifts. In factory setting... LPG tanks on the back. When tank was low, driver would drive to tank station and swap the tank out. 2-3min max and back in business.
If battery swap could be modeled on that, it might be an idea who's time has come.

i'm all for an e-bike that had a 200ish mile range and swappable batteries. A Tesla motorcycle would be a "shocker". Zoom!

And if their auto lineup is any indication will cost $30k, I'll pass.
Been thinking about fabricating my own, when I get round to it. It's 8 bike projects in front of it.

A friend of mine told me he placed a deposit on a soon to be released new electric motorcycle. He thought the price would come in around $5K usd. For me an electric bike wouldn’t be practical as most of my running around I’d to pick up stuff and there would be limited cargo space on the bike. If I did get into one someday, I’d like to see the range between charges increase.

Back