What have you done to your XS today?

Fitted the clutch cush spring kit after drilling out the rivets. Once installed the half nuts on the back of the basket hit the crankcase when spun so I removed the nuts and locked them onto the tip of some spare 8mm bolts with another nut on it and used a grinder to remove 1.5mm of the thickness of the half nuts. I then re fitted the nuts, ground off the protruding thread and put a weld on them so they will not come loose. You can see from the first pic and the last pic i filed the tabs on the basket to remove the unevenness. The pistons and rings arrived today with the gaskets and seals and I can hone the cylinders and wait for the crankshaft to be assembled and balanced. The big end bearings were badly worn, over 2mm play each side so it definitely needed doing. I also ordered a new cam chain and 5th gear overdrive . Rode the wifes R.E .meteor in torrential downpour on the way home from work dodging drivers intent on mayhem.
20220202_174759.jpg
20220203_170607.jpg
20220203_175226.jpg
20220203_175449.jpg

Having trouble removing my rear wheel safely due to not having a center-stand.
A normal stand fouls the low slung exhausts; and my rear paddock stand fouls the axle nut and brake assembly.
so I bought my wife one of these.:heart:
Capture.PNG

That should do the job!:devil:

Having trouble removing my rear wheel safely due to not having a center-stand.
A normal stand fouls the low slung exhausts; and my rear paddock stand fouls the axle nut and brake assembly.
so I bought my wife one of these.:heart:
View attachment 206791
That should do the job!:devil:
Looks good! Haven't seen that one before.
You prolly know this but be sure to install blocks under the wheel you aren't removing.

Last edited:
It doesn't have a power cord, so you have that.:D:D
All her toys are battery operated...... apparently; don’t ask me:umm:

Oh I forgot to mention I bought her a new battery operated Dremel with accessories for Christmas. She really got excited when looking at the shape of the wrapping, which was exquisite.

Last edited:
Created a fixture to hoist the engine. I’ll install it on a stand (shown) and then onto a dolly. I’m not quite done.
I forgot to include the bolts for the engine to the stand when I was at the hardware store. We have the greatest Ace Hardware store locally in Beaverton, OR. It was established long before the franchises. Massive amounts of specialty hardware. I have two spare engines. Hope to get them both placed on stands tomorrow and I’ll clean the garage.
872F0D92-9B27-46E6-BE6D-F55E19566028.jpeg
EE9B1A6F-4FF8-43AF-9405-F7015AA56A8C.jpeg
A191542A-FE94-4695-ACCF-4B08E602E253.jpeg

160lb, 8 studs, that's only 20lb per stud, (add and subtract 5lb from front 4 to back 4 for the balance), heck the head gets torqued to 30ft/lb. Have to be real unlucky for that to happen, and if a stud pulled out then it would've happened on reassembly.

Back