Homemade and Unique Tools

I found it on line at I believe a horse and tack shop. It was the least expensive I could find. It's probably all the same except for the price. The alcohol is just drug store isopropyl alcohol.

I found it on line at I believe a horse and tack shop. It was the least expensive I could find. It's probably all the same except for the price. The alcohol is just drug store isopropyl alcohol.
Thx. Tractor supply is supposed to carry it but nothing near me has it (Plus I’m in Canada).

Use wintergreen alot, Finally got a larger bottle on Amazon. The rubber part dries rub on some sil-glide seems to stay soft a long time.
careful on things like o-rings cuz they get longer as well as fatter....

Looks like 16 oz in the pic.
Looks like it...

1683656929025.png

If you cannot find isopropyl alcohol then try its other names e.g. isopropanol and rubbing alcohol as in a massage.

Use wintergreen alot, Finally got a larger bottle on Amazon. The rubber part dries rub on some sil-glide seems to stay soft a long time.
careful on things like o-rings cuz they get longer as well as fatter....
....careful on things like o-rings cuz they get longer as well as fatter". I wonder if that may have another use?

....careful on things like o-rings cuz they get longer as well as fatter". I wonder if that may have another use?
Usually unless they are an odd unavailable size, I just replace "O" rings. I mostly use the wintergreen / alcohol mixture for factory hoses that are pre-shaped or have special bends and no longer available and have become petrified over time.

What % alcohol are you fellas using, most store bought isopropanol is either 70% or neh, maybe 95%,

Tool> Tubing notcher (el cheap-o harbor fright). You can notch 2 3/8 sch 80 pipe, very slowly, oiling constantly everything, with it - change metric bolts to metric hard studs, hard washers, hard nuts, locktite (red) adaptor to shaft. remove burrs from shaft. Mind cutting speeds have to be very slow. (use the chart, don't guess...and forget driving it with a hand drill - way too fast> fubar) I use an old camelback gearhead drillpress with flat leather belt...and notch angle iron to weld to rounds with it. Eventually you'll have to re-bush...see adjustable ream set... Best!
did anybody mention> https://www.chopperbuildershandbook.com/
lotta ol'timestuff. Breathe...

What % alcohol are you fellas using, most store bought isopropanol is either 70% or neh, maybe 95%,

Tool> Tubing notcher (el cheap-o harbor fright). You can notch 2 3/8 sch 80 pipe, very slowly, oiling constantly everything, with it - change metric bolts to metric hard studs, hard washers, hard nuts, locktite (red) adaptor to shaft. remove burrs from shaft. Mind cutting speeds have to be very slow. (use the chart, don't guess...and forget driving it with a hand drill - way too fast> fubar) I use an old camelback gearhead drillpress with flat leather belt...and notch angle iron to weld to rounds with it. Eventually you'll have to re-bush...see adjustable ream set... Best!
did anybody mention> https://www.chopperbuildershandbook.com/
lotta ol'timestuff. Breathe...
I've used both the 70% and the 91% alcohol. It didn't seem to make any difference. Both worked good.

I Have Changed my mind on magnetic tip Screwdrivers fex for Carburetor clip position change they work fine

Tried make a T - handle magnetic bit holder Can be done nicer if one put some effort into it
and have a drill press.

2 stumps of pipes the one with bit holder had a rather good fit
Hammered on it on a anvil ( Railway track Piece )

And also on the handle i drilled a tight hole so I made it conical ( Shiny pipe ) at the end with a file hammering it in

Stick welded on a small Transformer weld -- Shoe box Size -- Which was difficult getting starting .
Long time since last time
Picture Post welding and Pre Grinding and Painting.

I did notice that holding on the shiny part and spinning with one finger on the handle end worked good
Not for heavy duty ..but can make a better one if I like it.

IMAG0231.jpg

On my Virago the carb synchronization screw is difficult to get to so a couple of years back I made a special adapter socket. The adaptor is for sync screws which take a slotted screw driver - I think this includes the XS650s with the BS34 carbs but do correct me if wrong:
Socket3.JPG
The socket fits my 1/4" flexible extension.
Socket1.JPG
The business end has a steel pin, filed flat on both sides, to fit the slot on the sync screw. The socket ID is 9mm, the OD is 11.5mm and the pin is located 3mm down from the end in drilled holes and soldered in place.
Socket2.JPG
With the pin set at 3mm this allows the socket to fit over the screw head and automatically hold its position without slipping off.

Back