Trans Am Trail Bike Build.

DEMORALIZER

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I am new to xs650's but definitely not new to bikes. My last was a CB750 chopper project I did but felt that it just wasn't practical.
photo41.jpg

I got a good deal on a 1980 xs650 with no title from my neighbor for $200. My neighbor is an elderly lady whos husband past away back in 1981, the bike has sat since in her shed with only 3400 original miles. I went through the dmv process of applying for title and after a month or two I finally received it. This is what I started with.
010-1.jpg

Shortly after getting the title a few close friends of mine approached me about doing the Trans Am Trail late 2014. I bit on the idea. So now by build begins. First step was figuring out how I was going to transform this into a semi-enduro that can handle some light off road action and 3000+ miles in 2-3 weeks. So far I have changed out the old front end for a 2006 yamaha r1 front end and had the trees converted by classified moto. Then I sourced out the front wheel through a local forum. Next was what I was going to do with the rear. I wanted an equally matched rear wheel but didn't want to go through a lot of fabrication due to time constraints and budget. I sourced a radian swing arm and found a cbr250r rear wheel. I will have to make a caliper bracket and spacers but thats easy stuff. So here is what I have so far.
xs4_zpsb136ecb7.jpg

xs5_zpsf6a8d4bb.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! Subscribed.
Nice work on the chop.

I'm also hoping to ride the TAT (I assume when you said "trans Am trail", you meant this: http://www.transamtrail.com/ ??)within the next year or two. I'm building up a 1978 Yamaha XT500 for the journey. I'll be really interested to hear your experiences. Do you have much off road riding experience? (there isn't anything 'light' about the TAT... a lot of it is serious single track)

I 'borrowed' this pic from a blog about the TAT:
IMG_0910.jpg

Yes, that is a section of the 'trail' that you'll be riding. The 'trail' makes a U-turn and drops down the left before going out of view of the photo. There is some great scenery there...

My understanding of the TAT is that its not very big-bike friendly. Most of the TAT ride reports on ADVrider are from people riding 250-500cc dual sport bikes... with the occasional DR650 or f800 BMW thrown in (both of which are relatively light for bigger bikes and very capable off road).

I love doing things differently, so I'm pumped to see you do this on an xs650! Our bikes weigh ~460 lbs stock... so what are you planning for weight reduction? I would be worried about rider fatigue with a heavy bike and barely adequate suspension travel. How are you re-valving / re-springing the R1 forks to make them work off-road?

Also, in terms of trip planning:

I assume since you live in VA, you are riding it east to west? When you reach Oregon, are you turning around and riding back? Are you shipping you bike home and flying back? I live in Maryland, so am not too far from you, and am struggling with the question of what to do once I get to Oregon...

I'm looking forward to following this one! I'm hoping that some of your ideas / experience can help me address some of my own concerns about the trip I'm planning...

Last edited:
Just watched the TAT video, and it makes me wonder if a 21" front wheel might be a better choice for that much off-road riding on rough terrain. Also, an overdriven 5th gear would let you run lower overall gearing for the single track, while keeping revs down on the wide open sections. Works Performance shocks (or equivalent) might be a good choice for rear suspension. You'll need to get that suspension dialed in before your 4000+ mi. off-road trip. JMHO

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

Got very little done today. I got some Triumph Thruxton rear shocks off a friend to try and judge how much more wheel travel I would have with the correct length. For what I will be doing, it will be plenty. Mick71b, yes I actually am going with works performance for the final product.
xs6_zps77a02d7e.jpg

79XS, we are only going to be doing just part of the TAT. Bikes are going to be shipped out to Oregon and we will fly there. We will be starting in Oregon and finishing in NM. We will then pick it up back in TN where will be picked up by friends. From what my friends tell me, is that its pretty boring ride from OK to MS. They have done this trail many times and say that its nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. One friend is going to be on an old CB500T that he is modifying for the trip, and the other will be on a newer modified W650. My bike is eventually going to get quick disconnect saddle bags as well as a tank bag. The suspension isn't going to be too over the top as most of out gear will weigh less than 30-40lbs total. I have ordered some works adjustable rear suspension to help compensate for the added weight. The front end is already adjustable, and has more than enough travel for what we are doing.

79XS, we are only going to be doing just part of the TAT. Bikes are going to be shipped out to Oregon and we will fly there. We will be starting in Oregon and finishing in NM. We will then pick it up back in TN where will be picked up by friends. From what my friends tell me, is that its pretty boring ride from OK to MS. They have done this trail many times and say that its nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. One friend is going to be on an old CB500T that he is modifying for the trip, and the other will be on a newer modified W650. My bike is eventually going to get quick disconnect saddle bags as well as a tank bag. The suspension isn't going to be too over the top as most of out gear will weigh less than 30-40lbs total. I have ordered some works adjustable rear suspension to help compensate for the added weight. The front end is already adjustable, and has more than enough travel for what we are doing.

