New here!

I suppose I should mention the notched nuts on the steering neck. They are made to go together a certain way. If you look at them closely, you'll see one side has a bevel around the I.D. and the other doesn't .....

View attachment 238993

They should be assembled with the bevel facing up on the bottom nut, bevel facing down on the top nut, or bevel to bevel. They tighten together more progressively like this. Also, this presents the flat side of the nut down on the bottom bearing to preload the bearings better, and the flat side up on the top nut to better support the top triple tree.
Hahaha, crap. K, I'll check that today....my luck, it'll be on there completely opposite of this🤣....of course I got all excited during assembly and didn't even think of that.

Hey guys, still cruddy outside so went back into the rotor side to slap Jim's rebuild on and install a one piece clutch pushrod/bushing/ and another seal while I was there. interesting though....I noticed the sprocket nut backed off a tad in the 80ish miles I rode after changing that seal??? I originally torqued to 94ft lbs. So that's what I re-torqued to. The bent over tabs did their job in somewhat catching the nut. Just thought it was strange and if you guys have ever ran into that?
PXL_20230331_202412624.jpg

Hey guys, still cruddy outside so went back into the rotor side to slap Jim's rebuild on and install a one piece clutch pushrod/bushing/ and another seal while I was there. interesting though....I noticed the sprocket nut backed off a tad in the 80ish miles I rode after changing that seal??? I originally torqued to 94ft lbs. So that's what I re-torqued to. The bent over tabs did their job in somewhat catching the nut. Just thought it was strange and if you guys have ever ran into that?
View attachment 239391
Is that a new sprocket? Looks like a lot of side wear in 80 miles, how's your wheel alignment?
Loose sprockets happen fersher.

No Gary, that's the original front sprocket. I'm guessing it had a hard life from the p.o., wheel alignment is spot on now. Had a new reg/rec on the shelf, threw that at it too.....bad.....right out of the mikes box😬. Connected old '80 known good one and it charges. Don't worry Jim, not for one second did I suspect your rotor was the problem;)

Finally got a test ride on the 81'. Wow, tapered steering bearings feel great! They were set a tad tight and seem to have settled nicely. Jim's rotor rebuild charged well too! Here's the plug chop results, curious as to your guys thoughts? I've been suspecting weak coil action on the right side for awhile (just judging from colors of exhaust pipes). The right plug is a little more black. For reference, during the carb rebuild I jumped up to 135 mains, 45 pilots, and idle screws are 3.5 turns out, they're syncd up and squeaky clean as well. Seems to run great, however I do suspect a possible vacuum leak as I seem to be chasing the idle adjustment a little bit, the carbs are coming off again soon to do new boots and probably throttle shaft seals as I didn't have those at the time of rebuild.
PXL_20230401_194042217.jpg
PXL_20230401_194211791.jpg

Don't recall if you're still running the factory TCI? If so a Honda MP08 coil is a nice upgrade.... a used one, not the cheap Chinese new ones out there on Ebay.

The TCI uses a single, dual output coil... firing both plugs at the same time. Because of that the spark jumps from the center to ground electrode on one side and opposite.... ground to center, on the other. You can swap the connectors going to the coil... orange (red/white?) and brown. Swapping them will swap sides on spark direction. You can try that to see if the dark color on the plug swaps sides.

Of course, like I said... it's best to get the carbs and boots sorted first.

Last edited:
Pulled the carbs off again, checked floats, changed throttle shaft seals and re-sync'd. Test rode good, forgot the plug chop stuff on the bench🤦.... always next weekend.
PXL_20230402_220929525.jpg

Finally got around to installing a new regulator today. Also, changed tach drive seal and o-ring, with cover in place. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Greased and swapped out tach and speedo cables while I was at it.

Forgot to mention this. While changing oil I noticed some bits of metal in the filter...how worried, if any, should I be?
PXL_20230422_222056169.jpg
PXL_20230422_222208502.jpg

Back