What have you done to your XS today?

CCV with vac return?

Huh? :umm:
reed valves in there....
:sneaky:

For the crankcase breather? Check this out, I just saw it yesterday,
F4774678-7FF9-414F-A1D4-B10B7B294E86.png

going to have to look, but think the duals will be the exit, would go the exhaust ports on the zooky.

1643312016732.png

I'll prolly not use the vacuum controlled solenoid.

Yes, I see it has a vacuum hose run to it. But, does it need that to work? If not then this might be a viable alternative to the power brake check valves many of us currently use. But I think the duals are input because the single runs to the airbox.

Yes, I see it has a vacuum hose run to it. But, does it need that to work? If not then this might be a viable alternative to the power brake check valves many of us currently use. But I think the duals are input because the single runs to the airbox.
IIRC these systems feed filtered air to the exhaust on decel to finish combustion, prevent backfiring.

Aspirated air injection​

Air injection can also be achieved by taking advantage of the negative pressure pulses in the exhaust system at engine idle. A sensitive reed valve assembly called the aspirator valve is placed in the air injection pumping, which draws its air directly from the clean side of the air filter. During engine idle, brief but periodic negative pressure pulses in the exhaust system draw air through the aspirator valve and into the exhaust stream at the catalytic converter. This system, marketed as Pulse Air, was used by American Motors, Chrysler, and other manufacturers beginning in the 1970s. The aspirator provided advantages in cost, weight, packaging, and simplicity compared to the pump. Also, since there is no pump requiring engine power, parasitic losses associated with the pump are eliminated. However, the aspirator functions only at idle and so admits significantly less air within a significantly narrower range of engine speeds compared to a pump. This system is still used on modern motorcycle engines, e.g. the Yamaha AIS (Air Injection System).

Last edited:
So what do you plan to do with it, try it as an engine breather?
Yes. Have an idea that may go a bit further in recycling the oil mist.
When the partz arrive I'll start a thread.
I already got one intake reed valve from a small two stroke but packaging was not ideal for this application. Think I have the perfect spot for those reed valves so they won't go to waste.

Last edited:
So I guess the big question is do the exhaust pulses work the reed valves or does the vacuum controlled solenoid do it.

In our use; the vacuum pulses. In the original they used vacuum in the intake tween carb and head as a proxy for deceleration, opening the circuit to allow exhaust to pull in air from the air filter to complete combustion in the exhaust, but not allow exhaust to flow back through system when it's pressure is higher than that in the airbox.
Well that's my thoughts, backed by some reading on how these systems are supposed to work.

So you're saying you will "T" it into the manifold vacuum hose? On the other hand, it looks like the solenoid is mounted with two screws so maybe you can just remove and eliminate it if need be.

Oh geeeeze, I just bought the power brake check valves to install and modify my setup and now there is a NEW idea! Looking forward to reading all about it gggGary.
Last night I was talking to an old friend who is a rider but has zero mechanical aptitude. He cannot relate to my interest in these old bikes and enjoying wrenching on them. I'm thankful for this forum being a great collection of like minded gearheads. What a resource!

Finally finished up the carbs from the "Beater behind the barn bike" @Mailman wanted to see a pic. Not fancy but should be good runners.
Note the "Tygonized" fuel tee. New throttle shaft seals, had to sub in one new throttle shaft and butterfly, some other parts because of extensive corrosion. These are HS handlebar choke carbs.
KIMG0430.JPG

Last edited:
Back