That sounds like a fun plan. What company are you using to ship the bikes?

Also, I didn't realize that the Ok to MS part was less-extreme. I guess the Colorado part is hardest? I'm really looking forward to hearing bout your experience. When are you planning to do the ride?

Nice build Demoralizer, few questions for you.

First of all, when you swapped to the R6 front end, did you have to modify anything else besides triple trees?

Otherwise, what clutch/brake levers are you using?

This is an awesome thread. I am ALSO building an XT500 for something like this. Surprisingly since all my buddies just started riding this last year except one (guess who built all their bikes? lol) they are not quite ready to do much more than putter around country roads...and/or are riding a hardtail. However I am thinking of making a trip like this with the one guy that's been riding as long as I have and knows the ropes some. Good info here and diggin that build already!

Just a small update on this build. I ended up getting a Joker Machine tail light cause I think it fits the build perfect. I ended up using a friends cnc plasma cutter to make the bracket to hold it and the license plate as one. I also used the cnc plasma to cut me a seat pan. Lastly was the battery tray, I had a hard time coming up with one that I liked. After making 3-4 of them I finally settled on one that was simple and also made it easy to access the battery. I wanted the full size battery for the build just cause I have had bad luck and lost a lot of money messing around with shorai and anti gravity. Well onto the pics.

photo2_zps119ff34c.jpg

photo3_zps14a682a3.jpg

photo4_zpsdbaf4369.jpg

photo5_zpsab52c11d.jpg

I also got some time to fab up a rear caliper mount and got a used brembo 2 piston caliper off of ebay. Also made some wheel spacers to get everything centered properly with the new bracket.
caliperbracket_zps428095ea.jpg

I haven't yet tested it out yet but I ordered and received a 10mm offset sprocket made by Gary Poh. Great guy to deal with. I know he is probably on here but dont know his user name. It first came to be as a 530 sprocket which wont work with my build, he immediately made things right by having me send it back and milling it to specs.
photo1_zpsb469a54f.jpg

Well fabrication has been completed and now all I have to do is get everything powder coated, upholstered, and painted. Now I'm in the process of pulling the motor apart to reseal it and for paint. Here is how it sits with the new Works Performance Street Tracker shocks.

complete_zpse21d3f39.jpg

Looking real good DEMO. Subscribed. Can you tell me more about how you sourced the front wheel through a local forum, and is that a 17 inch rim?

I've got an RMZ front end that I'm going to swap onto my 82 heritage and looking for options besides Warp 9 etc. is that a Kendra front tire?

Keep up the great work looking forward to tracking along.

I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to update this at all. Since my last post I have rebuilt the motor, added 5th gear overdrive, new wiseco pistons, all new oem internal stuff, pamco, pma, hhb pipes, blah blah, powder coated the frame and wheels and did a quick assembly to make sure everything still fits. Right now I am in the process of moving and have lost my garage space. Should be completely finished with the build in a few months.
bike_zpsc70e0ff3.jpg

Very cool build. I like the overall stance and mission statement.

Any thoughts to if your going to run some sort of side cover?
What are you looking at for the seat?

Dude, SICK CB750. I usually can't stand CB750 choppers, but that one is very legit. Nicely done on it. I'm building up a cafe out of mine (some day). Good job on this build too.

So I am new to xs650's but definitely not new to bikes. My last was a CB750 chopper project I did but felt that it just wasn't practical.
photo41.jpg

I got a good deal on a 1980 xs650 with no title from my neighbor for $200. My neighbor is an elderly lady whos husband past away back in 1981, the bike has sat since in her shed with only 3400 original miles. I went through the dmv process of applying for title and after a month or two I finally received it. This is what I started with.
010-1.jpg

Shortly after getting the title a few close friends of mine approached me about doing the Trans Am Trail late 2014. I bit on the idea. So now by build begins. First step was figuring out how I was going to transform this into a semi-enduro that can handle some light off road action and 3000+ miles in 2-3 weeks. So far I have changed out the old front end for a 2006 yamaha r1 front end and had the trees converted by classified moto. Then I sourced out the front wheel through a local forum. Next was what I was going to do with the rear. I wanted an equally matched rear wheel but didn't want to go through a lot of fabrication due to time constraints and budget. I sourced a radian swing arm and found a cbr250r rear wheel. I will have to make a caliper bracket and spacers but thats easy stuff. So here is what I have so far.
xs4_zpsb136ecb7.jpg

xs5_zpsf6a8d4bb.jpg

I like that 750 Honda,Id put a round headlight and maybe a 19" front wheel on it.
Other than that it looks pretty cool to me.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back