What have you done to your XS today?

Cut the 38 mm SS bends to length, tack welded on the 40.2 mm ID sleeves I made earlier today.
Full weld will require purging with Argon, so is for another day.

Attachments

• received_477868093826700.jpeg
    received_477868093826700.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 37
Arctic XS, do you have something to use as a purging dam for each end of the tubing? I imagine you do, but if not, you could fabricate them from rubber and have a hole with fitting in the centre for connection or insert of the argon hose on one end.

Arctic XS, do you have something to use as a purging dam for each end of the tubing? I imagine you do, but if not, you could fabricate them from rubber and have a hole with fitting in the centre for connection or insert of the argon hose on one end.
Yes, something like that is the plan. I have used rubber sheet and a thin tube on earlier pipe welding jobs. Sometimes, just some duct tape or aluminium tape is all you need.

I likr
Got as far as mocking up the RH side exhaust, with the now tack welded adapters and the "Commando" muffler. I am not quite sure about the upsweep angle. Too much? Feedback appreciated 🙂
I like the upswept look: depends if you plan on using rear foot pegs.
That would dictate the amount of sweep.

I've been looking at my 2 into 1 pipes and have been thinking of adding a length of pipe with some upsweep to lengthen the overall length of the pipes.

Your setup looks pretty close to the early xs -tx pipes in pipe lengths and so should give the best overall performance.
As the 70's progressed emissions,sound and styling were the driving forces for the stock systems
It seems most of the aftermarket pipes put there gains up towards redline. I don't intend to push a 40+ year old 650 up towards redline all that much.

On the other hand being able to get the low end grunt the longer pipes provide is very satisfying.

I put actual Commando mufflers on my '83 and they look good. But the system still needs some tweaking. I need to try and bend the headpipes up a little on the ends to raise the mufflers so I can pull the axle under them. As it sits now, the mufflers need to come off .....

83ExhaustDone3.jpg

83ExhaustDone4.jpg

Been working on my '78 Special "hot rod" with BBK. Using a TCI and have all the mid bike wiring done. Tomorrow will bring it down to work on the wiring up front.
Hoping for lots of progress on Monday.

Attachments

• 20220213_160458-1.jpg
    20220213_160458-1.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220213_161307.jpg
    20220213_161307.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 48
Got as far as mocking up the RH side exhaust, with the now tack welded adapters and the "Commando" muffler. I am not quite sure about the upsweep angle. Too much? Feedback appreciated 🙂

I agree, upsweped mufflers do look good.

Your bike has an advantage if the mufflers do inhibit the axle from coming out there is no need to pull the muffler off. Your swing arm has brackets that slip out the back, (one bolt holding them on), so the rear wheel can be slid off the swing-arm with the axle in place.

Always thought this bike just looks cool
68191BB8-26AB-4309-890D-BE8198741BD1.jpeg

Last edited:
Always thought this bike just looks cool
68191BB8-26AB-4309-890D-BE8198741BD1.jpeg

Wow Doug! I couldn’t agree with you more! With the mufflers turned up like that and the cover he has on the right side engine case it has a Norton vibe, then add that beautiful front end, paint and bodywork and it looks like a modern bike. Really nice!

I fitted the manifolds and the vm34s, the boyer ignition and the drive sprocket once I had cleaned up the countershaft sleeve and the sprocket mating surface with a scotchbrite pad and torqued to 80ftlbs. Also had time to fit alternator rotor after riding the wife's RE to the bolt store for a nut for the crankshaft. (Thanks Jim). Tomorrow i will set the tappets and cam chain and the timing and turn it over a few times to get the oil circulating. If it's all good I can start it up.

Back